How do I remove PostgressSQL Server?

I manually uninstalled it without issue, but now I get an error in Daz, "a valid postgresql cms connection could not be established".

The content management system doesn't work and I have no use for it, so... what do I do.  What is it with startign up 10 copies or so of the CMS when Daz starts.  They don't always go away when I exist Daz.

Anyways, I just want ti gone, it doesn't work.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I don't know of any way to avoid getting that error message, can you click okay and move on?

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

I can... But why?  Daz never used to pop up an error, and this isn't required.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Which version of Studio are you running?

edited May 2016

Double post...

Post edited by mjc1016 on

4.9, while not absolutely requiring CMS to be running is much more reliant upon it...

• joeyteeljoeyteel Posts: 65
    UHF said:

I manually uninstalled it without issue, but now I get an error in Daz, "a valid postgresql cms connection could not be established".

The content management system doesn't work and I have no use for it, so... what do I do.  What is it with startign up 10 copies or so of the CMS when Daz starts.  They don't always go away when I exist Daz.

Anyways, I just want ti gone, it doesn't work.

Define "doesn't work" as that could mean any number of things from the CMS not starting at all, to smart content being blank, and any number of things in between. :)

As for why it starts multiple copies, they're not copies, at least not in the sense you're thinking. It uses a master/slave process model. There's a single master process that coordinates the child (slave) processes that do the actual work, and each child spawns multiple threads to do the work.

There's no database.  It does not and cannot use CMS.   I manually install everything and rearrange directories as per Daz instruction.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

Well, with Postgres not installed, there won't be a database nor CMS support, that's true. You will get that error in the log and at startup, but it is just informative.

AFAIK, the CMS supports 3 sets of functionality in 4.9 - the so-called 'smart content' (which never seems as smart as I'd like), DAZ Connect (optional and no loss if you don't use it) and most if not all of the autofit functionality to support fitting earlier generation outfits on Genesis and above characters. So if you don't need any of that, there's no need for the database.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Also Categories, Tags, and Searching

I'm not here for a semantic arguement.  There is no data base.  I use the directory structures, and I move everything around. 

I'll consider CMS for Genesis 4 maybe... but I seriously doubt it.  Its just more work to use and mantain that is different and incompatible with everything else.

Does daz have a plan to fix this?  Its not like it does anything.

Fix what? The error message? The fix for that is to install Postgres.It won't use much disk space or CPU if you don't use it, and the memory requirement is trivial unless you're running 32-bit Studio on a system with 4 GB or less memory. There won't be anything in the database the way you're installing things, unless you go into database maintenance and import the metadata.

As for eliminating the CMS entirely - not going to happen. Based on what has happened from 4.0 to 4.9 they're going to add additional functionality into the database with upcoming releases.

I just want the error gone.

edited May 2016

Given that the Big Thing in 4.9 was Connect, and Connect cannot work without the database - from DAZ's standpoint the error makes perfect sense. They won't be removing it. So - the 'fix', like I said, is to install Postgres and ignore it.

Now if you're running Zone Alarm as an AV program this would cause other issues, although I understand from another thread that there is a fix from the ZA people. AFAIK, that's the only other real issue on Postgres.

Post edited by namffuak on

Cest la vie.  I won't be using connect either, so case closed.