OT: Intel Release First Ever Desktop Deco-Core Processor

Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,995
edited June 2016 in The Commons

Yes you hear right Intel has released the first ever Deco-Core Desltop CPU.. So imagine having a CPU with 10 cores and 20 threads be very cool, but there is one small/large caveat it will cost $1,723 to own one..  With all those cores be interesting to see how much 3D rendering might be..  Just a shame it costs a ton, but I don't think it will be long till we see CPU's like this become more mainstream..

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/31/intel-debuts-its-first-10-core-cpu-the-core-i7-extreme-edition/

One thing forgot to mention this processor like the Intel 8 and 6 Core CPU's use the 2011-v3 socket..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,653

hard for me to get excited. I have a 6700K and it's pretty fast and while the extra cores "might" give me more rendering speed, I use my PC for gaming, modeling and video work also and the new CPUs are still only at 3GHz - 3.4GHz which isn't any help IMO. When they come out with a stock 5 GHz CPU, then I will jump for joy, LOL.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,995

I think the issue is as the article states they are reaching the limit of how fast CPU's with stock Intel heatsinks can go before they melt.. So rather than speed you add in more cores, so you could see this as a stop gap measure so to speak until they can solve the heat issues that you would have with faster porcessors..

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    ghosty12 said:

I think the issue is as the article states they are reaching the limit of how fast CPU's with stock Intel heatsinks can go before they melt.. So rather than speed you add in more cores, so you could see this as a stop gap measure so to speak until they can solve the heat issues that you would have with faster porcessors..

There are a few different ways to make processors faster:

Reduce the logic voltage.  If you look at a modern CPU, it runs at around 1.3v.  That's a pretty small logic band for the transistors to function at.  But, less voltage means less power consumed per transisitor.  Which means you can get faster switching, and faster speeds.  But it's still limited by thermal solutions and size.

Reduce size.  The shorter the traces and smaller the actual transistors and gates, the less distance signals have to travel, which means faster processing.  This is limited by fabrication processes, and is rapidly approaching dimensional limits (at 14nm, a single circuit trace inside the CPU is only about 200 molecules of silicon thick.  The separation between the traces gets smaller too, which means inductive capacitance and inductive reactance start causing issues in such nearby traces, meaning we have to find better substrates and processes to reduce these effects.  It also means that the heat that is generated is concentrated into a smaller area.

So there is a lot of interacting issues (and significant limiting factors) that we are getting really close to.  So don't expect to see CPUs get too much faster.  We are approaching hard limits, without switching away from semi-conductor technology and going to something else like optical computing.

But making bigger chips with more cores is fairly simple.  You just get fewer chips per silicon wafer, which means higher cost.  And more heat total, due to the additional cores, so increased cooling requirements.

But that only helps if the software is capable of efficiently utilizing multiple threads/cores to get the work done......parallel processing software design and architecture is a science all its own, and not a lot of software really uses it efficiently except in a very few small areas.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,073
    edited June 2016

But Intel has already released 18 core (36 threads) processors in 2014

http://ark.intel.com/products/81061/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v3-45M-Cache-2_30-GHz

Post edited by Artini on
  • AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 791

Yeah, Xeon's have been around with many cores for a while. This is an i7 which I assume is what is meant by "desktop CPU".

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,299

hard for me to get excited. I have a 6700K and it's pretty fast and while the extra cores "might" give me more rendering speed, I use my PC for gaming, modeling and video work also and the new CPUs are still only at 3GHz - 3.4GHz which isn't any help IMO. When they come out with a stock 5 GHz CPU, then I will jump for joy, LOL.

It's been my understanding that 3.5+ GHz is about the limit because of heat problems.  Perhaps a bit more with hefty cooling plumbing.  But without another technology breakthrough the thermodynamics is the speed brick wall.  Thus the efforts at parallelization.  I remember my first parallelized project back in the mid '70s.  Two separate computers each the size of a small refrigerator. surprise

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    hphoenix said:
    So there is a lot of interacting issues (and significant limiting factors) that we are getting really close to.  So don't expect to see CPUs get too much faster.  We are approaching hard limits, without switching away from semi-conductor technology and going to something else like optical computing.

A prediction we've been hearing annually since 1985 or so.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,707

...did they do benchmarks for Renderman or Iray in CPU mode?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,707

It's been my understanding that 3.5+ GHz is about the limit because of heat problems.  Perhaps a bit more with hefty cooling plumbing.  But without another technology breakthrough the thermodynamics is the speed brick wall.  Thus the efforts at parallelization.  I remember my first parallelized project back in the mid '70s.  Two separate computers each the size of a small refrigerator. surprise

...yeah one solution I am looking at is dual 8 core Xeons (which also use the LGA2011-V3 socket). 12 more processor cores and around 400$ less than the Broadwell-E.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,418

origin is offering it on their two heavy weights 

origin 10 cores.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 311K
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    kyoto kid said:

...did they do benchmarks for Renderman or Iray in CPU mode?

Do any of the big sites bench iray? Octane is usually the only one I see.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,995
    Artini said:

But Intel has already released 18 core (36 threads) processors in 2014

http://ark.intel.com/products/81061/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v3-45M-Cache-2_30-GHz

Yeah multicore Xeon Processors have been around for a long time but they are mainly aimed at corporations, ISP's and large businesses that require that sort of equipment as the is Xeon processor is mainly used in servers..  This 10 core processor is aimed and the destop PC market but for those who want the raw power and have the money to throw around.. :D

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,418

this is the australian price on origin custom builds only place here so far can see offering it 

origion pro prices.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 266K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,881

Get a Noctua ND-15

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

The real limit is fab process size.  Regardless of how much you cool and overvolt something, the electrons have to travel a distance through the silicon.  The smaller the process size, the shorter the distances, the faster it can finish instructions.  The 14nm process currently in use by Intel has a theoretical limit around 5 to 6 GHz.  Of course, you need LN2 cooling and over-voltage driving to get it anywhere near that.  And those conditions will also wear out the chip a LOT faster.

This is why the 1080 GTX cards run so much faster on stock cooling than the Maxwell-based 900 series.  Going from a 28nm to a 16nm size is a HUGE change.  Going to a FinFET process also helps, as it reduces the core voltage the chip runs at.

But we'll have to wait and see what the next big change will be beyond the 14nm process in current CPUs.  There are a lot of technical hurdles to overcome to get things even smaller (and thus faster).....

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the 10-core is an i7 ?

trying to find if is on the dell site yet.  mebbe with a payment plan even.