StrangeFate's stuff: Tribal Weapons promos.

Comments

• Wow! Looks fantastic! 

But I agree with Robert; it's nice to have the option to switch between "fantasy" and "medieval" 

• StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 758

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe these days.

Armor is almost done, just a few parts left to finish painting and rigging. Yesterday curiosity got the betetr of me and decided to play around with Geoshells and things to do with them.

So with the armor I'll probably include a Geoshell with dirt and one for a few warpaints, 2-3 probably. Not sure all of thgem will be monochrome and easy to recolor, but the first one is anyway.

• Gorgeous! 

I have a couple of technical questions, as I'm just starting to teach myself about this sort of thing: 

Are you using ZBrush for this? Blender? 

And for textures, are you using Substance Painter? 

Thanks! 

@OdinVonD - Modo for everything 3D, and Painter mostly for 2D

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,253

You are really talented at texturing

edited April 2020

Lilweep - I just often throw stuff at things until something sticks.

Came up with an alternate decoration for the skull, reusing a piece I had laying around from something else. A morph switches between the 2 variants.

Textures not final yet. Now that everything's textured we're finishing the rigging and after that, when everything's assembled properly I'll do a quick texture pass fixing some things I don't like and shifting some tones etc.
    Some metals look too similar when they shouldn't and other things feel a bit off.

Post edited by StrangeFate on
  • Mr. Strangefate, you make goooooood outfits! 

cool

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,779

Oh, I love that disk as an alternate for the skull. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,282

Nice that'll be very useful

• Romulus71Romulus71 Posts: 142

Can't wait!

Not really visible in the image below, but the armor is close to done. Roguey is finishing the rigging the of the waist piece, which is also the most complex but everything else is done.

I wasn't sure how to make the torso pieces work properly on all the different figure shapes and I didn't want things to get distorted when they adapt so... as it is now, some of the pieces have a lot of morphs, JCMs and rigidity maps to prevent warping that corect and make them work with most shapes. I've been making sure that things work or are adjustable to work with the different body extremes.

The chest belt for example looks just as good on a goblin as it does on the G8 Ogre and all the Orcs and muscled figures in between and has about 20 morphs that allow you to fit it to any shape (so far), which is what I've been using to do the supported shapes, rather than making unique throwaway morphs for several shapes.

Quick viewport render with Dain 8 I believe.

• So I've been wanting to start experimenting with modeling clothing for Genesis 8 characters as well. Do you have any tutorials you'd recommend for someone wanting to get started on that sort of thing? 

Hmm not really OdinVonD, I usually just google up keywords when I'm stuck with something related to Daz. The official Daz documentation is outdated and incomplete and the rest is scattered all over the net.

• Yeah that's what I'm finding as well. There's some stuff out there for creating basic objects, but not much to help with clothing on a Genesis 8 figure. Thanks anyways! 

There are some tutorials in the daz store regarding rigging content etc, like for example this one and the series it is part of:

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-content-creation-mastery-part-6-rigging-and-morphing-clothing-items

Im not suggesting this is a good starting point or anything, as i havent watched it.

Working on Shapes support while Roguey pulls her hair trying to rig the Waist with all the moving parts, in a way that will deform and still work with most shapes...

Rather than doing custom morphs for the different shapes/characters I decided to add all the morphs and rigging necessary to all the pieces to allow them to be deformed to match (hopefully) any shape.
    Other tan the Ogre Belly piece which was a nightmare to accomodate and needed a custom morph, all other pieces use combinations or morphs to shift, expand, thicken and otherwise adapt the armor/clothing as needed, so that it doesn't only just fit, but can be bulked up again to look imposing on bigger characters like the Ogre.

There will be custom shapes with the armor, but other than the Ogre belly piece, they're all being done with the included morphs, which I hope will mean that anyone will be able to adapt the pieces to almost any type of new body.

Parts are not mirrored yet, so they only exist on 1 side atm :)

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,578

As usual, your attention to detail is much appreciated, Mario! Looking forward to this release and getting back into DS. Hope you're doing well in your neck of the woods (and everybody else).

- Greg

• Amazing stuff! 

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,074

Holy wow

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,924

are those knickers separate?

I can see many of my boys just wearing them with the helmet devil

• Working on Shapes support while Roguey pulls her hair trying to rig the Waist with all the moving parts, in a way that will deform and still work with most shapes...

Rather than doing custom morphs for the different shapes/characters I decided to add all the morphs and rigging necessary to all the pieces to allow them to be deformed to match (hopefully) any shape.
    Other tan the Ogre Belly piece which was a nightmare to accomodate and needed a custom morph, all other pieces use combinations or morphs to shift, expand, thicken and otherwise adapt the armor/clothing as needed, so that it doesn't only just fit, but can be bulked up again to look imposing on bigger characters like the Ogre.

There will be custom shapes with the armor, but other than the Ogre belly piece, they're all being done with the included morphs, which I hope will mean that anyone will be able to adapt the pieces to almost any type of new body.

Parts are not mirrored yet, so they only exist on 1 side atm :)

That looks awesome

Josh - Thanks!

WendyLuvsCatz - They are a separate piece, made of fine leather, guaranteed not to chafe... and why not, the helmet does provide all the protection the body needs!

Greg - All well here, thanks. Been in quarantine since about a month with a few weeks still to go which may or may not turn into more weeks, but at least we can focus on work.

Looks great. Once again, your attention to detail is very much appreciated

• Omg! So glad I found this thread. I absolutely love both your's and Roguey's works! Truly epic and awesome on so many levels. I love this upcoming armor and already have ideas for use of it! Going to fit right in with my medieval themed images I want to do. I love that both of you are working together on stuff like this. So, can't wait! 

Again, totally awesome and can't wait! Devoted follower here. :-) 

I used some of the Kadis armor for my Red Sonja fan art, along with mix of other's. Still have a bunch of ideas for my fantasy medieval themes for the Kadis armor. 

@ksmith3620 - Glad you're enjoying things so much :)

Armor almost done, just tweaking and some minor fixes:

• MoreTNMoreTN Posts: 219

This looks incredibly good. So glad you made an alternative for the belt

Is this the set that has different helmets or will that be an addon later?

@MoreTN - Me too by now, it's grown on me.

@Romulus71 - At this point it will be an addon later. I've split all the parts I had into 4 different armors and after that I'll make a pack (if Daz accepts it) of all the remaining, unused pieces, which is about a half dozen of every armor piece (helmets, shoulders, boots, chest belts, bracelets and gauntlets). Waist pieces are the only thing I made 4 of (hence only 4 armors). I could make more waist pieces and make more complete armors, but there's too many other things I want to do too :)

Everything will be textured in a compatible fashion so people will be able to mix and match any piece and still have it look cohesive.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,074

Absolutely-freakin'-awesome.