Why Is My Pie Crust Still Frozen Complaint Thread

Comments

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited October 2012

Skiriki said:
    I suffer from depression so does that make me emo?

No. "Emo" is more or less "pretending to be sad and depressed for no real reason whatsoever, other than to make yourself appear 'cool' somehow".

The folks I've heard calling Nightwish an emo band must be misguided then ^_^
    They're anything but depressing looking XD

Eh. I figured emo was a rude way immature people used to address people that were suffering from depression or liked specific things. I learned something new today ^_^

Post edited by Rezca on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

I was getting confused who was who in that movie. I could only recognize Milla.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Sure. But since it is hard to say who is actually depressed and who is just pretending, a lot of emo-accusations run the risk of stepping on toes.

On the other hand, I suffer from genuine depression and what I want to tell people pretending to be weepy-sad 'cause it magically makes them "cool"... well, my commentary is not going to be exactly friendly.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Skiriki said:

No. "Emo" is more or less "pretending to be sad and depressed for no real reason whatsoever, other than to make yourself appear 'cool' somehow".

The folks I've heard calling Nightwish an emo band must be misguided then ^_^
    They're anything but depressing looking XD

Eh. I figured emo was a rude way immature people used to address people that were suffering from depression or liked specific things. I learned something new today ^_^

Emo == Hardcore Punk in the 1980s. Lunchmeat and Fire Party are two bands I recall from the 80's that were in the Emo scene. In the 1990's emo went Grunge (Nirvana) and Emo-Pop by Weezer (I think), but hardcore again for the 21st century for example in The Emo Diaries out of Deep Elm Records (google is telling me) and (lighter) My Chemical Romance.

edited December 1969

Sure, as a musical trend. But "emo" when applied to people is slightly different.

edited December 1969

A strategy for rebelling against (perceived) reason, order and logic of the grown-up world ;) Aw, back to work. Egg sandwiches for lunch, don't rhyme with much but were nice to munch at lunch :)

edited December 1969

But of course.

edited December 1969

random: Eggs for lunch are the new beans. Unfortunately gassy :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

[

i think Lela is the cyclops lady in Futurama too.

Fifth Element is brilliant. sometimes i watch it twice in a row.

Bilbo: "you're a monster Zorg"
    Zorg: "i know"

...here is my Leela.

Like Leeloo, she has red hair and two eyes.

leela_genesis_test.jpg
    800 x 800 - 348K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

...well may be saying "bye" for good soon.

Nothing to do with 3D or anything like that .

Rather, most likely will find myself out on the streets as I have been unable to find a place I can afford. Where I live has one of the highest average rental rates in the nation in spite of the fact we are lagging behind in the so called "economic recovery". To afford it I would need to earn twice what I do. Managers and landlords have been jacking up rents obscenely after someone moves out as there is no rent control here anymore.

What really PO's me is that I have a steady job that I have been in for seventeen years but unfortunately what I earn is no longer enough to support the ludicrous rents here thanks to all the upscale development and gentrification.

City fathers say they want to combat homelessness, but by bowing down to the developers they are only helping to force hard working low income people out on the streets.

...you lose your home, you usually lose your job as well.

...guess I'll need to develop a taste for cheap fortified wine, malt liquor, and Big Macs tossed in the dumpster because they sat on the hot rack too long.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    [

i think Lela is the cyclops lady in Futurama too.

Fifth Element is brilliant. sometimes i watch it twice in a row.

Bilbo: "you're a monster Zorg"
    Zorg: "i know"

...here is my Leela.

Like Leeloo, she has red hair and two eyes.

Like this a real lot

likes.png
    100 x 100 - 6K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well may be saying "bye" for good soon.

Nothing to do with 3D or anything like that .

Rather, most likely will find myself out on the streets as I have been unable to find a place I can afford. Where I live has one of the highest average rental rates in the nation in spite of the fact we are lagging behind in the so called "economic recovery". To afford it I would need to earn twice what I do. Managers and landlords have been jacking up rents obscenely after someone moves out as there is no rent control here anymore.

What really PO's me is that I have a steady job that I have been in for seventeen years but unfortunately what I earn is no longer enough to support the ludicrous rents here thanks to all the upscale development and gentrification.

City fathers say they want to combat homelessness, but by bowing down to the developers they are only helping to force hard working low income people out on the streets.

...you lose your home, you usually lose your job as well.

...guess I'll need to develop a taste for cheap fortified wine, malt liquor, and Big Macs tossed in the dumpster because they sat on the hot rack too long.

oh noes, I'm really really hoping it doesn't come to that. Hoping real hard.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Sure. But since it is hard to say who is actually depressed and who is just pretending, a lot of emo-accusations run the risk of stepping on toes.

On the other hand, I suffer from genuine depression and what I want to tell people pretending to be weepy-sad 'cause it magically makes them "cool"... well, my commentary is not going to be exactly friendly.

I'm with ya there. Seriously, wtf is 'cool' about depression?!? I'd trade anything to have it vanish and never return!

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Spyro said:
    This is the annoying raytrace shadows I'm talking about. NO REAL NEWS STUDIO WOULD LIGHT UP THE REPORTERS LIKE THIS!

OK. For TV. Nearly there. Right now there is very little contrast, and there should be. The hair and upper body need to be backlit so that a bright "rim" of light falling from the rear is the brightest part. Multiple shadows are a killer, there should be one under the chin (and nose) and that's all. The face needs to be brighter than the body but not as bright as the rim light from the back.

You are so clever! Thank you very much, some fantastic ideas here... I shall give it a go with raytrace lights.

Back lights behind the characters x2 (considering there are two characters)

One low light (below the chin and nose) X2 (for two characters)

I assume spot lights are best for this... Or should I use linear point lights instead (they have more control than standard point lights)?? Should these replace the existing lights that are focused on the actors?

edited October 2012

Spyro said:
    ps1borg said:
    Spyro said:
    This is the annoying raytrace shadows I'm talking about. NO REAL NEWS STUDIO WOULD LIGHT UP THE REPORTERS LIKE THIS!

OK. For TV. Nearly there. Right now there is very little contrast, and there should be. The hair and upper body need to be backlit so that a bright "rim" of light falling from the rear is the brightest part. Multiple shadows are a killer, there should be one under the chin (and nose) and that's all. The face needs to be brighter than the body but not as bright as the rim light from the back.

You are so clever! Thank you very much, some fantastic ideas here... I shall give it a go with raytrace lights.

Back lights behind the characters x2 (considering there are two characters)

One low light (below the chin and nose) X2 (for two characters)

I assume spot lights are best for this... Or should I use linear point lights instead (they have more control than standard point lights)?? Should these replace the existing lights that are focused on the actors?

Light on a per-figure basis.

You will need to position a light, a spot is good, so it casts a shadow under the chin and nose, in other words shining from a position above the eyeline. Position another spot above and behind the figure and get a real bright line happening in hair and across shoulders. Then you can assess how it looks and perhaps toss in a point light close to the face with falloff to make one or the other side of the face brighter.

If you really want to go for it with a lot of lights see here
    http://www.litepanels.com/language/pages/broadcast_lighting_template_01.php
    but is overkill really for the setup you have.

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Ps1Borg! That is really helpful! I'll be working on that shortly. I think I had the right idea with the lighting but my positioning and intensities were all wrong lol!

Thanks for the link too, it was a good read. and I agree, it's a little overkill for the rendering and set.

I'm really starting to like these point lights! Been incorporating them ever since you suggested it for the jungle render project I did!

edited October 2012

Welcome. Also lots of fun to be had kitbashing the properties of any given light with a surface shader :)

edited October 2012

This is the best I can do with the DSON importer this time around. Don't know whether poke-away is working but seems to be a little better than the last effort. Is random mesh deformations in places as if the polys are rotating. No IK's is weird.

SOC10604.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 263K
    edited December 1969

random: Had a meet with some people from next year's job after work, they seemed very clueful and efficient. Thought that was an auspicious state to find them in and was kinda pleased.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

whifff did the pie crust thaw? scents yummyness

edited December 1969

started to watch Farscape. The main guy looked familiar but I did not know where I saw him. I decided to watch a town named Mercy and there was the guy from Farscape in that episode.

I did eventually get to sleep. I decided I was too tired to watch a Town named Mercy.

I choose to watch Farscape because Netflix recommended it to me and I thought the promo image looked interesting. Just looked it up on Netflix. The actor's name is Ben Browder.

edited December 1969

whifff did the pie crust thaw? scents yummyness

It did, eventually. And it was tasty!

edited December 1969

*sniff* no pie? waaaaa. Cake?

CK.png
    374 x 260 - 153K
    edited December 1969

watching the rest of the first episode of Farscape.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited October 2012

Skiriki said:

The music: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo
    As far as the look, it's basically goth/punk.
    Each generation has to define itself in a way it can consider its own.
    Emo is just one of the latest.

We can all be victims of the latest fads. Me in 1990 sporting a mullet, for example (with my niece Julia).

mullet.jpg
    530 x 600 - 36K
    Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

started to watch Farscape. The main guy looked familiar but I did not know where I saw him. I decided to watch a town named Mercy and there was the guy from Farscape in that episode.

I did eventually get to sleep. I decided I was too tired to watch a Town named Mercy.

I choose to watch Farscape because Netflix recommended it to me and I thought the promo image looked interesting. Just looked it up on Netflix. The actor's name is Ben Browder.

The series or the movie? There was supposed to be webisodes of a fifth series happening but haven't heard about it for a while.

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

The series or the movie? There was supposed to be webisodes of a fifth series happening but haven't heard about it for a while.

The series. I do not know much about it other than Netflix recommended it. The guy who plays John was in an episode of Doctor Who. In Doctor who the actor had facial hair but in Farscape the guy is cleaned shaved.

Oh my John is nude. now he is dressed.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    We can all be victims of the latest fads. Me in 1990 sporting a mullet, for example (with my niece Julia).

But of course. It is just that sometimes some fads are... less tactful, politely put.

edited December 1969

My niece today. She's obviously into cosplay. She a great manga artist, if you're on DA, look for "Jutari".

julia.jpg
    486 x 486 - 25K
    edited December 1969

To put in my take on depression, as I just finished taking my meds, I can definitely agree there is nothing "cool" about having the real thing.

This discussion has been closed.