Marcoor FG space ship - not complete

lenwilderlenwilder Posts: 188
edited April 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

Marcoor FG - http://www.daz3d.com/marcoor-fg-c4

I bought this Sci-Fi content and to my dismay there are no thrusters/engines to allow vertical takeoffs or landings.

There is a landing gear component included, which indicated to me external landing views would be possible with the item.  

THere are wings included, which indicates to me planet or earth type landings are possible.

If it were just a deep space ship there would be no need for wings

I don't understand WHY an external content that has all the resources for external views doesn't facilitate those types of views.

Maybe Daz could look into this.  I own all the Marcoor interiors as well, and this is disappointing.

This is a PC+ item, but price was not my motivation.

I would have bought as Daz3d content, or 3rd party because I needed a larger lander type spaceship for my project.

I have many other space ships, this item appeared to me to be just what I needed, "a large high quality lander space ship".

Post edited by lenwilder on

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,905

The ship really doesn't look aerodynamic to me. Those wings would be utterly inadequate for anything but a space shuttle-like braking landing (and you'll note the space shuttle doesn't have vertical thrusters).

• Maybe the "thruster" is just an exhaust outlet and the actual lift/propulsion is an internal anti-grav unit? Or maybe it lands like any other non VTOL craft in atmosphere and relies on a catcher in space? If it really bothers you and you must have down-thrusters use the Geometry Editor tool in DS or Grouping toool in Poser to split the back outlet off, load a coule of copies, scale them down and parent them to the belly of the craft.

• lenwilderlenwilder Posts: 188

I realize I can take them into a modeler and fix.  I found several at 3dwarehouse that I could use.  I thought since the interiors were available I could have some continuity in views.

The ship really doesn't look aerodynamic to me. Those wings would be utterly inadequate for anything but a space shuttle-like braking landing (and you'll note the space shuttle doesn't have vertical thrusters).

I agree, but that is the case wtih just about everything for Space or Sci-Fi.  The Millenium Falcon is a perfect example of ridiculous.  

edited April 2016

Maybe the "thruster" is just an exhaust outlet and the actual lift/propulsion is an internal anti-grav unit? Or maybe it lands like any other non VTOL craft in atmosphere and relies on a catcher in space? If it really bothers you and you must have down-thrusters use the Geometry Editor tool in DS or Grouping toool in Poser to split the back outlet off, load a coule of copies, scale them down and parent them to the belly of the craft.

That is the reason I buy content items - so that I can fix them. (sarcasm)

• lenwilder said:

Maybe the "thruster" is just an exhaust outlet and the actual lift/propulsion is an internal anti-grav unit? Or maybe it lands like any other non VTOL craft in atmosphere and relies on a catcher in space? If it really bothers you and you must have down-thrusters use the Geometry Editor tool in DS or Grouping toool in Poser to split the back outlet off, load a coule of copies, scale them down and parent them to the belly of the craft.

But it isn't a fix, it's a change in the design. Kit-bashing and tweaking are standard practice.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,077

Possible not wings at all - more likely fins to help dump excess heat buildup in the life system.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

It may not be what you want or need, but that's not the same as broken.

Here's a pict of a space transport designed by the West German Junkers company in the 1960s from "Frontiers of Space", published back in 1969. The craft shown is designed to land using a ski-type undercarriage, long before we developed efficient anti-gravity, and without the need for huge thrusters. The book isn't science fiction, it's full of designs from the era, many of which are still fairly current today (search the 'net for images of "Project Deimos", you'll find info and picts from this book).

-- Walt Sterdan

junker.jpg
    563 x 478 - 56K
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited April 2016

Double post, sorry; every time I hit "SAVE COMMENT" nothing happened. sad

junker.png
    576 x 478 - 519K
    Post edited by wsterdan on
    lenwilder said:

But it isn't a fix, it's a change in the design. Kit-bashing and tweaking are standard practice.

Yeah, I got it ...buyer beware or plan to kit bash or other edit procedures.

I've bought all the interiors for it as well... so I guess I'll have to make the necessary changes.

I't like buying a Pepperonit Pizza, opening the box and there is no Pepperoni on the Pizza. .

I add the Pepperoni myself...after tweaking the pizza it will be Pepperoni pizza just what I was expecting.  LOL 

You mention the Millennium Falcon. Which lacks any obvious vertical thrusters...

edited April 2016

You mention the Millennium Falcon. Which lacks any obvious vertical thrusters...

The millenium falcon is a complete... whatever you want to call it.  Nothing makes sense about it

Are you defending Daz3d?  

Why would you do that, afterall Daz3d gives no brownie points

I know... I should be grareful Daz3d is willing to sell me anything regardless of it's suitability to promoted value or use.

No, I'm just a bit baffled at your complaints.

You want a realistic ship, but realistically you wouldn't have many ships capable of planetary landings. The Marcoor is very realistic, as a space-only ship (barring antigrav whatnot).

Also, saying it's incomplete or broken is, well, kind of weird. Because it clearly isn't.

Here's a good landing-oriented ship: http://www.daz3d.com/dystopian-heavy-lander-lvx9-basilisk

(I don't own it, but it's on my wishlist)

I have seen this one on sale for around $10.

The interior is not near as nice as the Marcoor interiors, but externally it is superior.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/colonylander/102286/

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Where is the rule stating that the insides must match the outside?

Seriously...if you don't like it, file a CS ticket and get a refund.   And use a different exterior ship...it's not like you are really going tb see both parts at the same time.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Speaking of the Marcoor ship, can anyone get the landing gear to work? I've tried, and all that happens is the entire leg assembly rotates down. It doesn't unfold, which leaves the landing feet sort of hanging at a sharp angle to the ground.

Looking closer, something's definitely broken in the parameter settings, the feet end up sticking through each other. The slight wobble as I move the "Gear_up_down" parameter suggests something's locked that shouldn't be.

Wait, I got it. Open all the landing gear body parts, select them all, look for the zrot and Side Adjustment parameters, and do a reset (Alt-Click on a PC) on them. That seems to free up the glitched settings, and the legs articulate properly.

Shouldn't be doing that, though.

edited April 2016
    mjc1016 said:

Seriously...if you don't like it, file a CS ticket and get a refund.   And use a different exterior ship...it's not like you are really going tb see both parts at the same time.

Yes, I will modify the Marcoor and use the Marcoor interiors.  This is a high quality content.  I would have preferred a bit more attention to details, so I don't have to do them.

Maybe there is a feedback to artist subforum or something...which I'm not aware. That would be good.  I guess I screwed up posting in the forums about my issues.

mjc1016 said:

I rarely ask for refunds.  I don't do trials either.  It is a huge waste of time applying for refunds.  I prefer to read carefully and live with my decisions.

I'm not sure what constitutes a waste of time to you, but it takes 1-2 minutes to write up a request and they usually refund the money withing 1-3 days. If you ask for store credit, it's then available once they get to it.

It's very easy and I've had a bunch of stuff refunded without a problem.

• Speaking of the Marcoor ship, can anyone get the landing gear to work? I've tried, and all that happens is the entire leg assembly rotates down. It doesn't unfold, which leaves the landing feet sort of hanging at a sharp angle to the ground.

Looking closer, something's definitely broken in the parameter settings, the feet end up sticking through each other. The slight wobble as I move the "Gear_up_down" parameter suggests something's locked that shouldn't be.

Wait, I got it. Open all the landing gear body parts, select them all, look for the zrot and Side Adjustment parameters, and do a reset (Alt-Click on a PC) on them. That seems to free up the glitched settings, and the legs articulate properly.

Shouldn't be doing that, though.

That does sound like something that should be reported as a potential bug.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,890
    edited May 2016

Thanks to SpottedKitty for pointing out a solution for the landing gear which was driving me nuts until I found this thread. After a bit more experientation, now I know it can be fixed, there is actually a quicker fix. Just highlight 'Landing Gear' in the paramaters tab and then open the paramaters tab menu and use 'Restore Figure'. This sorts out the 'Gear_up_down' slider to function properly. Although it will of course move the Landing Gear back to it's initial load position if you have moved it to the front so just apply the restore before moving.

Just putting this here in case anyone else does a forum search looking to solve the issue.

Support ticket sent.

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

If it flies out of an atmosphere, then it doesn't matter the shape. It it flies in very dense atmosphere, perhaps stubby wings would be better. And depending on how the engines/thrusters works - wings might just be for show, or serve some other purpose. :)

• 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355
    Millennium falcon - ridiculous but soooooo cool. I like that anti gravity thing. It solves a lot of problems.
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    lenwilder said:
    mjc1016 said:

Yes, I will modify the Marcoor and use the Marcoor interiors.  This is a high quality content.  I would have preferred a bit more attention to details, so I don't have to do them.

Maybe there is a feedback to artist subforum or something...which I'm not aware. That would be good.  I guess I screwed up posting in the forums about my issues.

mjc1016 said:

I rarely ask for refunds.  I don't do trials either.  It is a huge waste of time applying for refunds.  I prefer to read carefully and live with my decisions.

The ticket system is the way to contact the PAs as there is no guarantee that they will frequent the forums.  You can ask that your feedback be sent on to the artist.

edited July 2016
    lenwilder said:

I have seen this one on sale for around $10.

The interior is not near as nice as the Marcoor interiors, but externally it is superior.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/colonylander/102286/

I have to be fair. I bought this content from Renderosity. Took half a day to get it to load properly.  I won't go into all the problems, but I will say because Renderosity says it works with Daz doesn't mean a seamless install.   Also, the visual quality is not very good.  I kept it, because I can use it in mid to long range scenes and it looks terrific that way.

The one thing this purchase did for me... I reluctantly shop Renderosity.  I will use their jpg packs, but as far as Daz3d 3 or 4 I am shy.