Dracorn's Render Thread

Comments

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Yeah, I think I picked that bundle up, too.  I haven't actually tried anything I picked up in that sale yet.  I know a few were having problems with missing textures and stuff, too.  I figure I'll have a go at everything I got over the weekend and see what they managed to get fixed this week.  I already had a few items in the sale, but, so far, they haven't transferred over into my product library yet.  I'm hoping that gets settled by the weekend, too.

I've kind of just been watching and seeing what type of problems others are having and how they get around them.  Thanks for posting your fix.  It will come in handy, I'm sure, especially, if it takes awhile before they manage a fix in the files.

I have experience with Dragonbraid, Dragon Corona and Dragonkeeper Hair, so let me know if you run into trouble.
    Arki responded to my question about the Lithiai Strigoia wings and the other demon wings (starts with a Q but don't ask me how to spell it) - she said she will eventually rig them to work in Daz Studio, so we should be patient. Her faerie wings and the Malaik wings work (hard to pose though).
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I did get the whole DragonKeeper bundle.  I haven't opened it yet.  I'll let you know if I run into anything I can't figure out.  Thanks.

I have a ticket open for that one, too - it's missing items. They said the fix is coming tomorrow.
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited July 2016

I think I picked up the free hair... oh nope that was the sea kelpie hair

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited August 2016

Winter Queen

I have a Faerie Queen who's appearance changes with each season and I wanted something very unusual.  I have already made a render of Winter Queen, and used the Dragon Corona Hair because I love the crown.

I used the trees from Winterland as these are the best-looking snow clad trees I have seen.  The ground is actually from the Graveyard, but I covered it in DA's Let it Snow.

The gown is Eowyn with materials replaced from Ye Olde Cloth and Lacemaker. 

Rendered in 3Delight.  It's a render I did last year, but I reposted this because I wanted to show the new Summer version.

Winter Queen II 2500.jpg
    2500 x 1667 - 3M
    Post edited by dracorn on
    edited August 2016

Summer Queen

I was inspired to do the summer version because of Melidae Crown.  I grabbed that one up right away.  I had in my mind a crown of butterflies with fresh fruit.  The crown was perfect!  I made some additions of the grapes and more leaves, as the bare branches were more spring like to me.  The leaves came from Nature's Variance.  I created leaf clusters and saved them as scene subsets, and placed them here and around.

The background image came from a set called Distant Realms.  The extra butterflies are from the Ultimate Butterfly Collection.  The little glowing will'o'the wisps in the background are colored spheres using Shader Builder's Glow feature.

There is a little too much orange in the face that I'm not particularly happy with, but other than that, I am pleased with this portrait.  I posted it in the August New User's Contest to see what people thought of it there.  Too bad the crown came out after the contest was over, oh well.

I'm thinking about using the Melidae Crown to redo the winter version as well, but at this point, I want to think about Spring and Autumn.

Rendered in 3Delight

Summer Queen 1000.jpg
    1000 x 1400 - 1M

Wow they are both just gorgeous!  I do love that crown but I  can't justify it right this moment.  I really want it just because its so awesome and far more versatile that it looked from the first photo in the promo's.  However, until I can come up with more than one or two reasons to use it I just can't buy.  But I really really want to lol. 

It looks totally awesome on your girl.

Both beautiful images!  I love that crown, too, so unlike anything else in the store.  Unfortunately, it had to go in the wishlist for me, too.

Believe me, LOTS of stuff goes on my wish list, too. Mine is over 400 items! I need to clean house. The crown was one of those items I had to have right away (Advanced Instancing too). But alas, my budget is tapped out and there's a sale at Rendo for items in my wishlist, woe is me...
    edited August 2016

Here is a reboot of an old portrait of mine.  I added some lighting and a custom background I created in Photoshop.

Joylinda Portrait 04.jpg
    998 x 1248 - 533K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Love the concept of a Faerie Queen that changes with the seasons.  Looking forward to seeing Spring and Fall.

dracorn said:

Here is a reboot of an old portrait of mine.  I added some lighting and a custom background I created in Photoshop.

She's gorgeous and I love the background!

edited August 2016
    dracorn said:

She's gorgeous and I love the background!

Thanks!  Genesis can still look great.  No need to ditch all those old characters just because they aren't Genesis 3. She's wearing V4 Shadowcaster.  It makes a very nice catsuit after the laborious effort to fit it.  Still, the great thing about V4/M4 clothes are the numerous fitting morphs.  Some of the G1 items had a standard fit and no morphs.  If something didn't fit, you were out of luck... until Zevo's Fit Control came along.  Zevo ROCKS!

The background was as easy as pie.  In fact, I just uploaded it plus two more to the free portrait background thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/94696/free-portrait-backgrounds-collection-post-them-here/p5

edited August 2016

I've been playing around with my Photoshop brushes, so here's the Winter Queen with snow.  Adds that nice final touch, doesn't it?

Winter Queen II 1875 PS.jpg
    1875 x 1250 - 2M

Your Winter Queen image is beautiful!  I love the postwork with the snow.

The snow definitely finishes it off.  I hop between generations all the time, I see no reason to not use perfectly good characters and clothing just because something new has come along.

Thanks Knittingmommy and Ice Dragon - I figured I would seriously start playing around with Photoshop. 

Seems like the best pictures have some sort of camera softness/atmospheric effect and post work.  I have picked up lots of brushes so it's about time I learned how to use them. 

I did a lot of work before I bought my new computer, so I am revisiting some of those old scenes and updating them as well as adding in some backgrounds/postwork.  It's practice really.  I've come a long way since I had such a lame computer that I had to do a face shot and have no clothes below the waist because my poor 'ole PC kept crashing. 

edited August 2016

Evil Faerie Throne

I took the Glacier Queen Throne and did some retexturing.

• Destiny's Garden rough stone shader, then loaded a jpg from Funky Old Patina merchant resource, and set the tiling to 10.
    • DLD Stone Shaders, Ebony Mint for the black marble.
    • Leatherize, worn leather for the seats.
    • Dimensional Theory's Shades of Life Bark Booster for the tree, with the full projection shader.  It looks better up close than from a distance.
    • Custom background it did in Photoshop.
    • 3Delight Render with AoA's Advanced Ambient Light only.

Too often, evil thrones and other objects have skull motifs that are just too big for my taste.  I really like this throne.  Maybe I should hang a spider from it. 

Lander's Throne Final 02.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 789K
    Lander's Throne Final 01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

What a great job on the retexturing of that throne Dracorn!!!

Thanks, Saphirewild. I'm thinking about adding some dirt sharers to make it look old.

Ugh! Ever try to answer a forum with a smartphone? The "smart" text replacement drives me crazy. If I wasn't paying attention, it would have said "diet sharers". That would have been a new one for the PA's, eh?

edited August 2016

Here's my render of the Hivewire Big Cat and her cubs.

Jungle Afternoon.jpg
    1200 x 923 - 1M

Love the one cub pouncing on the other!  Great background as well.  They are so cute! 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Awwww so cute and so loving this render is!!! So love the pouncing onto the other cubs as well!!!

Love the one cub pouncing on the other!  Great background as well.  They are so cute! 

Those are the standard cub poses with slight adjustment.

I used the ground base from Tropical pond, and the plants are from:

• Tropical Pond
    • Bamboo Megapack
    • RDNA Mushrooms.  Needed some adjustment to the Poser Materials.
    • Nature, Plants Pack 1
    • The tree is Fictus Retusa from Rendo, with Shades of Life Bark Booster.

I struggled with the lighting on this one, as the colors aren't as vibrant as I would like.  Sometimes you have to say, 'enough!' and move on.

Hmmm am going to have to check out the bamboo pack, and I think I have the tropical pond but will have to look. 

I know what you mean about enough too! 

Hmmm am going to have to check out the bamboo pack, and I think I have the tropical pond but will have to look. 

I know what you mean about enough too! 

The Bamboo Megapack is really nice.  It gives you bush and tree clusters, plus materials to change leaf, branch and step colors, including tiling.  There are LOTS of options.

I collect plants whenever I can, sorta like shaders.  There are some fabulous trees and other plants over at Rendo with great fall color options. 

Here are my favorite plant packs (from DAZ)

Grapevines.  The grape bunches are in 3 material zones, so you can play with the colors.  http://www.daz3d.com/grapevines

G3D-DA Grass and Plant Pack.  http://www.daz3d.com/g3d-da-grass-and-plant-pack

Grass Shader for DAZ Studio.  http://www.daz3d.com/grass-shader-for-daz-studio

Nature - Plants Pack 1.  http://www.daz3d.com/nature-plants-pack-1

Nature's Variance - Shaders And Props for DAZ Studio.  This one is really cool.  There are 4 material zones for the leaves on each tree/bush, so you can create the in-between summer and fall look.  https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_19010

RDNA Fungi.  This is a really nice package of non-mushroom fungi.  These are Poser materials so you need to add 3Delight or Iray Uberbase.  http://www.daz3d.com/rdna-fungi

RDNA Mushroomz.  This is a morphing mushroom, so you get many shapes and a nice selection of colors, and more with the expansion pack.  http://www.daz3d.com/rdna-mushroomz     ; http://www.daz3d.com/rdna-mushroomz-texture-expansion-1

Flowers are harder to find and are usually expensive.  I've picked up some here at Daz, and have my eye on some over at Hivewire, but like I said... expensive. 

Winterland Bundle.  These are the best-looking winter trees (snow covered conifers).  http://www.daz3d.com/winterland ;

DA Palm Island.  http://www.daz3d.com/da-palm-island

Pred Pack - Palm Trees.  http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-palm-trees

Dark Trees Pack 1.  I have used these as silhouettes over sunset sky to be seen through windows.  http://www.daz3d.com/dark-trees-pack-1

I also picked up lots of plant packages that came over from Runtime. 

I do have about a third of those, but I have other ones that you don't have.  I will get together a list if you like.  Have you tried the RDNA's flower packs?  He has some gorgeous ones and they aren't super expensive.  I have his mushrooms and fungi and I love DA Palm Island.  I have a tendency when I categorize to put things in multiple categories (for instance, I have DA Palm Island under buildings and scenes/tropical but I also have the all of the plants from that under a separate Plants category so I can kit bash easily.

Yeah, let me see your list, especially the flowers. 

I multi-categorize as well.  What I hate is when I create a category, and then go to open it and nothing is in it.  Grrrr...

edited September 2016

Head to Head

A comparison of the Hivewire Big Cat (on the left) and the DAZ Big Cat.  Simple background, simple lighting, rendered in 3Delight.  Open the thumb for more detail.

And the cub.  He's too cute.

Head to Head 2.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 458K
    HW Big Cat Cub.jpg
    800 x 800 - 324K