Modeling Clothes

I have a model of a dress that I wish to add a length of cloth (dag) to the sleeves and want to know how to attach them. Could anyone help please?

Comments

• I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want to do. I looked up 'dag' in a dictionary and it can mean a piece of shredded or scalloped material.

If you want it to be an extension of an existing edge, then select the edge, press CTRL on the mouse and drag.  When you release the mouse, you can repeat while the edge is still selected.  (This is fast extrude).

• Thats what it is. I am trying to attach the strip of cloth to the sleve which is a tube shape. I want it to hang off the center of the tube straight down. This is an existing clothing item that was designed for use in the Poser cloth room and I am converting it for use in Daz Studio as a smart cloth item using DynaCreator for Daz studio. The problem is the cloth is not attached properly and when I run Dynamic Clothing app from inside Daz Studio the pieces fall to the floor, but the dress drapes properly. The tutorial for correcting the problem says to Sew the unstitched vertices, Select unstitched vertices and sew them with "edges" and "faces" But I don't quite understand what it is telling me to do in this case.

Thanks.

• You need to weld them in a modeling app like Hexagon etc

• That is what I have been attempting to do but no luck so far.

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833
    edited February 2016

This is a question for those who know more than I do!

I'm editing out a wrong answer I posted accidentally.

Post edited by Hermit Crab on
  • OK, The above post was an editing Glitch!

What to try is:

1 Select both items.  Do this by selecting one item and selecting the second while holding shift.  (The items need to be placed where you want them to be in relation to each other).

2 Go to the Vertex Modelling tab and press the Weld icon.

This makes the two items into one object as far as I can tell.  I don't know how they will behave in the program you are using for draping.

The instructions you quoted sound like you are advised to weld vertices or create extra polygons to join your cloth mesh to the sleeve.  I tried this with the Bridge tool and also by welding vertices but I think the end results would be poor - the bridge tool leaves holes and welding vertices pulls parts of the model out of position.

Perhaps someone else might have a better solution.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Difficult give guidance without seeing the actual item;  here is some generalised advice:_-

Importing via the bridge makes it look like it is already 1 mesh.  You need to import it as an .obj (make sure it is exported without being welded and the  "merge groups" option in the import dialogue is not selected) to see the separate meshes.  Join into 1 by selecting all and using the weld tool - not the weld vertices tool.  Then you have to match up vertices from one mesh and either target weld or weld vertices.  Average weld may also work, depending on their closeness and how they match up.

A problem you may run into is things like belt loops and sewn on pockets which are not attached to anything, just placed there.  They will likely be closed meshes, so you have to figure out a method of opening the ends, opening the matching part on the main clothing item and welding verts.

Some screen grabs in solid wireframe view, including the properties panel, will help in giving you specific advice.