DS animation linear movement

How how you stop the camera from flying all over the place and just make it a linear movement in an animation?

I've tried pointing it at a null but it still twists the rotation, have no idea how to straighten the movement out.

Anyone got experience with this.

Thanks !

Comments

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

bugged forever

or works as intended ?

if you animate with rotations daz studio ads weird rotations on the other 2 axis

this is with all object not only cameras

same does puppeteer

can you please fix this mr amd mrs daz ?

annoys me for years now

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited March 2016

I can't believe this, here they are doing these big Utube video's on animation, and this has been broken since DS3.0 and they still haven't fixed it, no wonder no professional will touch it.

Another thing I'm noticing some rotations go to a negative value instead of adding to the original value to me that's where it all going wrong it gets confused which way to go !

I'm shaking my head how are suppose to make any decent animation, even the point at trick has random twist in the camera movement, hopeless !

Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743

Ask them to do a video that uses the broken features... wink

at least they could do a video how to work around this issue

Ruphuss said:

at least they could do a video how to work around this issue

Maybe there is no workaround.

• There is but you keep the camera still and parent the whole scene to a null, accept the camera then move the null to simulate the fly by well that's for a camera move.

Move by not moving, wasn't that in DUNE ? Lol!

• Here's how I was trying to explain it, not sure if it will get the message across or if I know what I'm talking about, who knows?

• skamotionskamotion Posts: 86
    edited March 2016

I can't believe this, here they are doing these big Utube video's on animation, and this has been broken since DS3.0 and they still haven't fixed it, no wonder no professional will touch it.

Another thing I'm noticing some rotations go to a negative value instead of adding to the original value to me that's where it all going wrong it gets confused which way to go !

I'm shaking my head how are suppose to make any decent animation, even the point at trick has random twist in the camera movement, hopeless !

You can't animate in Daz Studio without hitting your head on the keyboard :). It's not designed for that really. The graph editor is broken ( hard to find the curve and near imposible to edit the curve, no tangent handles etc ) and the Dope sheet has limited capability and sometimes doesn't work correctly. There are so many issues with animating in DS that it's just too difficult / near impossible.

Post edited by skamotion on
  • mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029

How how you stop the camera from flying all over the place and just make it a linear movement in an animation?

I've tried pointing it at a null but it still twists the rotation, have no idea how to straighten the movement out.

Thanks !

I have no problems geting cameras to smoothly pan and zoom through a scene using Keymate and Graphmate. I think these are the essential plugins for animation. I don't see how you can do a real animation without these.

• mark128 said:

Thanks !

I have no problems geting cameras to smoothly pan and zoom through a scene using Keymate and Graphmate. I think these are the essential plugins for animation. I don't see how you can do a real animation without these.

I've got them both I may need to look at them a bit closer. I can see where Graphmate could help smooth out the camera movement and delete the nasty twists. But in reality there shouldn't be twist in simple linear movement and you should need 3rd party plugins to do it. But at least it may be a way around it. Thanks !

• If you are trying to do animation without aniMate 2, keyMate and graphMate, you are going to run into issues. Those plugins really help you do what can not be easily done in DAZ Studio. But DAZ Studio is not alone, you can find weaknesses in many paid programs.

Here's how I was trying to explain it, not sure if it will get the message across or if I know what I'm talking about, who knows?

Well that's a bad one - looks like they haven't tested the code thoroughly.

they are just not interested in animation issues

people mentioned this years ago

and still not even a statement

• millighostmillighost Posts: 261

Here's how I was trying to explain it, not sure if it will get the message across or if I know what I'm talking about, who knows?

This is not a bug. It is just how things work as they are done. Perhaps you have already heard of Euler-angles; it is the way that DS stores orientation information in the parameters (if you did not, it might be helpful to load up on knowledge about them before trying to animate the next blockbuster). They are known for being highly ambiguous. That means that every orientation your camera should have, has many representations in the parameters. By using the Point-At function DS would choose one possible parameter setting. Which might not be the right parameter setting to get the effect you want. It has however the benefit, that it will choose always the same setting, regardless of what happened in other frames. Imagine that you would fly over your object in the z-direction instead of flying around it. Then it would be perfectly fine to have the camera upside-down on the other side, even if the position the camera ends up is exactly the same as when flying around it. This "history of motion" that you want to have is rather uncommon in any animation package, not only DS. The typical solution requires either constraints (to limit the parameters the Point-At chooses further) and/or using keyframes. Alternate representations (like quaternions or axis/angle) for the tweens also help. DS has none of those (as far as i know - perhaps you can build something with the dependent parameters, i did not try that). It has keyframes, however. So specify some of them around the 180degree position (where the parameters flip over). Since keying the camera parameters does not work with Point-At active at the same time, give the camera a Null-parent, use the Null to Point-At the cube and key the camera's rotations to correct the unwanted orientation.

• Here's how I was trying to explain it, not sure if it will get the message across or if I know what I'm talking about, who knows?

This is not a bug. It is just how things work as they are done. Perhaps you have already heard of Euler-angles; it is the way that DS stores orientation information in the parameters (if you did not, it might be helpful to load up on knowledge about them before trying to animate the next blockbuster). They are known for being highly ambiguous. That means that every orientation your camera should have, has many representations in the parameters. By using the Point-At function DS would choose one possible parameter setting. Which might not be the right parameter setting to get the effect you want. It has however the benefit, that it will choose always the same setting, regardless of what happened in other frames. Imagine that you would fly over your object in the z-direction instead of flying around it. Then it would be perfectly fine to have the camera upside-down on the other side, even if the position the camera ends up is exactly the same as when flying around it. This "history of motion" that you want to have is rather uncommon in any animation package, not only DS. The typical solution requires either constraints (to limit the parameters the Point-At chooses further) and/or using keyframes. Alternate representations (like quaternions or axis/angle) for the tweens also help. DS has none of those (as far as i know - perhaps you can build something with the dependent parameters, i did not try that). It has keyframes, however. So specify some of them around the 180degree position (where the parameters flip over). Since keying the camera parameters does not work with Point-At active at the same time, give the camera a Null-parent, use the Null to Point-At the cube and key the camera's rotations to correct the unwanted orientation.

Thanks for the info !

There's a lot to think about there, and will have a go with the null it may be a simpler fix than I think, will let you know how it goes! Cheers

• vortex3DSvortex3DS Posts: 9
    edited March 2017

DS 4.9.3.166: The NULL approach doesn't work either. I also noticed the problem doesn't happen when orbiting the Y axis (flat on the floor). 

Post edited by vortex3DS on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I tried pointing out some pretty big issues to the ones who made the animate2 plugin that make animating a real pain and that really don't make sense on how they work. The impression I got from their response was "we've got these rose colored glasses and everything works wonderfully. you just don't have a clue how to make animations."