Parameters operating strangely

MJWMJW Posts: 516

I am sure there must be a good reason, but I seem to have a lot of occasions when I can't make the parameters like x, y, and z rotate operate in the normal way. The character (usually) rotates around a completely illogical focus and often two of the rotational aspects are almost the same.  So to tun a character in this suituation through 90 degrees, while staying 'on the ground' can be nigh on impossible. Today, for example, I ended up moving the environemnt to match the recalcitrant figure(s). Is there a switch or button that sets the parameters to 'world' form, please?

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,216

The parameters can suffer "gimball lock", where rotating an earlier setting brings the alter settings into alignment and removes one of the usual axes. The widgets in the viewport don't suffer this if, in Tool Settings, you set them to use World coordinates. Odd centres can result if you are rotating using the figure node ("Genesis 3 Female", say) and the hip has been translated away from the figure node.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2016

A dirty fix is to create a small primitive sphere, move it inside the offending figure where it can't be seen, then parent the figure to the sphere. Use the rotation controls on the sphere and the figure will follow. (In other words, grab it by the sphere and the body will surely follow!)

Post edited by Petercat on
  • MJWMJW Posts: 516

Thanks Petercat, but that would presumably need the sphere to be exactly centred.

Richard, I think this is what I want, but of course I then need to remember......

It happens a lot.

• MJWMJW Posts: 516

Some time on, and I am confused again. I have been struggling to make a figure rotate on its own axes (at the zero point), but it insists on doing so round a point some distance away. I have reset every parameter in the tool settings pane with no success. It has a commercial pose set, which could be the issue (but why?) because if I zero the figure everything works normally. This happens fairly frequently but I have got fed up of managing figures by remote control so to speak, so I hope there is an answer.

• That sounds as if the hip is translated away from the figure, and you are trying to rotate the figure. Either reset the x and z translations on the hip, and position the figure using the figure node, or rotate using the hip. If a commercial product from the Daz store uses the hip for more than adjusting placement relative to others figures in a group pose please reprot it as a possible bug.