14567810»

Comments

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

riftwitch said:
    SmallFry said:
    riftwitch said:
    K T Ong said:

Pity they never dressed Aquaman up like that. Just the thought of it makes me drool... %-P

And hey, how about showing some of the heroes/heroines you created? (Doesn't matter to me whether they're rendered or hand-drawn.)

Okay, here's two quick renders of three of the male characters; two of them aren't wearing much. There are things I'm not happy with on the outfits, but these are close to what's in my head. The second render is the right-hand guy from the first render, at three different sizes. He grows by summoning and merging with his counterparts from parallel realities, so he gets more disproportionate as he gets bigger. I don't have uniforms done for the rest of the team (18 members), so the only renders I have are of them in bathing suits.

In the first picture, the gent on the left reminds me of one of the old Micronauts figures. Was that intentional? If not, thanks for the trip down memory lane! :-)

Nope. I read the Micronauts comic when it came out (I was in college back then), but I created the four-armed guy when I was in 7th or 8th grade. Long before the Micronauts toys were even out. Over in this thread (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13364/) it looks like Etujedi is thinking about doing an expansion to Four Arms for Genesis, including six arms, so I may actually be able to get this character to look a lot more like I had originally envisioned.

The new Freak 5 products look like they could be useful for some of my characters, an old villain in particular. We'll have to see after I pick F5 up.

Okay, I just realized that you were referring to the guy on the left, but I was talking about the guy in the middle. D'oh! I shouldn't answer posts when I'm half asleep. But in his case, he still predates the Micronauts by at least a decade. The skin texture isn't really what I want (it should be a lot more Giger-esque), but this is the best I've come up with so far. It could change in time, though.

To put things in perspective, I started creating superheroes when the old Batman show was on tv in the sixties. Yeah, I'm that old. :ohh:

• ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

I use DAZ3D/Poser, Bryce, and other tools, and I get a lot of flack for it for my Digital comic. But interestingly, more mainstream artists are incorporating 3D/CGI into their workflow. Here's a recent article at Newsarama interviewing David Finch who admits he uses 3D (but does not identify what he uses, referring to it as a "3D Brush":

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/david-finch-justice-league-america-3d-art.html

I could almost swear that scene with Katana uses Stonemason's Walled City. I'm pretty sure the Catwoman scene uses V4 (the pose and face structure look familiar).
    We usually get some negative feedback (most often the stiffness and the Uncanny Valley argument) for using this tech more directly than artists like Finch, Greg Horn, Greg Land, Mike Mayhew, among others. I think John Van Fleet (Antfarm) did outstanding work but didn't get as much recognition as he should have had.

Anyway, just saying out loud what I was thinking. :coolsmile:

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

3D Brush is an actual program, could well be he was referring to that.

edited March 2013

3D Brush is an actual program, could well be he was referring to that.

Could be, but they call that program 3D Coat now, so I wasn't sure. But there's something familiar with the figure work and backgrounds used in those pics.

Post edited by Servant on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited December 1969

...OK not to start any controversy I'll stick to #4.

I'd love to have the power over traffic. I am so tired of walking up to cross a street only to have a gazillion cars show up right at the same moment and make me wait forever.

Next (on a related theme) is the power to change traffic signals at whim. So many times I have missed a bus connection because I got stuck at a bloody red light.

Then there is the power to command a clear checkout lane at the supermart. No more octogenarian with 144 cans of cat food (that all have to be rung up individually - this actually happened one afternoon), no more person with a trolley piled higher than K2 in front of me and three dozen coupons to redeem, and no more shoppers with conflicts that result in the cashier having to call for the manager (who is usually on break at the time).

Finally there is the power to hide in plain sight so annoying or creepy people on the bus or tram don't bother me.

Not totally earth shattering powers but ones which make the daily life a bit more tolerable.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK not to start any controversy I'll stick to #4.

I'd love to have the power over traffic. I am so tired of walking up to cross a street only to have a gazillion cars show up right at the same moment and make me wait forever.

Next (on a related theme) is the power to change traffic signals at whim. So many times I have missed a bus connection because I got stuck at a bloody red light.

Then there is the power to command a clear checkout lane at the supermart. No more octogenarian with 144 cans of cat food (that all have to be rung up individually - this actually happened one afternoon), no more person with a trolley piled higher than K2 in front of me and three dozen coupons to redeem, and no more shoppers with conflicts that result in the cashier having to call for the manager (who is usually on break at the time).

Finally there is the power to hide in plain sight so annoying or creepy people on the bus or tram don't bother me.

Not totally earth shattering powers but ones which make the daily life a bit more tolerable.

Super-speed would pretty much cover most of these (well, except for the checkout lanes. Even Flash can't speed that up.)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited December 1969

...yeah, but when on a bus super speed doesn't work very well.

...and it tends to rain a lot where I live so I don't want to run fast because I'd be pelted by nearly supersonic raindrops (and that would hurt).