Can't I just tell ONE part not to be dynamic?

Just curious. Finally bought the Dyanamic Cloth plugin tonight after months of stalking it. It being on sale helped.

I'm trying to drape this cloth I have. M'kay. I already know how to do all that. But there's this one part that insists on getting very big and falling no atter what I do.

Thing is I don't want it to do anything. It's a waist band. I want it where it's at.

I've tried shrink, friction, no bend, the works.

Can't you just tell one part of your object not to drape? If not, well, it would be a REAL USEFUL feature!!

Gollums of frustration!

Comments

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    edited April 2016

Check this out. It has alot of useful info.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/71506/dynamic-clothing-tips/p1

Edit: inserted correct link.

Post edited by AnotherUserName on
  • Yep, been there done that. That's how I know about shrink and the other things that aren't helping. =^-^=

• The waistband that your having trouble with, did you try pinning it in place with some primitives?

• I'm toying with that now, yes. It's pretty gloopy at this point. LOL.

• Can you post an example render so we can see whats happening? Or did it work itself out?

• I gave up and deleted the project. I had things sticking out of aiko so much she looked like she was in a lot of pain. That obi just wasn't going to stay put no matter what I did. I think with this dress my onlyviable option is to find a static obi I can fit over the dress and make the dynamic obi invisible and unwanted.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,600

This is another reason we need a more robust dynamic option in DS. I have plenty of poser dynamics that have different parts that move a little, move alot and don't move at all....in poser.

• Yes, I know. I think I'd add that to the next DAZ wish list. I look at my dynamic options in poser and shake my head. I rarely open my poser and get lost quickly in there, though.

Another thing I'd also add to the wish list is a dynamic clothes converter. That script that's going around is wonderful for some people. And it strikes me that it woudl be pretty lucrative to both DAZ and Optitrex if they simply incorporated a small plugin for $10 or even $20. (Or free. Free would be nice.) 

I like what optitrex stuff is out there, but 1% of it MIGHT fit my needs. 

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

For what it's worth I've found that cranking up the thickess, friction, and bend resistance to really high numbers has allowed me to have a belt stay in place without deforming (much).  You might try that if you decide to give this another shot.

• I cranked those things up to the maximum and got nothing. Most frustrating and futile feeling. -_-

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

I did an experiment to see what's what. I made the dress used in the renders below.  In the first pic, it's a conforming dress.  I then converted to dynamic using the top secret conversion utility. It only has two material zones, the dress and the belt. I left everything set as defaults and draped it (Second Picture).  The belt is massively deformed and sunken into the dress, barely visible.  Then I took the belt and cranked up bend resistance, friction, and thickess. But I also increased damping to 18.35 because ... I don't know, not sure what it does but what the heck. But more importantly I set the weight of the belt to zero. So it won't want to fall at all.

When I draped it in this case, it stayed in place but the dress passed through it; it no longer served a purpose as a belt.  So I had to fix one more thing, under Preferences I checked "self intersection".  Then re-draped it. And Pic 3 is what I got.

I'm sure all of this is very geometry dependant and this may work on some items, not others. You might experiment with some of the settings and play around, see what happens. 

TestingDynBelt1-Conformed.jpg
    500 x 500 - 140K
    TestingDynBelt1-DynamicDefaults.jpg
    1229 x 1229 - 727K
    TestingDynBelt1-DynamicNewSettings.jpg
    1229 x 1229 - 688K
  • ... Dang it I sure wish I'd get notifications of responses...!!!

Self intersection? I've not seen anything like that. There must be something in the settings I'm missing and needs must go through this with a fine tooth comb.

Sometimes my converted drapes just kind of wrinkle up and won't drape. It definitely depends on the prop.