I screwed up my DS 4. HOW CAN I START ALL OVER AGAIN?

2»

Comments

• chriswongbizchriswongbiz Posts: 206
    edited December 1969

Hi,

After several days of struggle, I think I need to end this and turn the page. Content Library never shows up and the more I tried to fix this the more problems I created, and now not jsut I cannot find Gen 4 people and thumbnails are gone and even the thing I made and put on desktop went to hell like the one I attached here, 'cos I gues my DS is as confused as I am right now.

I want to uninstall my DS 4 Pro from my Imac 10.6.7 once and for all, and install another DS 4 or DS 4.5. The worst scenario is to spend more time re-install the hundreds of stuffs I purchased. But that would be better then guessing where I did wrong and mis-locating certain things in my Documents.

So, please.... please show me a step by step guide how to clear it from my computer and so I can move on.

I shall be grateful...

Screen_shot_2012-09-26_at_5.37_.13_PM_.png
    427 x 591 - 150K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You have two major problems with your library folder. (1) You have a "Content" folder inside the "Library" folder, every sub-folder inside the "Content" folder needs to be moved to inside the "Library" folder. (2) As has already been pointed out you have a "data" folder inside another "data" folder, they need to consolidated in to one "data" folder.

You are going to need the help of a Mac guru as moving and merging folders on a Mac is not as simple as on a PC.

edited December 1969

Please guide me to uninstall DS4 pro and re-install DS 4 or 4.5 , I don't mind reinstalling every piece of content, as long as it works this time....
    help please, very desperate.

edited December 1969

I learnt too late, that when they gave the example of the path to install, the last word 'content'actaully does not count as a "WORD".
    so now whatever I installed manually was actually wrong.

Also when the vendor's file has same name I didn't know what to do so I installed further up the file name so more than one "data" or other word is included by mistake. I know these are the main issue,s now but as I tried to correct the further away i drifted away from the shore... too late now. So now my only hope could to to uninstall and reinstall all over again. Isn't it true that to uninstall I only have to dump the DAZ 3D file to the trash can? or does it only trash the content inside it only, I still need to do something to uninstall the DS studio 4 pro itself?

Should I go for DS 4.5 this time?Last time the major cause of death is the missing of Content Management and the product and category list and the Smart Content. I spent 80 % of the time trying to make DS 4 better rather than to create anything. Would DS 4.5 work with the daz files I already done with DS 4 pro and saved on my desk top? ( provided that i installed everything back in order.)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Chris, as you are on a Mac, we will try to get someone to help that knows that OS.

What uninstallers do you have on your system? If you install DS4 or DS4.5, it should uninstall the previous version for you, and if using DS4.5, there is a seperate installer for the content.

Totte was helping you last night, did that not get your problem resolved?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,524
    edited December 1969

I learnt too late, that when they gave the example of the path to install, the last word 'content'actaully does not count as a "WORD".
    so now whatever I installed manually was actually wrong.

Also when the vendor's file has same name I didn't know what to do so I installed further up the file name so more than one "data" or other word is included by mistake. I know these are the main issue,s now but as I tried to correct the further away i drifted away from the shore... too late now. So now my only hope could to to uninstall and reinstall all over again. Isn't it true that to uninstall I only have to dump the DAZ 3D file to the trash can? or does it only trash the content inside it only, I still need to do something to uninstall the DS studio 4 pro itself?

Should I go for DS 4.5 this time?Last time the major cause of death is the missing of Content Management and the product and category list and the Smart Content. I spent 80 % of the time trying to make DS 4 better rather than to create anything. Would DS 4.5 work with the daz files I already done with DS 4 pro and saved on my desk top? ( provided that i installed everything back in order.)

I think I reinstalled at least 3 times when I started before I had full control of where things should go.
    The main problem is that the suggested default path in 90% of the installers are just wrong.
    My suggestion to the fastest way is to reinstall what you have into a brand new runtime on your disk, get things sorted as moving things around can be quite a challenge if you're not familiar with ditto in the terminal and familiar with now the content file structure should work.

I got some tools on my site to help Mac Users install things better and faster.

http://4eyes.code66.se/?page_id=7463

QuikPazte - store the paths you are using there and hot-key paste them into the older installers, bitrock ones, with yellow icons.
    DAZBitRockRun - Use it for the new installers (those with a bluish icon), very simple and works well.
    RendoInstall - Use it on ZipFiles (IMxxxx from DAZ or Zips from Rendo or other sources)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am merging your post with your other thread, where you were getting help form a member. This allows peope to see how far the process has got and saves the people helping you having to g through things again.