Looking for Midwest landscape- prairies, meadows, farmland

2»

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,907

Instances are linked to the original copy. If you change attributes of the original copy, the instances change as well (shaders, etc).

Also, it consumes less system resources than actually having duplicates.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787

Oh, OK. I used duplicate for these flowers but instances may have been better from what I'm reading here. Right?

• Duplicates are just a shortcut to loading a new item of the same type, an Instance is a live clone. Yes, for something like that instances would probably be better (maybe load a few slightly different flowers and then use instances to multiply each, for a bit of variety).

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited April 2016

Instances are tied to the original in several ways...especially surface settings.  Duplicate is just that...another copy.  Instances use the same geometry and textures, with location and transform data being unique to each one.  This means 100 of them use little more memory than 1.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48524/understanding-daz-studio-instancing

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787

Good to know for future scenes like this. Thanks for explaining the difference, guys. :D

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

@melissa  That is pretty! the translucency on the corn is gorgeous!

• Sorry, I was away from my PC. Glad it got explained. smiley

How does one 'instance'? 

Thanks! laugh  I used MEC4Ds PBS PVC Plastic shader (from Vol. 1), but there's a leaf shader in her recently released Vol. 2, so I'll probably re-render at some point.

j cade said:

@melissa  That is pretty! the translucency on the corn is gorgeous!