Any way to cut off everything to one side of an object?

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900

So I know there's that Iray plane thing where everything on one side of it is invisible.

Is there some function, in 3DL or Iray, where I can essentially cut an object or suppress part of an object on one 'side'?

Specifically, I'm looking at fitting hair under hats. I have Sickleyield's hat and hair thing, which is great, but really I would like to be able to just ... invisibilize everything above a certain point in the hair, rather than muck around with morphs and deformers.

Geometry editor is clunky for this sort of thing.

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Sounds like they need some kind of shader that you could apply to a primitive that makes everything inside invisible or something.

But then how would the primitive know whether you want to hide the hair, the hat or both? hmmmmmmm.

• lwaveslwaves Posts: 237

Sounds like they need some kind of shader that you could apply to a primitive that makes everything inside invisible or something.

But then how would the primitive know whether you want to hide the hair, the hat or both? hmmmmmmm.

If the invisibility part can be done then you could have it affect whatever the primitive was parented to. i.e. for a figure, hat and hair setup, you'd move the primitive to cover the 'hidden' parts of the hair, then parent it to that hair, so it only affected that. Might be one of those easier said than done things.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

I agree that the geometry editor is a bit clunky, but it's the only method I know of that does what you are describing. I shift-click "paint" various parts of the hair, make new surface groups, and change the opacity...

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

So I know there's that Iray plane thing where everything on one side of it is invisible.

Is there some function, in 3DL or Iray, where I can essentially cut an object or suppress part of an object on one 'side'?

Specifically, I'm looking at fitting hair under hats. I have Sickleyield's hat and hair thing, which is great, but really I would like to be able to just ... invisibilize everything above a certain point in the hair, rather than muck around with morphs and deformers.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't the iray plane work for this for you?  It seems right up it's alley, as I recall...

--  Morgan

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

The sectioning plane gets everything, and (to my knowledge) isn't per-object, though there's a feature under Advanced options -- when you create the plane-- that makes it sound like you can do this. In my experiments, in 4.8, the target of the node doesn't always get attached to the selected item, but even if you change the parent of the node, it still cuts across everything.

This seems like a bug to me -- you should be able to section only the selected object. The workaround, of course, is to muck with nodes in canvases, and render the cut portions separetely. That seems like more work than using the geometry editor or morph tools, which I agree leave much to be desired for a task like this.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900

I could conver to object and export and cut and reimport and hope the UV isn't messed up and... meh.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,314
    edited June 2016

Not the answer you want, but you can always render with and without the hair, and then combine the two images in post, where everything north of a line comes from image 1, and everything south from image 2.

Other that that, I think you need to take to a modeller. If you use the hexagon bridge, that would avoid the import/export bridge.

Post edited by Havos on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    mtl1 said:

I agree that the geometry editor is a bit clunky, but it's the only method I know of that does what you are describing. I shift-click "paint" various parts of the hair, make new surface groups, and change the opacity...

Probably one of the easier solutions. The problem, which would be the same as with a plane, is determining the exact angle and position where the cutoff should be.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

For 3DL, with an 'altitude' brick in Shader Mixer, you can do height based things...and it shouldn't be too hard to run a white to black 'ramp' to Opacity.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,673

How does the Iray plane that makes everything on one side invisible work?