Any tips for speeding up render times in large environments?(still)

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384
edited June 2016 in New Users

I recently bought this environment and was very excited about it until I tried to render in is.

http://www.daz3d.com/office-building-with-conference-room-items

It's a very well done setting but when I posed a simple picture of 2 people sitting in the conference room talking, I was amazed at how long it took to render. When I went to bed it was at 2-3% and at over 2000 iterations. That said, I do have a habit of selecting everything in the scene and applying the Iray Shader. Here is a little info on how I rendered and maybe this will give someone an idea of what I was doing wrong or can be doing right in the future.

G3F/G3M character, both using Iray Materials.

ALR Iray Bright Light Rig from http://www.daz3d.com/architectural-lighting-rig-for-iray

And I selected everything in the surface panel and applied the Iray uber Shader. My 2nd attempt I selected only what was in my camera view and included "Building" which as you can see is 3 stories high so that might have been a bad idea. I just didn't want to exclude parts of the building in my scene.

I am using a GTX 960 4GB, i7Core Processor 3.0 gHz

Any tips anyone could give me so I can use this environment more effectivley would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post edited by DDCreate on

Comments

• Is you GPU being used - Help>Troubleshooting>View Log?

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Not in my experiance. Even just having one or two people in a small simple scene with little to no props seems to take me up past that point and into the realm of Proccesor Rendering.

• Have you changed the render Subdivision setting on the models, or adjusted the Subdivision setting on the surfaces? Upping the mesh resolution will increase the system load.

Can you tell me what that means? lol Or even just how to do it?

• Render Subdivision level is in the Mesh Resolution group in the Parameters pane, there's one setting for each figure or prop (that is a SubD model). SubD Displacement Level is a surface setting, used only if there is a displacement map applied. Unless you have applied an HD character or are using a material set with fine details provided by displacement I wouldn't imagine they'd have been changed, and it doesn't sound as if you changed them.

Thanks Richard, I appreciate the lesson there. And no, I don't believe I have HD characters and I really don't know if anything in my materials is being provided by displacement. I don't typically change anything. I purchase, download and load into the scene until I'm happy and then render. I'm sure you guessed that by how fast you lost me! lol

So should I change the Render Subdivision levels in Mesh Relolutions in Parameters or adjust the SubD Displacement level in Surfaces? Or both? You said upping the mesh reslolution increases the system load? Is that bad? If I haven't should I decrease it? Or are you saying that if I didn't change anything then it's all as it should be and I'm just going to have to deal with the render time? I'm not trying to be thick, I'm just not as conversive in Daz-lish as most people.

Thanks for your help so far,

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,444
    edited June 2016

I only have a 4gb 770 GTX, and I just rendered a scene with Stonemason's Urban Future 4 Street Level, 1 genesis 3 male, 1 genesis 2 male, both wearing full MOS Invasion sets with props and 4 CyberMech 4s with weapons.

You ought to be able to do a few characters.

You mostly won't be using the SubD Displacement Level, few characters use Displacement these days. The largest concern is the Render SubD level. If its 3, thats high and might cause issues if you have multiple characters at that SubD level.

You might also try adjusting your texture compression in the Iray Render Settings Advanced.  Try Low: 256, High 512.

Post edited by evilded777 on
    edited June 2016

It's not like this in ALL scenes. I did one in a living room last night with 3 G3 characters, Iray Everything and more lights and it rendered great in about 12mins. So I really don't know what the story is.

http://www.daz3d.com/i13-productivity-area-and-poses

This one rendered "okay" as far as speed but the picture looked like the lens was glazed or something. No crisp colors. Kind of blurred. And I wasn't doing anything complicated. Just a quick one to see what it looked like when I got it.

Post edited by DDCreate on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,469

What are your system specs so we can see if its a hardware thing. You may be using to much for what your system can handle

i7 5820k CPU 3.30 GHz, 28GB RAM, GTX 960 4GB Graphics card. Oh, and the case is kind of a pearl white. That's not important I just thought I'd brag.