Glass, my ass!

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

So I'm learning shaders tonight. Made a simple scene just a glass ball in a simple environment.

Made a primate and applied the glass shader to it and in open GL it looks vaguely glass-like but when I do a software render it looks like complete crap. What am I doing wrong?

glass_1.jpg
1280 x 752 - 457K
glass_2.jpg
1280 x 752 - 314K

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited October 2012

What is your Advanced Render Settings Max Ray Trace Depth set to. To get the Shader working properly you might need to go as high as 6 and this will really increase your render times.

Also it could be down to the lighs you have in your scene, what is your lighting?

Post edited by Szark on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

I just have two distant lights, a key at 125% and a fill at 30%.

I've tried more rays and it still shows up all white.

edited December 1969

and what shadows are you using on these lights?

edited October 2012

No shadows on the fill and deep shadows on the key. I'm trying a render now with 12 rays to see if that helps. Gonna be some time before it's finished rendering.

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
    edited December 1969

No need for 12 if 6 won't do it. Try using RayTraced shadows on the Key.

edited December 1969

When my test render finsihes I will see if I can test this also.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

Assuming this is DS, which version? There was a bug in refraction in the release version of 4.5, which the newer beta fixes (3Delight fixes were a major reason for its release). Also which glass shader is this?

edited December 1969

Yes, it's Daz 4.5. And the glass shader is just the default one in the content library.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Assuming this is DS, which version? There was a bug in refraction in the release version of 4.5, which the newer beta fixes (3Delight fixes were a major reason for its release). Also which glass shader is this?

Oh now that's good to know, I actually gave up a render because of lighting issues, could well have been the refraction that was doing it.

Is the beta actually stable though? Obviously it's a beta, and a beta is as a beta is, but if it's stable enough to use properly then I'd like to try the render I gave up with!

edited December 1969

Thanks Richard I missed that one.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

Yes, it's Daz 4.5. And the glass shader is just the default one in the content library.

Where in the Content Library? I seem to recall that some of the Shader Mixer presets were in need of fixing, though they may have received it since then.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Also some of them require a paired camera...if it's the caustic glass one, it needs a camera set up for caustics to go with it...

edited December 1969

Looks to me like it still isn't fixed. Had a quick look at it in the Shader mixer but with my level of knowledge I couldn't see anything wrong. :(

edited October 2012

mjc1016 said:
    Also some of them require a paired camera...if it's the caustic glass one, it needs a camera set up for caustics to go with it...
    it never needed a Camera before but something to try.
    Post edited by Szark on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The default camera in DS didn't have 'caustics' turned on...maybe that's changed in 4.5...but up until now, it hasn't.

Found that out when trying to build my own glass shader, based off the included one...I never could get that one to work, but suddenly when I had the camera for my own shader set up, the included one worked correctly.

edited December 1969

Speaking of cameras, is the f/stop vale represent the actual f/stop. If I set it to 16 would that be the same as setting my irl camera's f/stop to 16 or does the value represent another abstract?