Do you like Generic, or "exotic" Wardrobe designs?

I was just curious, but for people using Daz3d for CG artwork, how often do you use clothing that is so unique as to be immediately identifiable?  I've found that while I like a lot of stuff I see in the Daz store, I'd never use it in an actual piece.  In fact I've been rather dissapointed when it comes to more generic everyday items that you might see actual people walking around in  (at least when it comes to female characters).   If I ever got deep enough into the creation side of this hobby,  I'm wondering would it be worth my time to model some clothes based on an actual contemporary fashion magazine.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,633

Not sure i understand the question. As for the immediately identifiable outfits, I like getting them, but tend to kitbash with them or use my own textures to make then more unique. As for boring, everyday type outfits, there are plenty in the stores and I also do the same with them to make them more unique.. As for actual contemporary fashion type items, unless they have a sci fi type feel, I tend to stay away from them since I can't really use them, luckily there are not to many wierd styles like you see in runway magazines these days.

remember, like in real life, it's not what you wear, but how you wear it, LOL.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I prefer things that are versatile enough to be used in lots of settings and are reasonably timeless. A dress for G2F made from loom bands might have been fun a year or two ago, but it would probably have been used once, if at all, and would be lurking at the bottom of my runtime now :)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956

If you enjoyed it yes.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325

Nice work FSMCDesigns.  I particularly like, "The Signal".

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited March 2016

+1 on the everyday, contemporary clothes. That's almost exclusively what I buy.

Then what is important is versatility for poses - especially sitting and kneeling. Also clothes that actually open and close, off-shoulder straps, bathrobes that untie and open, etc. etc. Oh, and realistic folds. I like those garments at the other store which have product descriptions listing dozens of movement and adjustment morphs. 

Post edited by marble on
  • father1776father1776 Posts: 982

In my world, folks wear normal clothing, except for a rare personality.

So I mainly prefer normal clothing

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

The fact that the MFD has been recreated for every female generation that Daz 3D has released does tend to show that a basic outfit can be customised many different ways, You can see many different uses of the MFD, both in the store and in the freebie items that are available for it.  The MFD page on my site has just a few examples  http://chohole.ovbi.org/page_7.htm

So "real life" fashion would do better if it was similarly customisable, and as FSMCDesigns said, can also be "Kit Bashed" with other items to make even more versatility. Again the page I have linked to shows some of the Kit bashes I have done.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,907
    edited March 2016

I like diversity. And sometimes I find 'exotic' outfits can actually double for less exotic stuff. Like long tunics can be editted in a bunch of ways.

What I don't like is 'bikini wear #251'

But hey. ;)

Edit to add: although part of this is that I've managed to get a lot of clothes, and Wilmap has a very extensive free library of clothes, which helps a LOT. If I had to pick only a handful of garments, then yeah, I'd go for more generic/kitbashable outfits (MFD and a few other things).

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Before that Rendo script, the only time I bought clothing was when getting a bundle. Now, anything that looks believable I will consider. Some 1920s stuff for Adults and Kids would be cool.

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856

I would say either is fine, but I prefer practical clothes to impractical. So I would rather have a full set of armour for women, with no high heels. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,569

I like military content and scifi body armor. I am not sure how realistic those are but that's what I use most. I tend not to use sexy clothing and real world is only useful if it blends with the theme I use most.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 912

I want pants (and shirts) with crap stuffed in the pockets. No one carries a wallet in DAZ Land. I'd like an engineer with a pocket protector and pens in his shirt pocket (Ink stain optional)

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    MarcCCTx said:

"I want pants (and shirts) with crap stuffed in the pockets. No one carries a wallet in DAZ Land. I'd like an engineer with a pocket protector and pens in his shirt pocket (Ink stain optional)"

Not a bad idea or suggestion at all.

bradrg said:

"I would say either is fine, but I prefer practical clothes to impractical. So I would rather have a full set of armour for women, with no high heels."

Yeah, the heels on female armour tends to make it look like cos-play. 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    MarcCCTx said:

I want pants (and shirts) with crap stuffed in the pockets. No one carries a wallet in DAZ Land. I'd like an engineer with a pocket protector and pens in his shirt pocket (Ink stain optional)

Can't help with the shirt...but....

http://www.sharecg.com/v/57225/view///

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    Count me down for "exotic" although it's less exotic and more historical that really gets me going. I've made my peace with the fact that I love some really, really niche things that I'm never going to see unless I make them myself (like say Viennese reform dress from the turn of the century)
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    j cade said:
    Count me down for "exotic" although it's less exotic and more historical that really gets me going. I've made my peace with the fact that I love some really, really niche things that I'm never going to see unless I make them myself (like say Viennese reform dress from the turn of the century)

Umm...yeah, you'll need to make those...hint, hint...

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109

Exotic -- but historic. :-)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

I mostly go for contemporary casual, but I really like stuff that I can take pieces from.  The only thing I really, really dislike is the constant drumbeat of clothes with a (1) roving hole(s), (2) flap that hangs between the legs.  For some reason that last one really gets under my skin, and it's a perennial of 'fantasy' 3D costumes.

--  Morgan

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

I like ones with good numbers of material zones so I can re-texture them easily!
     (less time I have to spend in Geometry Editor trying to isolate areas, the happier I am :D )

• Buddhist clothes

14168_645832812113610_1026636377_n.jpg
    960 x 639 - 124K
  • GatorGator Posts: 1,268
    Scavenger said:

I like ones with good numbers of material zones so I can re-texture them easily!
     (less time I have to spend in Geometry Editor trying to isolate areas, the happier I am :D )

This here!  The clothes with many material zones are much more versatile.

Sure, I can use Geometry Editor and Photoshop, but there's times where I guess I get lazy and think it's not worth all the time it will take, and look through my runtime for something else.

Normal or exotic - it depends on the render I'm doing.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i want some fantasy skimpwear for the guys.