TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
edited September 2012 in The Commons

This is a simple tutorial stolen from a thread where Jaderail broke it down nicely. I had seen two people ask so I thought it may be beneficial to just put this up here with the title "TUTORIAL" by it.

1. Load your item
2. Select it in the Scene Tab
3. Open your Surfaces tab and in it, open your item.
4. You 'll get a list of all the different Material zones the item has. Select the one you wish to change.
5. A list of properties opens.
6. In your Content Folder or your Smart Content folder to find your shaders
7. Click or double click the shader. You might see it applied in your viewport or it just might go some off white color. Some shaders only show up properly at the time you Render. You can do a quick check with Spot Render.

What I would like to see is an explanation on how to make your own shaders in DAZ3D. Does anyone know how who is willing to share?

Post edited by RKane_1 on

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited February 2014

Tips and Tricks

Khory states:"I generally start off with by using the the surface selection tool. That way I know I have the object selected as well. I also use right click and look at the list to see if I can use that to select the surfaces I want to change. And don’t forget that you can do multiple select holding down the shift key."

and

"Oh and I forgot to mention that if your fiddling and not changing every single setting you can select just the parts you need to work on. For example you can select bump, diffuse and specularity 1 and not have to see the rest of the details."

scorpio64dragon states:"I can’t see that anyone has mentioned how to keep textures when applying shaders.Hold down the CTRL key while applying the shader and select ‘ignore from the drop down box."

maclean states (from another thread on creating a Zero Materials Button):
    "A Shader Preset is simply a single material, as opposed to a Materials Preset which is multiple materials. Shader Presets can be applied to any selected material(s), regardless of name, whereas a Material Preset will only apply to materials with the same name(s).

So, for example, if you save a Materials Preset for a human figure, it will only work on another figure with those materials. That’s why I said saving a Shader Preset is better. You can apply it to any materials at all, no matter what names they have, and it will work on human figures, buildings, props, etc.

To save a preset
    1. Select any prop or figure.
    2. Select any material on it (in the Surfaces pane).
    3. Set up the material the way you want it (white or whatever)
    4. Go to the Save menu (in the content pane) and choose Shader Preset, then name it.

To apply a preset
    1. Select a prop or figure.
    2. Select the material(s) you want to affect. (To select more than one material, hold down CTRL and click their names)
    3. Apply the Shader Preset you saved

Note that you can also choose to save a Custom Preset in the dialog. That means you could (for example), only choose to affect the Diffuse Color by making it white, but leave all the other settings unchanged. That would leave things like Bump maps in place. To do that, just choose Custom, expand the channels and only check the ones you want to affect. "

Pendraia wrote:

"Shader Mixer and Shader Builder are now consistent (by default) in that the brick/block network flows from left to right, like a[n English] book is read. From start (the input - either user or programmatic) to finish (the final output or the "root"). If you prefer the flow of the network to be in the opposite direction, where the roots/outputs are on the left and all of the inputs flow in from the right, you can change the default for any new shaders in Edit > General Preferences. Each shader can be changed separately in Edit > Shader Preferences. "

MattyManx said":"To learn about the Shader Mixer, I would suggest looking at the forum archive here - List of Shader mixer tutorials and recipes" but...

Szark then said:"Unfortunately the Shader Mixer has changed so much I am finding it hard to continue my self education even using the recipes above."

Slimer_J_Spud states: "One question that comes up from time to time is, if you apply some exotic shader and go, “Eeewww how do I get back to where I was?” The simplest answer (other than Ctrl-Z) is to apply a material preset or pz2 file that sets it back to some simple shader like Daz Studio Default. From the Surfaces tab, you can change the materials used, but I don’t think you can change the shader directly. That’s why applying a saved MAT pose, or shader preset will take you back to a simpler shader. Then you discover that Ctrl-double click on the shader trick. Once I tweak something the way I like it, I always save a MAT pose in dsa format as a starting point for future fiddling."

MattyManx also said:"Speaking of Ambiant Occlusion, pwSurface2 also has AO

This is the online pwS2 help guide which also comes with the shader when you purchase it - Poseworks Shaders Documentation

All Posework DS shaders has a simular online guide. Just Google the name of the pwShader and it should be one of the first links."

Carnite's Tutorial on Shaders at Youtube

Beginner's Introduction to Shader Mixer

Beginning Shader Mixer 2 - Saving a Shader Preset

Shader Mixer - Catching Shadows Part 1

DAZ Shader Tutorials

DAZ 3D - Shader Mixer Part 1

DAZ 3D - Shader Mixer Part 2

DAZ 3D - DAZ Studio Advanced Rendering Part 1

DAZ 3D - DAZ Studio Advanced Rendering Part 2

omnifreaker's Tutorials on Youtube

UberSurface2 Introduction Tutorial

UberSurface2 Layering Tutorial

What a Difference AO makes!
    includes recipes to add AO to a surface that uses DS standard shaders:

Ambient Occlusion and Uber Env Q&A and Advice Thread
    includes Stonemason's version of default ds shader + ao recipe

Gel Lights

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

Heehee...Love the thread title!! :lol:

edited December 1969

Honesty is the best apology to those you plagiarize from. *smile*

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited September 2012

SORRY -- wrong thread. Was browsing back and forth between a couple of windows at the same time...

Post edited by Morpheon on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I generally start off with by using the the surface selection tool. That way I know I have the object selected as well. I also use right click and look at the list to see if I can use that to select the surfaces I want to change. And don't forget that you can do multiple select holding down the shift key.

edited December 1969

Good to know, Khory! And thank you for sharing that info with us.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Oh and I forgot to mention that if your fiddling and not changing every single setting you can select just the parts you need to work on. For example you can select bump, diffuse and specularity 1 and not have to see the rest of the details.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'll jump in and say I'm very happy to see this covered in more detail. I just give a quick answer to help Users solve the one problem they have at that time. I hope my help encourages them to learn more on their own. I think this should be covered in depth.

And Thank you for the Mention, but it was not needed.

I'm still NEW to DS4.5P so all the info I never had will help others like me in the days ahead.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,343
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

What I would like to see is an explanation on how to make your own shaders in DAZ3D. Does anyone know how who is willing to share?

I think Zigraphix have a basic tutorial in shader mixer. I don't remember where.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited December 1969

I can't see that anyone has mentioned how to keep textures when applying shaders.
    Hold down the CTRL key while applying the shader and select 'ignore from the drop down box.

edited December 1969

I can't see that anyone has mentioned how to keep textures when applying shaders.
    Hold down the CTRL key while applying the shader and select 'ignore from the drop down box.

Wow! I did NOT know that.

That is one helpful bit of information there.

I think I am going to redo the original post to add this info and other bits learned herein.

THANKS, Scorp!

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    RKane_1 said:

I think Zigraphix have a basic tutorial in shader mixer. I don't remember where.

If you can find the link, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks for mentioning it!

edited September 2012

RKane_1 said:
    gilikshe said:
    RKane_1 said:

If you can find the link, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks for mentioning it!

It is there: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/shader-mixer-tutorial-i
    Unfortunately it's no more for sale.

For a more advanced level in shader, Renderman books and shader builder are the ideal option. In DS4.5 converting from shader builder to shader mixer works very fine.

Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for everybody's input in this thread. I appreciate it.

Does anyone else have Shader tips and tricks to share? We would love to hear them!

:)

edited December 1969

I had a post about why there is no "Zero Materials Button" and maclean dropped this bit of wisdom...

"A Shader Preset is simply a single material, as opposed to a Materials Preset which is multiple materials. Shader Presets can be applied to any selected material(s), regardless of name, whereas a Material Preset will only apply to materials with the same name(s).

So, for example, if you save a Materials Preset for a human figure, it will only work on another figure with those materials. That’s why I said saving a Shader Preset is better. You can apply it to any materials at all, no matter what names they have, and it will work on human figures, buildings, props, etc.

To save a preset
    1. Select any prop or figure.
    2. Select any material on it (in the Surfaces pane).
    3. Set up the material the way you want it (white or whatever)
    4. Go to the Save menu (in the content pane) and choose Shader Preset, then name it.

To apply a preset
    1. Select a prop or figure.
    2. Select the material(s) you want to affect. (To select more than one material, hold down CTRL and click their names)
    3. Apply the Shader Preset you saved

Note that you can also choose to save a Custom Preset in the dialog. That means you could (for example), only choose to affect the Diffuse Color by making it white, but leave all the other settings unchanged. That would leave things like Bump maps in place. To do that, just choose Custom, expand the channels and only check the ones you want to affect. "

Thanks, maclean!

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited September 2012

I want to know how to create a shader like the LIE series that applies additional texture overlays to any character skinshader you have loaded and leaving the original shader setting in place. I know how to do multi layer editing, but I want a shader instead of manually doing it.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

To learn about the Shader Mixer, I would suggest looking at the forum archive here - List of Shader mixer tutorials and recipes

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Unfortunatley the Shader Mixer has changed so much I am finding it hard to continue my self education even using the reciepes above.

Cool thread BTW, excellent Idea.

edited September 2012

Thanks, Szark.

I hope to have many more people chime in with tips and tricks that work in 4.5 so that the original two posts can be fleshed out into a monstrosity of helpful info.

If anyone sees Zigrafix, please point him/her towards this thread. *smile*

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

One question that comes up from time to time is, if you apply some exotic shader and go, "Eeewww how do I get back to where I was?" The simplest answer (other than Ctrl-Z) is to apply a material preset or pz2 file that sets it back to some simple shader like Daz Studio Default. From the Surfaces tab, you can change the materials used, but I don't think you can change the shader directly. That's why applying a saved MAT pose, or shader preset will take you back to a simpler shader. Then you discover that Ctrl-double click on the shader trick. :-) Once I tweak something the way I like it, I always save a MAT pose in dsa format as a starting point for future fiddling.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    To learn about the Shader Mixer, I would suggest looking at the forum archive here - List of Shader mixer tutorials and recipes

Unfortunately, all the links to Artzone are dead. Some good stuff in there, still.
    edited December 1969

Ok,

I am going to go through Pendraia's link and trying to find the dead links and weed them out and port over some of the info from that thread.

If anyone can help me do that, I would appreciate it!

Please do me a favor and test the links when you have a moment and let me know what does and does not work.

Thanks for all your help!

edited December 1969

Pendraia wrote:

"Shader Mixer and Shader Builder are now consistent (by default) in that the brick/block network flows from left to right, like a[n English] book is read. From start (the input - either user or programmatic) to finish (the final output or the "root"). If you prefer the flow of the network to be in the opposite direction, where the roots/outputs are on the left and all of the inputs flow in from the right, you can change the default for any new shaders in Edit > General Preferences. Each shader can be changed separately in Edit > Shader Preferences. "

Carnite's Tutorial on Shaders at Youtube

Beginner's Introduction to Shader Mixer

Shader Mixer - Catching Shadows Part 1

DAZ Shader Tutorials

DAZ 3D - Shader Mixer Part 1

DAZ 3D - Shader Mixer Part 2

DAZ 3D - DAZ Studio Advanced Rendering Part 1

DAZ 3D - DAZ Studio Advanced Rendering Part 2

omnifreaker's Tutorials on Youtube

UberSurface2 Introduction Tutorial

UberSurface2 Layering Tutorial

Okay, here's the first batch!

edited September 2012

Fun with Area lights (UberArea lights) in DS3

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=1882813#1882813]Recipe for aaPoint Light in Shader Mixer

You guys? Please let me know when I post something that has outdated or useless info. I would appreciate it.

edited December 1969

You may want to have a look here - http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=134854

It was the master list of DS tutorials for DS3 and older. Most of the info should be relevant still

edited December 1969

Thanks, MattyManx!

I did it once more.
    Rhymes here galore!

edited December 1969

There should not be that much out of date if any really. In DS4, features may have been renamed or things moved and new things added but 99% of the over all functions have remianed the same (from my observation anyways)

edited December 1969

Thank you again!

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited December 1969

At this time UberArea lights are not working in DS4.5, they have supposedly fixed it in the next build.

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    I want to know how to create a shader like the LIE series that applies additional texture overlays to any character skinshader you have loaded and leaving the original shader setting in place. I know how to do multi layer editing, but I want a shader instead of manually doing it.

I think: Yes. Compose layers with DS Default Material (or brick with skinshader's parameters) using mix function. Some layers must be Image bricks with transparencies, another with Image you want add matching with transparencies. When you save your shader as preset you can decide which parameters/layers to include. If you apply a shader preset with partial parameters saved over a shader with complete parameters (or matching parameters) only partial parameters are override.