Knittingmommy's Laboratory

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Well, that looks quite useful!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I will point out that this does not, however, work if you are using canvasses; you can change settings on the fly, but it resets the render.

Oh, good to know, Will!  Thanks!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited August 2016

If you have the memory and a processor with four or more cores you can run a second instance of studio at the same time. Set them both in Task Manager, in Windows, to Priority/Below Normal. I have had Studio 4.9 Beta running an animation frame series for the past six days in the background while using 4.8 to do the renders I have been posting. This on a laptop; i5 Processor; 16 GB of memory; CPU only. You can see it in action in this screen grab :)

Click on image for full size.

two-studios-001.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 143K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited August 2016

@Fishtales  Welcome to the thread!  Thanks for stopping in.  I still have the beta 4.8 installed on this computer and I've opened it up while 4.9 was rendering, but I have never tried rendering both at the same time.  I just recently found out how to set affinity so that DS doesn't use all of my CPU processing from L'Adair.  As for what I've got under the hood, theoretically, I should have enough power.  I have an AMD FX-8350 with 8 cores and 32 GB of memory.  I may have to do some experimenting and see how my computer handles it.

edit: fixed link

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
    edited September 2022

My render finally finished and is uploaded to my gallery.  I like how she turned out.  I wanted to try out the update for DestinysGarden's DG Toon Hair Shaders which now has Iray presets.  Since I decided to hold off getting Star for Genesis 3, I'm going to have to revisit some of the Genesis 2 toon stuff I have.  I got a lot of it when 3Delight was still the main rendering engine and I wasn't very good at using a lot of 3Delight stuff.  My skills with 3Delight are getting better now and I know more about converting 3Delight shaders for Iray.  It is always good when you have an excuse to use older content.  She probably won't rock that gallery as Toons never really do well there, but I like how she turned out.  I love mixing toons with real stuff and she looks great with Blooming Alley by Andrey Pestryakov.  I love his stuff.  As for the girl, that's my fav girl LY Trini.  I think she's adorable and I've used her before.  She's probably one of my favorite @Lyoness figures of which I have way too many considering I don't do too many girl renders.  I tend not to link many straight renders here that I'm not using for a tutorial or something, but since @TabascoJack commented on her based on the screenshot, I thought I'd show her off.

Edit: fixed broken link

• Beautiful.   I love the lighting, and the way it highlights her arms.

Thanks, @TabascoJack!  I really like how it turned out, too.  Most of that is just from the sunset HDRI, but some of that is tone mapping.  I really like playing with tone mapping since I learned how much of a difference it can make in the look of an image.  I love the Tonal Rage - Tone Mapping Kit.  I've learned a lot from it.  Other than playing with the Gamma and Saturation, I haven't really learned how to do anything similar in 3Delight yet.  If I did, I might play with 3Delight more than I do.  While I'm getting better at using 3Delight, I still get much better results when I'm playing around with Iray.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576
    edited September 2016

Don't believe Studio's implementation of 3DL will render 32-bit, AFAIK.

BTW, your renders are consistently coming out excellent ;)

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
  • Don't believe Studio's implementation of 3DL will render 32-bit, AFAIK.

BTW, your renders are consistently coming out excellent ;)

- Greg

@algovincian  Yeah, I have no idea about 3DL and 32-bit.  And, thanks, I like to think I'm getting better.  Sometimes, I still feel like such a newbie.  However, I can definitely see a progressive improvement in my work now compared to when I started.  I do know that what I see in my head can be seen more in my renders now than when I started and, hopefully, that will be even more so as my skills continue to improve.

• Love the way the dress flairs out as well she looks great! 

I have really got to go dig out the directions Novica gave me to re install my 4.8 on this pc.  I have a back up.  Ugh just need to find the time.  I had no idea you could render in both at the same time.

• Thanks, Sonja.  I enjoyed putting that one together.  I managed to get a really cool effect with the lighting and tone mapping.  I kind of like mixing toons or toon type characters with real backgrounds, too.  While I like the whole toon look, I think it looks so much fresher with a mix of styles.  Still, I'm just learning how much I like NPR and how I can incorporate an NPR style in some of the things I do.  I'm not sure if a style that mixes a toon type figure with real backgrounds is still NPR or not.  Maybe Greg can pipe in on that one.  I just know that I like the look I'm getting on some of the NPR type things I've been doing.   I still like doing realistic stuff, too, though, so I will continue exploring what I can do with Iray and even 3DL, at times, to see what I can create.

• I dunno, but also don't think it matters what it is, or what anybody may call it - as long as you dig the results!

- Greg

• I dunno, but also don't think it matters what it is, or what anybody may call it - as long as you dig the results!

- Greg

Exactly!  And I like the mix of styles.  Toons aren't my thing but I enjoy watching other people work with them lol. I have a couple of girls as we all three Aiko figures, I might eventually do one for the fun of it.

- Greg

LOL, well I certainly like the results I'm getting whatever it's called.  I have you to thank for opening my eyes to the possibilities, though, as I probably never would have started exploring it if I hadn't found your threads or your art.  Even though what I've been doing is completely different than what you do, what you do has influenced me greatly.  So, thank you for that! :)

• Sonja, I think one reason why I still like toons is that I still have at least one kid who still loves animations so Disney and the like are constants here.  Cartoons are still big in our house, too, especially the older cartoons.  One of these days, I might get to grow up when the kids are out of the house, but I'm not in any hurry.  :)

• Sonja, I think one reason why I still like toons is that I still have at least one kid who still loves animations so Disney and the like are constants here.  Cartoons are still big in our house, too, especially the older cartoons.  One of these days, I might get to grow up when the kids are out of the house, but I'm not in any hurry.  :)

Grow up? In case you haven't noticed, we spend our time playing with dolls. Not even real dolls, but virtual dolls. lol

BTW, I still watch animation. Got this going in the background as I work tonight:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3454574/

Check it out if you like Poe. It's got a bunch of interesting styles in it.

- Greg

- Greg

Exactly!  And I like the mix of styles.  Toons aren't my thing but I enjoy watching other people work with them lol. I have a couple of girls as we all three Aiko figures, I might eventually do one for the fun of it.

I know what you mean. I have no real need for Star, but seeing what everbody is doing with her, I know it's only a matter of time before I buy her. Dialing in just a bit of her genes seems like it's perfect for cute chics and kids.

- Greg

Grow up? In case you haven't noticed, we spend our time playing with dolls. Not even real dolls, but virtual dolls. lol

BTW, I still watch animation. Got this going in the background as I work tonight:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3454574/

Check it out if you like Poe. It's got a bunch of interesting styles in it.

- Greg

Oh, I love Poe!  One of my favorite authors.  No one does creepy quite like him.  One of my favorite is The Fall of the House of Usher!  A close second is probably the Tell Tale Heart.

• On a related note, The Alan Parsons Project had a whole album dedicated to Poe's stories back in 1976.   "Tales of Mystery and Imagination"

I find their interpretation of Cask of Amontillado to be especially creepy, given the justaposition of the sweet sounding vocals with the actual content of what's being said...

• On a related note, The Alan Parsons Project had a whole album dedicated to Poe's stories back in 1976.   "Tales of Mystery and Imagination"

I find their interpretation of Cask of Amontillado to be especially creepy, given the justaposition of the sweet sounding vocals with the actual content of what's being said...

That was very cool!  Thanks for linking it.  1976, when the album was released, was a little before I got into Poe and I had never heard of the Alan Parsons Project.  I may have to listen to a few of the other songs on the album, too. 

• Just to keep anyone updated who is desperately waiting for the final installment of Jaguar Sadie's fur coat tutorial, here is the problem I'm having and trying to figure out.  I'm trying to give two ways to do the density maps. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the paintbrush which is kind of an important step for one of those ways.  I'm doing some research so I can figure out what it is that I'm doing wrong.  So, hopefully, it won't take me long to get this finished once I figure out the specifics of actually doing it.  It is one of my major goals for this weekend while DS is rendering in the background to get this figured out so I can finish the tutorial.  Thanks for you patience.  I hope that, by my figuring this out, it will save all of you tons of headaches in your future projects.

- Greg

I know what you mean. I have no real need for Star, but seeing what everbody is doing with her, I know it's only a matter of time before I buy her. Dialing in just a bit of her genes seems like it's perfect for cute chics and kids.

- Greg

Ya I am keeping an eye on her and the renders I run across.  Eventually I am sure I will cave lol.

I still watch animated movies.  My 23 year old daughter loves animated movies lol.  Movie night for the family (the youngest is 16 and it goes up from there) has been known to be entirely animated.  Who wants to grow up?  Not me!

• Well, I took off for the night to celebrate a different sort of anniversary.  My wedding anniversary was on August 31, but with the kids' busy schedule we couldn't go out on our night and so we went out tonight instead.  I've been married to the same man for 21 years now.  I don't know how he managed to put with me, but he did and I'm very happy about that.  I'm a little on the flighty side at times, too, so it constantly surprises me that I'm still with him and loving every minute we have together.  We went out to dinner at a fancier restaurant than we usually go and had a great Mexican dinner.  Unbelievably good!  I left my phone and my e-reader in my purse and actually had conversation over dinner.  It was very relaxing and I enjoyed myself immensely.  :)

• Happy Anniversary KM!!!! My Wedding Anniversary is Sept 27th been only married for 14 yrs now but been with him 25 yrs total!!! Seems like only yesterday we just met for god sake!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Happy Anniversary. We were 43 years married in July so you have a lot of fun to go yet :)

• Thanks for the well wishes guys!  I appreciate it.  @Fishtales  43 years!  Congrats!  Thats a long time to be with the same person!  :)  I am looking forward to the next 21 years, though, so I may get there, too.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Congrats! My wife and I have been married 17 years, had our anniversary a few weeks ago.

edited September 2016

Congrats! My wife and I have been married 17 years, had our anniversary a few weeks ago.

17 years and dealing with twins, if I remember correctly!  Something I'm very greatful I didn't have to deal with!  Being a twin myself, I kind feel bad for what we put my mother through at times.  ;)

edit to add:  Oh, and thanks for the congrats.  Congratulations to you, too.  Both to you and @Saphirewild  double digit anniversaries are getting so rare!

edit: I keep forgetting my manners!  Shame on me!

• Congratulations @knittingmommy!   That's a milestone to be proud of.

My wife and I are at 23 years and counting......

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

'dealing with twins' is right. ;)