Reality 4.2 (Lux render) Vs. Iray strenghts and weaknesses

What do you think about Iray VS Lux render (Reality)?

I haven't used Iray cause it came after I just bought Reality 2.5, and now I use Reality 4.2.

Which things would you point out as advantages and disadvantages of both engines.

Is it necessary to buy the shaders for Iray or they can be done in DAZ from scratch?

How about human skin rendering?

Atmospheric effects like fog, volumetric lights, water ?

IBL illumination

Speed in renders

shadow control

fur/ hair

Is it difficult or easier to light a scene in Iray, and how about the capabilities to use different types of lights?

I'd appreciate your comments because I don't know if I should stay with Reality/Lux  or change to Iray.

Thanks

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,591

Why not just try it and see for yourself, then again it doesn't have to be one or the other.

I don't use Iray as much as I like because I have to use it in CPU mode which makes it about as fast as lux renders for me. I also prefer Reality/Lux with heavy scenes since i can use my PC for other things as opposed to Iray which pretty much takes over the system when I render. I do like the sunlight/outdoor renders with Iray though. I prefer Reality when I have to edit shaders/materials since it makes more sense to me and i understand the parameters as opposed to the many slots in Iray materials.

I plan to use Iray more once I upgrade my PC, but for now Reality/Lux does everything I need.

• Personally I haven't been that happy with the latest Luxrender. The results just don't seem as good as I was able to get with the previous version.

That has driven me back to take a look at Iray again.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited February 2016

I liked lux but as Jason says the latest has several issues and works best in basic none accelerated mode. I have the hardware to run iray and have made many renders that look close to lux. I think having both since I already own Reality is not a bad thing but am using more iray for my current chapters. Reality / lux will give you decent results using mesh lighting whareas with iray the different light sets will give different results..

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

If you haven't spotted it, there is another thread asking a similar question. I can't really add more than I have alredy.

However, I'd draw your attention to the response by StratDragon for serious consideration:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1018785/#Comment_1018785

• I have used Reality since it first came on the scene. For a long time it was the only render engine I used. I have donated to support the Luxrender project as well. I have the hardware to handle the new software too...

And yet, I have only felt ambivelent about the results I have gotten.

For the time being I am going to experiment with Iray for a while. I will return to Reality / Luxrender at the next LR release.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,767
    I use cycles via the free teleblend exporter Very fast even in CPU only.
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    wolf359 said:
    I use cycles via the free teleblend exporter Very fast even in CPU only.

I've only played a little with cycles in Blender but it is impressive.The fact Casual has made a free tool that allows you to render with another engine that is not dependent on any specific hardware is a noble offering and it's often overlooked due to Blender-phobia. Smith Micro is now using Cycles in Poser in lieu of a HW proprietary rendering solution. If you dont have a 4GB nvida card, you dont have the aptitude for 3Delight (I never did!) or you just don't want to invest in Reality or Luxus to act as an intermediary to LuxRender then Cycles is an amazing engine with tremendous potential. 

The thread can be found here or the freebies section of the forums, if nothing else check it out and thank Casual for this amazing and astonishingly free wonder.