help with character hair modeling

jonathanokelley81jonathanokelley81 Posts: 60
edited June 2016 in Art Studio

Help modeling character hair,

With the help of other users I have gotten help with some good tutorials on modeling hair for use in daz studio and other programs in general. This has been helpful but I still haven’t quite got it, I was wondering if any one of content artist might be able to give me some pointers. I keep running into problems with building up layers of different strands when trying to model hair I have MODO 901 and Zbrush 4r7. The hair models I have made have no symmetry, when I say that I mean that they look like a complete mess. I have tried looking at some of the different models that is have purchased through the Daz store, but the big problem is that I can’t tell how the strands fit together or are laid out as a whole. I get the individual strands and how to create them, but that is where the problem begins. I know there has to be some method on fitting the strands together, but I am having trouble putting it into practice. I have countless Digital tutors and other tutorials, but none of the ones I have found have a method for fitting the strands together as a whole. I see all kinds of awesome hair models for the figures in daz studio and know that this would be the best place to ask. The problems I see with the Dreamlight tutorials is that they seem way to basic, and still to this date haven’t found one that covers modeling character hair. This is the problem I see as a whole you find all kinds of tutorial material on 3d modeling but I have fond very few that cover modeling 3d character hair. Well modeling it in a way that can be used or compared to the models that are in the daz store, I know that real-time character hair is a search parameter but there is very little to be found on modeling 3d character hair. I have the tutorial that was in the 3D Artist magazine by tom parker in issue 76, and the hexagon hair modeling tutorial by Valea this touches on layering strands, but I am having trouble I guess you would say with the layout vs. the strands themselves. I have the hair modeling tutorials that have been authored by little fox in the Runtime DNA store it covers most everything but putting the strands together.  I have searched everywhere but I am still having trouble finding material that touches on the problems that I am having in the creation of character hair. I have tried here before but I am hoping that I can get help from some of the content creators here for the daz store and give me some pointers on putting strands together to create something on par with the hair models I have purchased and seen in the daz store.     

hair screen shot.jpg
1360 x 1026 - 303K
Post edited by jonathanokelley81 on

Comments

• Generally I think people making layered, transmapped hair go for the final shape rather than trying to build up from a series of separate strips.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

What Richard said is always the impression I got.  If you go to you tube and just watch someone modelling hair, they start with a big blob and just shape it around the head and slowly work into large chunks of hair. They aren't really tutorials but if you google zbrush hair demos or zbrush hair modelling you will see what I am talking about.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

....and because they are transmapped, keep in mind how much the tranmap will leave of the "lock".  the pieces you are showing would be short, indeed, once you start putting the transmaps on the pieces.

• jonathanokelley81jonathanokelley81 Posts: 60
    edited June 2016

....and because they are transmapped, keep in mind how much the tranmap will leave of the "lock".  the pieces you are showing would be short, indeed, once you start putting the transmaps on the pieces.

that sounds like good advice thanks

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • that didnt post tothe rite sopt that sounds like good advice thanks it is appericated

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited June 2016

Fixed it for ya!  And you're welcome. :)

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 758

With modo, I would use curves to draw all the hair strands.

Just draw a few first, defining the main directions of the hair, duplicate them and move them a bit, then adjust those, and just keep duplicating, moving and adjusting again. Use a brush to adjust the curves as opposed to adjusting them 1 point at a time, that way you can move as many curves as you need in a more natural way.

When you're done, you can draw polygons along the curves with curve extrude.