Texturing with DestinysGarden

Comments

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

Mine's done  and I had fun playing around :) 

Need to learn how to do the lightning so it's more obvious that there's shine in the texture.

texturechallenge.jpg
    1159 x 1500 - 940K
  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

Great Tutorial! Thanks for Sharing!

I'm Eager for more!

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited March 2016

I go to bed and everyone has fun without me. Awesome!

Sonja, I'm not sure why your entire surface is shiny. Do you have Metallicity turned on too? Could you put up a screen shot of your surfaces tab? I like the effect you are getting as it is.

David - that looks great. Keeping the print large scale makes it very dramatic.

Kharma - very pretty! It is up to you if you want to use Metallicity and Metalic Flakes together. Try rendering with one or the other of them turned off and see if you like the results better.

Ferret - the gold on blue is very classy. Great job. We'll get to lighting a bit later on. There are tons of forum threads on the subject already.

Welcome Renomista.

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
    edited March 2016

Dracorn - cute birds wink Are they yours? If they are, you had better tell us their names or I'm going to imagine they are called Tweety and Bluebird, and that is really corney, so please bail me out here. Edit: But if you did name your birds Tweety and Bluebird, those are really great names, and I'll stop digging myself into a hole here, LOL. I'd like a bird, or better yet a rat, but my husband keeps reminding me that we have 3 cats, and birds or rodents in the house with them is a bad idea. I've almost got him sold on the idea of a bearded dragon, but he said I'd have to feed the thing the crickets myself. Harumpf.

I was afraid someone would bring up 3Delight. Nuts.

What would you like to do? MJC is correct that the image editor for the 3DL shaders does not offer the seperate tiling parameters, but there are ways around that with shader mixer. Be forewarned that shader mixer is not my biggest skill either. I'm remembering back to high school calculus, and any correct result was most likely lucky guesswork, heh.

If you want to put a shiny overlay on something, that will be no problem, and we can certainly take a look at the parameters for the Daz default 3DL shader, and/or Ubersurface, which I prefer.

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
  • dHandledHandle Posts: 617

David - that looks great. Keeping the print large scale makes it very dramatic.

Thanks DG!  I think it was one of those 'happy accidents' (like your experience with calculus) that it turned out looking ok.

So...I started out with a plane that was 1 m square to get this result.  If I had used a different dimension, am I correct in assuming the result would have been different?  I didn't look at the tiling feature at all yet.  What's the best way to change the pattern size; tiling or starting out with a smaller plane?

And thanks again for sharing your time and expertise!  Much appreciated!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Destiny:

Yes, these are my birds. Their names are (left to right) Sunny and... Shayne.  They are both girls (we were newbies and thought Shayne was a boy until her nose turned brown instead of blue).  She's the Einstein.  If you want to know more about what my husband calls "The World Famous Shayne," you can read all about her here:  http://talkbudgies.com/archived-budgie-health/330810-fighting-save-shaynes-life-going.html

As to 3DL (it appears that my bribe worked, hehe), I'm interested in whatever technique is easier for you to explain.  I can delve into Shader Mixer myself, and since my husband is a math wiz, I have no worries there. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I will post a screen shot a bit later when I sit down to play a bit more.  I like the effect too but I would like to get the other effect too lol.

The default UV map on the primitive plane is set up so that an image will fill the space 1:1 ratio, no matter the size or divisions of the plane. To get a smaller scale pattern, you will need to tile it.

Here is a quickie of two planes. The smaller one is 1meter, 1 division, and the larger one is 10 meters with 10 divisions. You can see the image fills the the entire surface of each plane, with the size of the pattern being realtive to the size of the plane.

That got wordy, sorry. Never be afraid to click the render button and see what happens.

Capture44.PNG
    618 x 727 - 453K

OK - here are my attempts:

Both with metal flakes, and the second one I turned to silver ('cause I like blue 'n silver).

I would like to make the skirt on the second image sheer, but I have no idea how to change transparency in Iray.

Looking forward to the 3Delight equivalent.

MauveGold on Dress.jpg
    500 x 700 - 156K
    I-BlueSilver 02.jpg
    500 x 750 - 157K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited March 2016

dracorn invert the metal weight map and put that inverted map in to the Translucency Weight channel and give it a strength of around 0.20 to start with, higher for more see through and put the cloth diffuse map in the Translucency Colour channel and leave Scatter as is.

Post edited by Szark on

Szark has good tips there, but you don't actually have to invert anything. The maps I gave out 1A and 1W are already reversed of each other. 1A is black on white, and 1W is white on black, if that makes sense. In addition to the translucency options, you will also get more sheer by lowering the cutout opacity. 1.0 is full strength. 0.9 is 90%, etc.

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited March 2016

ok..I got the metal flakes figured out, and changed the tiling to get a smaller pattern.

Progress!

: )

edit to add 2nd render: I swapped out the 1A for the 1W to see the effects.  The 1st one has the metal on the yellow pattern, the 2nd has the metal on the blue background. cool!

DGMetal_01.jpg
    900 x 506 - 203K
    DGMetal_02.jpg
    900 x 506 - 203K
    Post edited by dHandle on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited March 2016

I know this is only the beginning of texture learning but something I would like to learn to do is how you would texture the Morphing Fantasy Mask and Collar to make them look like a head piece and necklace.  I think you use some type of transparency mask or similar? I am definitely looking forward to learning how to texture the fantasy castle :)

Also would like to learn how to make my own texture resources to use to make the shaders then there is no worry about copyright issues

Post edited by Kharma on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

UU,, I really like this tutoriall ^^  because,, she started example with  only one black and white texture,,so,, when tweaking them with one parameter,,

I really colud learn much  about Uber shader ,,and practical usage of each shader property and map,,

before I tried to adjust flake ,, I could not controll them what I  need,, and could not clear understand how

flake  color layered,,  I gradually understand now ^^,,  then this is my sutdent example 1 ^^;

my self  attempt,, is,,try to  controll base color with metaclity map as mask  .  I hoped divide metalic area, and diffues main area,

then made new  base color  map using metalicity map as mask.    and controll flake are too,,  I must  keep learning with this topic .cheeky

Test.png
    800 x 1035 - 1M
    basecolor.PNG
    1078 x 517 - 267K
    edited March 2016

I tried again with just using the metallic flakes instead of using both flakes and metallicity, mine just doesn't seem as shily as some...is it the lighting?  I am just using the basic dome lighting

Edit to add another image with different light set up...I don't notice alot of difference, definitely need to work on lighting

Sapphire.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 341K
    Saphire2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 254K
    Post edited by Kharma on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Okay, did my homework.  Since everyone was doing dresses, I decided to be a little different.  I tried mine out on the bedspread of on Modern Bed.  I always find it amazing how light and folds can affect how fabric looks.  Anyway, just done with and HDRI lighting and nothing else.

I went back and read the intro now that it is up.  First, you know I love your products, DG, especially the stuff you do with InaneGlory.  There have been times when I'm wrestling with whether to buy a new product and it seriously comes down to a race between you and InaneGlory.  I always feel a little guilty if I have to pick only one.  I have to decide it I need the snazzy new shader more or do I need the lights more.  Tough decisions.  While I knew you had teamed up on projects, I had no idea you were a husband/wife team!  I think now I won't feel so guilty picking between the two of you.  Of course, there isn't much left in either current catalogs that I can get.  You'll have to do more products soon.  Love the new Iray Studio, btw.  I'm having loads of fun with that.  (P.S.  I, also, thought InaneGlory was a girl.  I have no idea why!)

As for quilting patterns, yeah, I've got one or two or a hundred in my quilting stash.  So, yes, I remember the feeling of getting those directions "layer with batting and backing, baste, quilt as desired, and bind." and then thinking there is way more to this than implied.  Of course, the benefit of my quilting obsession is that I have tons of fabric samples from which draw inspiration and use as resources.  I even have a wide variety of polyester from back in the 70's that my mom saved from dresses she made my twin sister and I when were kids.  All in little squares about 4" or 5", I kid you not!

Sonja, if you wait, FF is likely to go on sale and you can get it for around $40.  I bought mine here in the store.  The previous version.  I'm not sure if they still sell it here.  But, they are always having it on sale on the FF website if you wait long enough.

Hmmm, I have that Fantasy Tower tutorial, but haven't done anything with it yet.  Guess I should try making a tower!  yes

Wow! 45 messenges since I was on this early morning before heading out to do mom stuff.  Guess I have some catching up to do!

DGChallenge1A.jpg
    800 x 800 - 858K
    DGChallenge1_Bedspread02.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    Kharma said:

I tried again with just using the metallic flakes instead of using both flakes and metallicity, mine just doesn't seem as shily as some...is it the lighting?  I am just using the basic dome lighting

I haven't really dived into Iray since it was first in Beta so I'm not sure, but in most programs shiny and reflective items need something to reflect for the best results. If the basic dome lighting you are using is more of less just a constant source of light, try an HDRI with some variation to it or set up a basic 3-point light system and you might get better results. smiley

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,129
    edited March 2016

Well today I tried making my own B&W pattern and playing some more.

Here's the Medieval Cloak with (a) my pattern in the metal flakes slot and (b) the inverted pattern in the metallicity slot. They look quite different.

Kharma asked about lighting - I've been using the base HDRI that comes with DAZ Studio plus a set of 3 spotlights adapted from the Aureous Lighting set (changing the light colours to a more neutral instead of the gold) - what about the rest of you?

ETA: Ah I see MDO2010 has already suggested this sort of thing.

DGtexturechallenge-B.jpg
    1536 x 1024 - 521K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Melanie that looks very nice, I will have to try making a 3 point light I guess, I did attach another image to my post above using FWSA Lights but didn't make much difference I think

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    Kharma said:

Hi khalma,, with my playing,, I do not hink,, you need to use metalicity  to shine the fralkes , it is different layer,,

but for shine all area,, metalicity is first choice to decide,, it shine (like metal or not),, then you controll it by metalicity map.

.And,, I try to add,, shine by metal  flakes , only about  diffuse color  (metalicity = 0 ) area,, with using metalicity,,

(I think,, if  only use flakes,, not use metalicity at all,, , it can shine hard,, with controll flake parameters,

though  "metalic flake" shine ,whole area , not shine by metal (base) color,,

I usually set ,,really extra value,, to clear see how each property = about falke work,, then adjust them more reasonable value.

it is my setting,,  can it help some of you?

I use only,, defalt enviroment light,, with back ground iamge,,,(this time,,  I set metalicity =0 , Glossy layer weight = 0,  

to check only, metalic flake effect,,it seem clear see,, how it work for me,,  , but  I wait,, teacher witll clear  answer  for you, smiley)

metalparameter.PNG
    1265 x 780 - 1M

I love that everyone is experimenting.

David - looking good.

Kharma - we are definately going to get to the start to finish re-texture of an existing item. I like the morphing mask idea, and I think I have that too, so thanks for the suggestion. As far as your fabric not looking as shiny, I think it is the lights as others have suggested. The FWSA lights are giving a really nice soft and even look. The skin looks fabulous. You could try adding a spotlight or pointlight close the person to shine more directly on the fabric, but really I think the fabric looks good too. You are getting shine where the light is hitting the figure, without overblown highlights, which can be very hard to do actually.

Kit - that is wonderful. I really like how big you have made the Metallic Flakes size and they almost look like sequins. You are working your way through the surfaces tab exactly in the manner I did when Iray first came out.

Melanie - beautiful. I like the pattern a lot.

Knittingmommy - the quilting fabric takes over the hose if you let it. I'd think it multiples on it's own, but then reciepts for the fabric stores keep truning up, and then you remember that is not actually the case. I inherited a bunch of really nice 40's feedsack fabrics from my grandmother, along with some truly terrible stuff from the 70's. IG gets that all the time. I have been assuring people for years on the forums that I personally know he is definately a man. Don't worry about the Fantasy Tower, we have a donor.

MDO2010 - thanks for the donation. Fugazi does excellent tuorials, so I was surprised that one sort of ended with "texture as desired," but it doesn't say anything about texturing the thing on the product page, so he was not being misleading. We'll figure it out.

I need a few hours to get a handle on starting texturing the morphing fantasy mask or the fantasy tower, and I'm desperately trying to get a new product submitted this weekend, so I'll check back later tonight.

cheers!

Thanks Szark and Destiny.  That worked, and here are the results:

Cutout opacity only.jpg
    500 x 750 - 150K
    edited March 2016

I love that everyone is experimenting.

David - looking good.

Kharma - we are definately going to get to the start to finish re-texture of an existing item. I like the morphing mask idea, and I think I have that too, so thanks for the suggestion. As far as your fabric not looking as shiny, I think it is the lights as others have suggested. The FWSA lights are giving a really nice soft and even look. The skin looks fabulous. You could try adding a spotlight or pointlight close the person to shine more directly on the fabric, but really I think the fabric looks good too. You are getting shine where the light is hitting the figure, without overblown highlights, which can be very hard to do actually.

Kit - that is wonderful. I really like how big you have made the Metallic Flakes size and they almost look like sequins. You are working your way through the surfaces tab exactly in the manner I did when Iray first came out.

Melanie - beautiful. I like the pattern a lot.

Knittingmommy - the quilting fabric takes over the hose if you let it. I'd think it multiples on it's own, but then reciepts for the fabric stores keep truning up, and then you remember that is not actually the case. I inherited a bunch of really nice 40's feedsack fabrics from my grandmother, along with some truly terrible stuff from the 70's. IG gets that all the time. I have been assuring people for years on the forums that I personally know he is definately a man. Don't worry about the Fantasy Tower, we have a donor.

MDO2010 - thanks for the donation. Fugazi does excellent tuorials, so I was surprised that one sort of ended with "texture as desired," but it doesn't say anything about texturing the thing on the product page, so he was not being misleading. We'll figure it out.

I need a few hours to get a handle on starting texturing the morphing fantasy mask or the fantasy tower, and I'm desperately trying to get a new product submitted this weekend, so I'll check back later tonight.

cheers!

Work first of course. Clearly we are all having a good time with what we have so far so no worries!

(fixed quote - mod)

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Yes, I've had that theory myself. Imagine my surprise when I find a receipt and find I actually paid for that fabric and it didn't just mulitply on its own.  40's feedsacks? Color me jealous!   I have a weakness for feedsacks and civil war era prints, unfortunately, all of mine is reproduction stuff.  Can't afford the prices sellers want for the actual vintage stuff!  Cheapest I've seen for the feedsacks is about $25 to $30/yard.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

*sneaks in and sits in the back of class

Welcome Kismet. I think there is still room in the second row for you. You don't have to go all the way to the back.

I got a chance to look at the Fantasy Tower, and I don't think it will be hard to texture. It should be fun.

Dracorn, that is amazing.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited March 2016
    MelanieL said:

Well today I tried making my own B&W pattern and playing some more.

Here's the Medieval Cloak with (a) my pattern in the metal flakes slot and (b) the inverted pattern in the metallicity slot. They look quite different.

Kharma asked about lighting - I've been using the base HDRI that comes with DAZ Studio plus a set of 3 spotlights adapted from the Aureous Lighting set (changing the light colours to a more neutral instead of the gold) - what about the rest of you?

ETA: Ah I see MDO2010 has already suggested this sort of thing.

Gorgeous pattern. They look different because of that metallic map. When the strength is set to 1 and you have a map, black represents the non-metallic areas, and white represents metallic. Shades of grey inbetween indicate various levels of metallicity. This is generally the way I prefer- letting the map handle the metallic strength, but that's generally because I use a 3D PBR painting workflow that can create metallicity maps.

Also I'm bookmarking this thread, because relevent to my interests. :P Good to see more people bringing more in-depth content creation knowledge to the table. I'll be eagerly awaiting anything you toss in regarding 3D Coat. I attempted the trial, and after being a Quixel/Substance user (neither of which can handle multi-tile uvs without some mesh sorcery first), it did my head in with all of the options.

While I'm at it, may as well throw one in too. Took it another route and created one of those textured frosted glass mirrors.

metallicflakes_mirror.PNG
    800 x 500 - 513K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,129

Thanks for your comments, Kharma, DestinysGarden and Vaskania. I'm looking forward to the next developments on this thread.

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited March 2016

Finally got around to appylying the texture to an outfit.

DGChallenge1.jpg
    695 x 900 - 324K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
    edited March 2016

This is with just the pattern in the metallicity

Metallicity Only Pink.png
    800 x 800 - 359K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on