Aeon Soul Tulip Hair WM?

lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

Tulip hair comes with 3 files, Tulip Hair, Tulip Hair WM, and Back Filler. Even I can figure out what Back Filler is, but the WM version has left me stumped. They look essentially the same when I load them...

So I've been wondering this for awhile, and I've finally taken the time to google, read through product pages, and the readme manual, and nowhere does it mention what the WM is. Can anyone clue me in?

Comments

• Does one follow the moves of the base figure and the other have handles for manual adjustment instead?

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    edited June 2016

So far as I can tell both load all the same settings and move in the same way, same hidden helper morphs turned on (damn there are a lot of them) etc.

http://www.daz3d.com/tulip-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s product for reference

The only difference I've found is in the bone structure, which is... odd because the results look about the same when I use any of the styles (and neither looks incomplete without the other; they add the same geometry so far as I can tell.)

I'm sure it's something really obvious and dumb, but I can't seem to tell what I'm missing.

Edit: Actually the backs are different, one seems to shift to the side more smoothly, the other looks like it's trying to follow the body more. The controls seem the same though.

tulip.JPG
    250 x 382 - 21K
    Post edited by lx_2807502 on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,825
    edited June 2016

According to the product readme:

• The Hair comes in two varieties: with and without bones.

• The one with bones, will closely follow Genesis head movements (like a hood) so you will not experience the hair poking through her body, however, the morphs and movements are also affected, and therefore will not flow as naturally as they should. You should use this when you don't want to tweak the hair at all and with more static setups.

• The one without bones will still move with Genesis, but the length of the hair will not stick to her neck and shoulder. This means the morphs are free to move at their best, you may need more tweaking, but you have much more control.

Looking at it in the workspace Scene menu, fully expanded, Tulip Hair WM has all the bones of the Genesis 2/3 upper body, including abdomen, chest, collarbones and shoulder, so it will follow the movements of the body fairly closely. The WM version does not have handles; you'll need to use the included morphs.

Tulip Hair (the non-WM version) has bones, but they stop at the chest, and do not include any of the arm bones. It includes abdomen, hip and pelvis bones -- because it must, given the structure of Genesis -- but they're so far away from where the hair stops that they have no effect.

The non-WM version will have a bit more freedom of movement, because of the lack of bones, but it also means that in situations where you want it to follow the body, like turning the head, you'll need to do that manually.

I suspect WM stands for "weight mapped", but that's not really terribly useful in this context.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

Ahhh thank you, that makes sense now.

The only thing I'd come up with for WM was weight mapped too, but as you say, that didn't make much sense. 

Why is that info on that page but not the readme pdf included with the product >.>

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited June 2016

I would expect WM to mean weightmapped, but that's obvious enough for everyone to already have figured that out. So It's got to be trickier than just that.

Post edited by JOdel on