It's just too bad . . .

124»

Comments

• cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Poser users have a legitimate complaint about lack of new products they can use, at least when it comes to clothing and to a lesser extent characters. There may be something coming that will go at least some way towards ameliorating that situation (though it should be noted that BFurner's post used neither "soon" nor "game changing").

People do not need to justify their choice of application - if people want to use Poser, or an older version of DAZ Studio, that is nobody's call but their own (system specs permitting, of course).

Richard, I just wanted thank you for acknowledging that Poser users do have a legitimate complaint. I remember any other Admin/Moderator saying this before now. Some may have and I missed it, but this is the first time I've seen it, so again, Thank you!

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited September 2012

ssgbryan said:

I wouldn't be happy with a V5 and a M5 - that is missing my concerns - purpose build meshes or "one size fits all".

Let me take a few minutes to explain why.

What does a separate V5 & M5 have that V4 & M4 doesn't? Nothing from my perspective. A whole cottage industry sprung up making products to correct the problems with the V4 & M4 meshes. The weight mapping capabilities of Poser 9/2012 addressed the last remaining issues, in my opinion.

Unfortunately this whole post is very female-centric. The fact that M5 can easily grab female items (and if you want to throw it to zbrush or hexagon to make a quick morph to pull up the waist you can quickly do it) and mix both together both figures to produce more female or male features is the big features. Weightmapping is not the important feature, morphs are... weightmapping is used to support the morphs and scaling you can use with Genesis.

The clothing content issue has been resolved on the Poser side by using Wardrobe Wizard or Xdresser for the base mesh and then the Morphing Clothes script to put any morphs the character needs, so the doesn't have any clothing issue is addressed. Not perfectly mind you, but I get a 90% solution, and as a hobbyist, that is good enough.

If you're converting female to female, you may get decent results, but female to male gets horrible results. I tried crossdresser and wardrobe wizard to convert the v4 bodysuit to male to get the surfing textures for m4 and the result was horrible because of the hip placement and crunched breast area. Genesis converted it perfectly. Converting other female items produced the similar horrible results and converting gen3 to gen4 gave me split meshes in the crotch area so I never had useful results. Autofit results from the Gen3 clothing was good enough to make promos from.

What I want is Gen 5 versions of all of the Gen 3 figures. I want a full range of figures. I am most certainly not interested in the "Logan's Run" world that DAZ appears to have embraced as far as figure development goes.

They've been made and can use their clothing as well.

The monster making capability in genesis is interesting, but if I need a monster, I'll get a purpose designed one. Not to mention the fact that while being able to add an extra pair of arms to a character is neat - I would be a lot more impressed if someone got a shirt on them.

Like it's been said before, unless the monster has morph dials to change the look (or injection channels), you're stuck with clones of the same monster. And if you need a female version or even an younger version, you'll be hard pressed to get one.

As far as the "slew of new clothing", it simply doesn't exist. In the year that genesis has been out on the market, I have seen exactly ONE original outfit (the short order cook - that is neat) that made me think about getting the genesis plug-in for Wardrobe Wizard.

LOL, there's been more than that, like the renaissance outfit, supersuit, doctors scrubs and Luthebel's asian-inspired outfits just to name a few. Then let's not forget Mec4D's Sari for the male and females that just came out last week. And the benefit is that males and females can use it; Gen4 would have been for just the female or male and then people would have to beg the vendor to make additional versions.

The only place you can get more than a few outfits for genesis is DAZ. Almost all of the clothing for genesis at 'Rosity is made by 1 vendor, and genesis support is practically non-existent at every other storefront.

Actually there are several that have made genesis clothing on rendo. However look again on rendo, possibly 10 vendors make most of the V4 clothing there... and that's because they're simple pieces like bras, panties, pants and mini skirts.

For the price of a couple of outfits, I can convert any piece of clothing from 1 figure to any other figure - which has fairly ominous implications for clothing content vendors. Once I get a good outfit - say a male business suit - the next business suit has to be miles better than the first one for me to justify purchasing it.

Once again, crossdresser and wardrobe wizard conversion for males are simply horrible and unusable in renders.

The clothing vendors that are still here at DAZ for the most part are only interested in making impractical armor, skankwear or fantasy clothing. And they aren't taking requests, unless it is something that they are already interested in.

Look up again at the list I provided. Is there a V4 version of the sari? But then again, those items that you listed are what sells, so can't fault the vendor for making what earns cash for them.

It is all a moot point anyway. For DAZ to release a stand alone V5 & M5, they have to be willing to stand up and say that they misjudged the market. I don't believe their corporate ego will allow that based on how DAZ has been run since the merger.

There's no need to create a standalone M5 and V5 because genesis is a system and they're based on that. Support needs to go for the system and I believe that's what DSON is for.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

^That second shot is misleading because the female is NOT wearing the same shirt as the males.

This discussion has been closed.