Knittingmommy's Laboratory

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Really like the CB Giulia :)   I also linked your post in the first page of my thread, in References, for how to do Face Control for cartoon characters. I credited you :)  (It's in tutorials, under Face Control)  Thanks for writing that up. Doing tutorials in depth take quite a bit of time. Thanks for sharing. heart

• Novica said:

Really like the CB Giulia :)   I also linked your post in the first page of my thread, in References, for how to do Face Control for cartoon characters. I credited you :)  (It's in tutorials, under Face Control)  Thanks for writing that up. Doing tutorials in depth take quite a bit of time. Thanks for sharing. heart

Thanks, @Novica! Very cool about the tutorial as well. I hope people find it useful.

They will. BTW, if you ever do a tutorial and I don't comment on it, I probably didn't see it as it varies how much I'm online. Just drop me a PM and I'll put it in my References. You do good ones. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,792

This is probably one of the best smiles I've ever crafted so far in Daz Studio. I'm really liking the Face Controls. They make it really easy to get a nice expression that doesn't look comical or fake on a, well fake, model. Lol. I havee found one drawback. The Face Controls don't work well on a heavily stylized character without a lot of manual setup. But once you have it in the right place, it works pretty well. I'll show some examples with screenshots of that soon.

In the meantime, I give you CB Giulia HD for Genesis 8 Female by CynderBlue with a very nice smile thanks to some manipulation via the Face Controls. No postwork on this image. It's straight from DS.

CB Giulia

Just looking at the image I could have sworn it's Lilith 7 with a different skin!

Anyway, she's beautiful!

• Hylas said:

This is probably one of the best smiles I've ever crafted so far in Daz Studio. I'm really liking the Face Controls. They make it really easy to get a nice expression that doesn't look comical or fake on a, well fake, model. Lol. I havee found one drawback. The Face Controls don't work well on a heavily stylized character without a lot of manual setup. But once you have it in the right place, it works pretty well. I'll show some examples with screenshots of that soon.

In the meantime, I give you CB Giulia HD for Genesis 8 Female by CynderBlue with a very nice smile thanks to some manipulation via the Face Controls. No postwork on this image. It's straight from DS.

CB Giulia

Just looking at the image I could have sworn it's Lilith 7 with a different skin!

Anyway, she's beautiful!

Thanks. I really love how she turned out. I have a few CynderBlue characters, but I think this is the first one I've actually rendered. I love how the skin turned out even without needing to do any postwork on the image. I'm definitely going to be taking a look at my other CB characters to see how they render.

• I picked up Spring Dynamics during the recent sale. It's interesting. I've also been playing around with Filament a little now that I've got my computer set up to access it. Of course, that meant I had to try the two together to see how they worked. I'm amazed at how fast Filament rendered out a small section of animation. It's very quick. So here's a short animation using Springy. I applied Spring Dynamics to the antenae and manually animated the expressions and the spring itself.

• And another test animation using Spring Dynamics applied to a single node on the hat. The settings are too high and the hat is going crazy so I'll have to remember that for the next test. I rendered with Filament and a green plane as a green screen. I tried upping my film editing skills by adding a background and adding snow in HitFilm.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

The hat kinda makes me think of the snake in BeetleJuice .....

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Cool animation test.  Is this a sign that you will be doing more animations?

• Diomede said:

Cool animation test.  Is this a sign that you will be doing more animations?

Maybe. I definitely need to work on my skills. It's pitiful how long it takes me to figure out how to do all things animation. Then there's the post production stuff inside HitFilm. Yikes! I have to say I do love how fast an animation renders with Filament. It's a shame it totally trashes hair. I guess that means mostly toon animations for me. I think the more solid toon hairs will render fine in Filament. I haven't tried them yet. Right now, I'm just playing around and having fun learning some new skills.

I might go that series of animations newbies go through to learn how to animate though. You know all those bouncing the ball and creating your own walk cycle type stuff. I had a list somewhere of things a new person should try animating while learning. I need to dig that up.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited November 2020

I was playing around with j.cade's Bette character. I wanted to try out Lady Littlefox's dForce Dalia Hair as well. That's a tough hair to fit onto a stylized character but so worth the effort! Lights used were Click N Render IBL Set. The dress is dForce Shirred Dress.

Bette

Bette_01.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Great stuff - I really like the lighting in this one.

RE: animation and film.  I recommend anyone interested check out Dartanbeck's thread.  He renders in Carrara, but most of the thread is about other programs, editing, special effects, etc.  Lots of good tips.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/410436/dartanbeck-s-journey-cg-filmmaking/p1

• Diomede said:

Great stuff - I really like the lighting in this one.

RE: animation and film.  I recommend anyone interested check out Dartanbeck's thread.  He renders in Carrara, but most of the thread is about other programs, editing, special effects, etc.  Lots of good tips.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/410436/dartanbeck-s-journey-cg-filmmaking/p1

Thanks. I'll take a look through it.

As for the lighting, I was pretty happy with it. It surprised me a little because I wasn't expecting it to be quite that interesting, but I love what it did with the hair. It showcased her skin nicely as well.

edited November 2020

I'm rendering some stuff I haven't rendered yet to see how they look. I'm also playing around with a new program for doing postwork. Not too bad for a one click postworking process.

Female Cyborge - System 46 for Genesis 3 Female by Daveyabbo

Snow Leopard - Felidae by AM by Alessandro_AM

Cyborg_Female_01.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 800K
    SnowLeopard_02.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 487K

Love Bette. Yeah, I use the Click N Render lights all the time for a varied color scheme. I haven't gotten the look you did though- that hair is spectacular! Nicely done. Love the snow leopard too. ) 

edited November 2020
    Novica said:

Love Bette. Yeah, I use the Click N Render lights all the time for a varied color scheme. I haven't gotten the look you did though- that hair is spectacular! Nicely done. Love the snow leopard too. ) 

I'll have to take a look at the scene file and let you know which one preset it was and the dome setting. I recall needing to move the dome rotation a little. That hair was still a surprise when I rendered though. I was very happy with how that turned out.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Great tutorial, thank you. 

• Great tutorial, thank you. 

You're welcome. It was a little frustrating until I figured out what was happening so I figured others were having the same issues. I hope it helped.

edited November 2020

Test rendering some more stuff. Figure is Kitty for Kanade 8. Lighting is again Click N Render IBL. The hair is Kinley Hair with dForce for Genesis 3 and 8 Female. The outfit is the dForce Mori Kei Outfit for Genesis 8 Female using the textures from the dForce Mori Kei Outfit Textures by Anna Benjamin. The only postwork so far on this is some mild color correction.

Kitty

Small note on the skirt. I ended up adding a dForce modifier and running it through a simulation. I really didn't like how the dress posed straight out of the box. The skirt folded in on itself and poked through in odd places in this pose which isn't that severe. I can only imagine what it would have done with a pose with more severe angles. It actually takes to dForce fairly well. I was happy with the final resuts.

Kitty_01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 185K
    edited November 2020

For a change of pace, I was playing with an Aiko 3 character in 3Delight today. This is XinXin. I used some filters in Filter Forge in postwork to get a somewhat decent cartoon effect.

XinXin

XinXin_3DelightRender_01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 195K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Using Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls on Stylized Characters with Bigger Heads

So here's what I've learned while using the Genesis 3 & 8 Face Control from @Faux2D and Daz3d on stylized characters. There are a few extra steps a person needs to take to get the Face Control in the right place. As you can see from the first screenshot, the controls load where it thinks the figure's head should be. With a stylized figure, this isn't always the case. You would treat it the same as if you were loading the Face Control on a figure you've already posed.

Load the Face Control with the figure selected.

Right-click on the Face Control and Change Parent to your figure's head with Parent in Place selected.

With the Face Control still selected, go to Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Figure Pose

As you can see, the Face Control is in the right position, but we have a problem. It's buried inside the head.

To fix this, you need to pull the Face Control out of the head on the Z Translate until you can see the control in front of the head.

After that, you can control the facial movements as you would with any other characters.

Here's a quick render showing the expression. It's my first render with Filament which I just started playing around with this evening.

This is very helpful thank you!  Ugh, I have so much catching up to do!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I was playing around with j.cade's Bette character. I wanted to try out Lady Littlefox's dForce Dalia Hair as well. That's a tough hair to fit onto a stylized character but so worth the effort! Lights used were Click N Render IBL Set. The dress is dForce Shirred Dress.

Bette

This is stunning

• @IceDragonArt I'm glad you found the tutorial useful. It felt kind of good to be able to share what I've learned again. It's been a long time since I've sat down to do a tutorial. I've heard from a few people already that they've found it helpful. Makes me happy! :)

As for Bette, thanks. I was super happy with how that turned out.

edited December 2020

A quick render with Topsy 8. I think she's kind of cute. Not much in the way of postwork other than some color correction. I just wanted to see how she renders. I was surprised at how fast she renders. I think this was one of the quickest renders of a figure I've had in a while.

ETA: Apparently the forums are messing up again. I can't add the image to the body of the post. I'll fix that later when the forums get fixed, I guess. ETA again: cheated a little and used html code, but I think I've got the picture in the post if this works.
    Topsy_01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 283K
    edited December 2020

And a quick little render of Bebe High for Genesis 8 Female. She super cute. I couldn't resist buying her.

Bebe_02.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 186K
  • Knittingmommy  I love her!!  Nice render!!  I bought her, too!!!

• I did a little test render of Santa in filament with the free animation of the Laughing Santa we got from ThreeDigital. Once problem I had was there is a script you have to run you do the animation. This script doesn't seem to work if you install through Connect. I had to uninstall it and reinstall with DIM to get it to work.

It's not a great piece of filmmaking, but I'm learning new skills in HitFilm so that's always a plus. I managed to figure out how to get the text to move across that screen. Yay! Merry Christmas, everyone!

• Ignore this. I just needed to upload an image that was having issues being seen in the voting thread.

A-Quiet-Moment.jpg
    1500 x 2160 - 1M
    edited January 2021

Anyone who has read through my thread knows I love stylized characters. I could not resist getting Bugga Boo by Lady Littlefox when it hit the store. Wow! She's awesome. Here's my first of what I'm pretty sure will be lots more renders of this adorable little girl.

BuggaBoo_01.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 1M
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734

Wow thanks for sharing