DAZ Studio 4.5 - Fix Duplicate IDs script

Comments

• What exactly is the error message you are getting? Check the log file (Help>Troubleshooting>View log file) to get the full text.

• Duplicate id "Erastus-01_Eyes_Bump.jpg-1" found in file "/People/Genesis 3 Male/Materials/GDU/Erastus/Erastus-01.duf"

Duplicate id "Erastus-01_Legs_Specular.jpg-1" found in file "/People/Genesis 3 Male/Materials/GDU/Erastus/Erastus-01.duf"

Duplicate id "Erastus-02_Eyes_Bump.jpg-1" found in file "/People/Genesis 3 Male/Materials/GDU/Erastus/Erastus-02.duf"

Duplicate id "Erastus-02_Legs_Specular.jpg-1" found in file "/People/Genesis 3 Male/Materials/GDU/Erastus/Erastus-02.duf"

Duplicate id "Erastus-02_Legs_Specular.jpg-1" found in file "/People/Genesis 3 Male/Materials/GDU/Erastus/Erastus-Hairy.duf"

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,920
    edited February 2016

Hmm, that is odd - and not something my scrpt would help with (it fixed the issue of figure and geometry having the same name, as I recall - nothing texture related certainly). Are these files you saved directly from DS or have they been edited externally at all? If you don't mind attaching one of the problem .dufs file to a reply I will see if I can see the issue (no need for the textures, I just want to see if I can see any oddities in the file itself).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • They had been edited externally. I had initially set them up inside Studio. But when I used them on work computer, the home computer had included the full texture path in the file and the work computer had issues finding the the files. Somehow in the course of editing I managed to include duplicate entries for those texture references. I only found them after digging back thru the files themselves. I've since fixed them, but I can see if can retrieve one from a zip file and attach it here shortly.

• Ok. I think I managed to find a version of one of the files before I fixed it. Should be attached to this posting...

duf
    duf
    Erastus-01.duf
  • OK, I thought it might be something like that. You can, in future, avoid such issues by making sure the textures are in the mapped content directory \Runtime\Textures\Whatever folder (mapped meaning it's a content directory that appears under DAZ Studio Formats in the Content Library pane) before applying them to the model - then DS wil save only the relative path.

• That's exactly what I did and Studio listed the path from the hard drive down to the folder the textures were in.

• That's exactly what I did and Studio listed the path from the hard drive down to the folder the textures were in.

That shouldn't happen - please report it as a bug, with the steps listed.

• artxtapartxtap Posts: 147

The script does not appear to work on: 'genesis trench coat' by 'pusey designs'.

In most cases even if a DSF file has Duplicate IDs it still loads not this one.

Richard help - to get the Duplicate IDs fixed.

Get the message "unhandled error while executing script."

edited March 2016

Hmm, that doesn't sound like one of my errors, more as if DS is failing (or I didn't properly trap a potential error and you are getting the fall-back to the applciation). I know there were a few items that had unusual set-ups which the script wouldn't handle, do you have a link to that set?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • artxtapartxtap Posts: 147
    edited March 2016

sorry 'pusey designs' aka 'wilmap'

https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_product.php?id=79

better get this out now running win xp 32

Post edited by artxtap on
  • OK, I'll look tomorrow and see what I can work out.

• is there a way to make this work with genesis3 stuff?

• This is an old issue, from the introduction of DS 4.5 and the finalisation of the DSON format. Genesis 3 stuff really shouldn't be affected - are you sure it's the Duplicate IDs message you are seeing and not Duplicate Formulas?

• ThorThor Posts: 43

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at rhaseltine.ovbi.org.

Is there another source for this script?

• Thor said:

Server not found

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78mi1zh8p7udsgx/Fix Duplicate IDs.zip?dl=0

Though are you sure you need it? Most content affected by this really should have been updated at source by now.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Sometimes it's easier to just fix the files you already have instead of trying to hunt down where you got something at (if it's even still around at all) :)

Although, sometimes thigs just don't want to get fixed and you are stuck with the warnings.

• edited August 2016
    Thor said:

Server not found

Though are you sure you need it? Most content affected by this really should have been updated at source by now.

It might not be a problem with Genesis 3 items, but some of us do still use legacy content. Right now, I have a scene file that is throwing a Duplicate ID error, and the entire program crashes straight to the desktop as soon as it does (am running 4.8). I have no idea what item is in that scene that would be doing that, and this is the first time I've ever experienced a Duplicate ID error creating an instant crash-to-desktop situation. I'm going to have to start over on the scene, but it means I definitely need to have this script on hand even if it does seem like it might be "too old to be needed."

Thanks for re-posting it. It's appreciated.

Post edited by Seliah (Childe of Fyre) on
  • I suspect the crash and Duplicate ID may both be the result of some kind of corruption in the file, rather than one causing the other - certainly I've not come across cases where a normal Duplicate ID error causes a crash.

There's a freebie on sharecg, the HFS head shapes expansion as well as one of wilmap's shoe sets that cause a duplicate ID error with Genesis. Unfortunately I've not been able to fix either with the script :(

• There's a freebie on sharecg, the HFS head shapes expansion as well as one of wilmap's shoe sets that cause a duplicate ID error with Genesis. Unfortunately I've not been able to fix either with the script :(

No, the script is for fixing clothing models (where older versions of DS would allow the geometry and the skeleton to have the same name). Even then I found at least one item that it wouldn't fix, in that case the product somehow had two asset files instead of one.

Ahh, that would be why it can't fix those items

At least now I know

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Is there a difference between "Duplicate IDs" and "Duplicate Formulas"? 

This is an old issue, from the introduction of DS 4.5 and the finalisation of the DSON format. Genesis 3 stuff really shouldn't be affected - are you sure it's the Duplicate IDs message you are seeing and not Duplicate Formulas?

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Ah. Just read this. @RichardHaseltine, this script is ONLY for clothing products?  

There's a freebie on sharecg, the HFS head shapes expansion as well as one of wilmap's shoe sets that cause a duplicate ID error with Genesis. Unfortunately I've not been able to fix either with the script :(

No, the script is for fixing clothing models (where older versions of DS would allow the geometry and the skeleton to have the same name). Even then I found at least one item that it wouldn't fix, in that case the product somehow had two asset files instead of one.

• jakiblue said:

Is there a difference between "Duplicate IDs" and "Duplicate Formulas"? 

This is an old issue, from the introduction of DS 4.5 and the finalisation of the DSON format. Genesis 3 stuff really shouldn't be affected - are you sure it's the Duplicate IDs message you are seeing and not Duplicate Formulas?

Yes, they are completely different issues. The IDs are cases where two eleemnts in an asset - usually the figure and the geometry - have the same name, as DS did not enforce uniqueness initally or as the files were hand-edited and the distinction lost. The formulas error is two links between the same pair of parameters (as with an ERC link).

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652

Thank you so much for this script Richard! I found it just now and finally I can use the hair and clothes for Genesis without having this Duplicate ID message. yes
    Thanks again.

Love, Jeanne smiley

I'm glad it helped.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648

http://www.4shared.com/zip/oY0vbkJk/Fix_Duplicate_IDs.html

http://rhaseltine.ovbi.org/Fix_Duplicate_IDs.zip

Thanks to Kendall Sears for providing hsoting that doesn't require users to have an account, as 4Shared now does.

This script will (usually) fix files that throw the Duplicate IDs error in DAZ Studio 4.5. I have found one that didn't get fixed, which had a very odd structure, and another couple of items had errors that stopped it from working but it worked on everything else I tried. You should note, however, that many files at DAZ have already had the fix applied (or have been fixed manually) so you may want to reset your downloads on those.

It's simple to use - I'd make it a custom action, or open it with File>Merge, while viewing the folder with the content in the Content Library pane - that way the file selector will open in the right place. Select one or more files in the folder, click Accept, and it will do its thing. Don't go looking for files in the \data folder - the script expects to be given user files, usually in \People\Genesis\some folder, and will then find the data files from there. The script creates a .bak file for each file it edits - one in the library folder, one in the \daat folder, so that you can go back if it fails. If you do a lot of conversions and they are working you might want to use the OS search to find and remove the .bak files.

THX a lot for the explanation, now I have fixed the error and a scene, from which I have thought she was lost, is working again.yeslaugh

• Great, I'm glad it's still useful.

• KerwinKerwin Posts: 124

Thanks for the script support...it fixed up a buggy bit of content without missing a beat.  :)