What is Daz Connect?

UHFUHF Posts: 512

I see this, but I have no idea what it does or how it works.

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-connect

My concern is that I manually install and adjust all installation directories for all my content.  I find Daz's sorting unworkable at the best of times.  How are directory resorts managed by Daz Connect?  Is there a configuration script somewhere I need to set up?  After I adjust all the directories how are future updates be handled?  Does Daz Connect track and manage all that? (It would be an actual time saver if it did.)

I test install all content as well.  This is because Daz frequently doesn't test the content they actually ship, and after an ardious rearrangement of directories in my live database it just gets messy.

Comments

• UHF said:

I test install all content as well.  This is because Daz frequently doesn't test the content they actually ship, and after an ardious rearrangement of directories in my live database it just gets messy.

As a full time content creator for the Daz marketplace, I can tell you from first hand and very painful experience this statement is flat out untrue. :)

They test it. They make sure we fix it. They test it again.. and they'll absolutely let us know when its done right because payment doesn't come in until it is. Sometimes things get by that aren't what was intended. Its true. We're all human. The testing process is very much there, though.

I'll leave the connect stuff up to the FAQ to explain. Just wanted to clarify that part of the question. 

Have a good one!

• Daz connect is content purchase, install, and upgrade all inside daz studio with Digital Rights Management encryption built in. For new users this is great because they don't have to know how to install things and they don't have to know how to use DIM, or how to install from zip. Everything is done for you, but you have to deal with encryption. This is about protecting Daz intelectual property. They have every right to do what they want with their own property. If you don't like it, don't buy it or use it.

• I like the DAZ Install Manager for the most part, BUT...it does have it's problems. First, when you have a lot of DAZ content and I mean, several gigs of it, I've been forced to install the content to a send, much larger hard dirve. Unfortunately, configuring the current version isn't that easy and, I've discovered it's behind the times, when it comes to some of the other software applications; titles, versions available and the bit versions as well. The current version of the instaler also does not have a filter, where you can sort by dependencies, so you can pick and chose the needed items first; such as the software. Then, despite having set all the install paths in the Install Manager, I still discovered DAZ Studio didn't have the correct path set in the Smart Content Library, so when i tried to use it nothing worked, until I corrected it in the software settings myself.

I recently purchased a new faster computer for my 3D Art and photo editing stuff, because the older computer I was using for it simply ran out of hard drive space. However, the new computers these days are coming with a SSD drive for the OS and some software, but they're still not that big, compared to the old tech hard drives installed as second drive and are much larger.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I like the DAZ Install Manager for the most part, BUT...it does have it's problems. First, when you have a lot of DAZ content and I mean, several gigs of it, I've been forced to install the content to a send, much larger hard dirve. Unfortunately, configuring the current version isn't that easy and, I've discovered it's behind the times, when it comes to some of the other software applications; titles, versions available and the bit versions as well. The current version of the instaler also does not have a filter, where you can sort by dependencies, so you can pick and chose the needed items first; such as the software. Then, despite having set all the install paths in the Install Manager, I still discovered DAZ Studio didn't have the correct path set in the Smart Content Library, so when i tried to use it nothing worked, until I corrected it in the software settings myself.

1: to change the install location to a second drive, click the gear in the upper right corner, click the Installation tab, click the + sign in the lower left to add a path, then switch the Current Path to your new path.  You should also click the Downloads tab and change the download location.

2: the default filters include filters for software, plugins, and content; if you uncheck "install after download", and select items to install, DIM will install software first, then plugins, then content

3: DIM does not tamper with your settings in DS (or any other application), although there are sample scripts in the documentation to copy the content paths from DIM to DS or from DS to DIM if you don't want to do it manually.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

We are going to close a few threads and point you to http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65509/daz-connect-faq/p1 andhttp://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/69752/no-encrypted-for-me#latest in the interest of keeping the mods and Daz staff sane by having one or two places to look and respond.  Please not that the Daz Staff have been doing their best to address your concerns. 

This discussion has been closed.