Thigh bending and character weight?

KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,234

I'm sure this has probably been addressed several times elsewhere across several figures, but I can never really pin down a half decent solution. The problem is this - whenever you add even a relatively low amount of weight to a genesis (any) figure, the upper thigh becomes quite concave.

Now I understand this is essentially morphs battling against the main rig, but has anyone come across a good trade off? What's the best solution here, jcms, altered weight maps, specific morph targets based on character pose? I understand it's not a new problem, and if it could be fixed it would have been by now – but are there any brain boxes out there that have any tips/tricks?

And yes, i've tried pretty much every bend fix solution package out there, which work great on slimmer frames but don't really solve the issue for weightier characters. I'm not even trying to render Goliath sized figures, just maybe a size 12-14.

I've attached an Example below, it's not a huge problem at this stage but gets progressively worse from here on in...

Thigh.jpg
1488 x 837 - 143K
Post edited by KindredArts on

Comments

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581

I would think JCMs on the thigh bend for that morh and thigh position.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    What's the best solution here, jcms, altered weight maps, specific morph targets based on character pose?

Yes...

Some combination of all of those.

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,234

I would think JCMs on the thigh bend for that morh and thigh position.

mjc1016 said:
    What's the best solution here, jcms, altered weight maps, specific morph targets based on character pose?

Yes...

Some combination of all of those.

Ugh, i thought that might be the case. Ok, i'm going in deep guys - If i find a half decent jcm solution i'll upload it back here. Any more idea's would be useful, but i think this is probably the only non-destructive way forward..

It's not just heavier...go smaller/thinner, etc some corrections will be needed, too.  Maybe not the same, but often something. 

mjc1016 said:

It's not just heavier...go smaller/thinner, etc some corrections will be needed, too.  Maybe not the same, but often something. 

Sorry you might have condensed that comment a bit to much, do you mean work on thinner characters? If so thinner characters aren't really an issue for me - or have i misread?

When making thinner...especially thinner AND smaller (more petite/shorter) you run into similar problems with other areas, not necessarily the thighs.  Shifts the problem areas around.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,815

Have you tried Zev0's Bend Control to see if that addresses the issue?

mjc1016 said:

When making thinner...especially thinner AND smaller (more petite/shorter) you run into similar problems with other areas, not necessarily the thighs.  Shifts the problem areas around.

Right, i understand. I've already done the morphs but i'm a bit rusty with jcms and they are fighting against me right now. For some reason the jcm works fine in a positive direction, but in the negative direction it's depleting my weight morph.

vwrangler said:

Have you tried Zev0's Bend Control to see if that addresses the issue?

Oh yeah, that was my first port of call. It's done me a great service with more petite characters but not bigger characters. That probably wasn't within the scope of that pack though.

mjc1016 said:

Right, i understand. I've already done the morphs but i'm a bit rusty with jcms and they are fighting against me right now. For some reason the jcm works fine in a positive direction, but in the negative direction it's depleting my weight morph.

Probably need to make 2...one for positive and a separate one for the negative.  And then you'll need to limit each one, so that it only operates in the correct direction.

edited May 2016

I've got the morphs sorted, that little bump was produced by subdivision, i'll fix it later. I'm coming up short in jcm knowledge though, is there any decent guides on this? I can erc freeze the joint control but i can't figure out how to edit values. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

ThighFix.jpg
    2000 x 837 - 207K
    Post edited by KindredArts on

Scrap that, property hierarchy right? I think i dangling around the right area, chime in if i'm hopelessly misguided.

mjc1016 said:

Got it, i've cleared up all the random jcm madness. Now i have two jcms, one for 90 degree and one for 115 degree. The 90 degree morph launches from zero which is correct, I just need to figure out how to set the 115 degree morph to launch from where the 90 degree morph left off. At the moment they are both launching from zero which is not ideal.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,004

Of the options listed, note that weight-maps can't currently be controlled by a morph so while they may be a viable solution for tidying up a figure in a particular render they aren't a general or portable solution.

• JDK8012JDK8012 Posts: 41
    edited July 2018

I run into this a lot, as I like meaty Persian dancing girls in my renders. I have to account for distortions and try to simply limit my poses to the ones that work without huge clipping or concave distortions. I find this fascinating, but really am out of my depth of understanding in helping, so I'll check out on that note, and just continue to marvel over the knowledge you fine folk seem to have on the topic.blush

Post edited by JDK8012 on