My First Prop

2»

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited June 2016

after making your poly line try Model--Fill Polygon then use Construct--Organic

see if that makes a difference :-)

rock formation.jpg
    800 x 600 - 468K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited June 2016

Thanks Stezza, worked... figured it was something simple that I'd not tried yet. All the times I've made poly outlines... never though of filling one.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited June 2016

1) Draw a shape, like a rough cross section of the arch. Since it is going to start from the "ground", I would choose the top view and draw.

2) From the Model menu, choose Fill Polygon. The shape you drew, which is a cross section of the arch, should now be filled.

3) Choose a side view, like left for instance, and use the poly line tool to draw a single line in the shape of the arch. You aren't making a filled shape. It should be only a single line.

4)You want to select the filled polygon you made in steps 1 and 2, and then select the icon that looks like a bent pipe, which is the Path Sweep tool. Then, select the poly line you made in step 4. The polygon shape should be extruded along the poly line.

5) (Optional) I usually adjust the scale and or shape of the cross sections before I increase the model's resolution by subdividing.

It's a great way of making vines. Just make a cross section shape, draw a poly line in the shape of the vine trunk, and use the path sweep tool. Next, select multiple random polygons along the length of the vine, and create a shading domain for them. Then use a surface replicator set to replicate in that shading domain, add a wispy little plant and instant vine!

Picture 1.png
    911 x 847 - 31K
    Picture 2.png
    687 x 695 - 90K
    Picture 3.png
    989 x 953 - 85K
    Picture 5.png
    637 x 580 - 42K
    Picture 4.png
    82 x 71 - 5K
    Picture 6.png
    594 x 580 - 86K
    Vine detail.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    Stezza's way is great as well. There's more than one way to skin a cat in Carrara!
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Thanks for the path sweep "cat skinning". :)  I tend to create too many points than I need and hadn't tried it for an inperfect arch. Less points=less adjustments. 5) (Optional) is the last thing I do.