Weird effect with stockings

gioloigioloi Posts: 57
edited March 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello

I apologize in advance if this topic has been already discussed.

When using stockings fitted to a model (Genesis 2 female) I always obtain this effect, like torn stockings (it happens with every stockings I use from different producers, I have some):

Light is uberenvironment.

I'm using DAZ Studio 4.8.

Someone can tell me how to work around it?

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• JPiatJPiat Posts: 68

I ran into this one a lot of time. Check the displacement weight : no negative value. Disable shadow for the stocking may help. Add a collision checker beetwen the stocking and the model also help but it can distord the texture.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I usually add a very small push modifier - like 0.12 - but too much will result in a noticeable gap between stocking and leg.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,951

It could also be occlusion - try lowering the occlusion distance on the lights you have

• SimonJM said:

It could also be occlusion - try lowering the occlusion distance on the lights you have

or Shadow Bias on the shadow-casting lights. Having it too high (in cm) will mean that areas where the fabric is close to the skin will not cast shadows while areas where it is further away will; however, you need to be careful as having it too low will cause self-shadowing (usually shows as dark bands).

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469

Apply Ubersurface shader to the stockings and in your surface tab deactivate Raytrace and Occlusion.  

• gioloigioloi Posts: 57
    SimonJM said:

You mean the occlusion strenght or the occlusion samples?

I can't find an occlusion distance parameter.

JPiat said:

I ran into this one a lot of time. Check the displacement weight : no negative value. Disable shadow for the stocking may help. Add a collision checker beetwen the stocking and the model also help but it can distord the texture.

Tried everything but don't work. The collision check was already active. I raised the parameters, with no effect.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,951
    gioloi said:
    SimonJM said:

You mean the occlusion strenght or the occlusion samples?

I can't find an occlusion distance parameter.

It's the shadow bias - as mentioned by Richard.  I can never remember what it's called!  The UberSurface suggestion by ben should also work

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

nice wet effect

ooh spilled my coke

SimonJM said:

or Shadow Bias on the shadow-casting lights. Having it too high (in cm) will mean that areas where the fabric is close to the skin will not cast shadows while areas where it is further away will

I set it to 0.01 and seems to work.

More experiments later.

Thanks a lot, Richard. :)

Ruphuss said:

nice wet effect

ooh spilled my coke

Unvoluntary, but nice.

Well, cannot exclude to exploit it, sooner or later. ;)