Creating Sci-fi props and items, is Hexagon the way to go?

Hi. I've been using daz studio pro for about a year now and learned pretty much from 0 about 3D(not 3D modelling,yet) to where i am now. I would say my skills are pretty average though but improving a lot with Daz Studio. I have always been interested in 3D to create props and items(such as sci-fi guns, futuristic walls etc..)modelling but never seem to get started.  My area of interest is sci-fi universe. If i am to learn basic modelling to create basic sci-fi props and items, can it be done in Hexagon? Or should i go with Blender or other 3D software? I am totally new to 3D modelling. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you guys

Comments

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473

Hex can just about build any sci-fi item you need. ;)

WM5.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 451K
    R02_Promo07.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 519K
    LG06_popup01.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 575K
    DCPromo7.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 176K
    Cai4.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 281K
  • videoninja719videoninja719 Posts: 343
    edited January 2016

thanks. What about texturing them and making blue glowing sci-fi lights that i saw in blender in here

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/2057-Designing-and-Modeling-a-Sci-Fi-Prop-in-Blender

Post edited by videoninja719 on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

You can make any shape you need to in Hexagon - modeling basics are the pretty much the same in all applications, although some have different tools.  The workflow between how things are modelled in Hexagon and Blender will be very different because Blender has many more automated, short-cut methods than Hexagon.

The blue glowing light will have to wait until you get your model into a renderer, because that is a render effect.

• Sky HndxSky Hndx Posts: 142

My amateur Hexagon skills are on again off again but I did manage to make this little test clip.  Everything, including the star field, was made in Hexagon.  The glowing light effects and stars are simple planes and a tube with transparencies applied to them and the ambient color set high in DS.  I've even managed to make an HEV suit and medkit from Half Life 2 in Hexagon.   Once you get the hang of it, especially the UV mapping, you may find it fairly easy to use.  Its all I use and I'm very comfortable with it. 

• Very nice indeed Sky Hndx

• those are really nice

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

DzFire, did you model all of those in Hexagon?