Why do I need Bryce?

It is currently o ly $3.99 which is hard to pass on, but what will it do for me that is better than Daz Studio or Blender?

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,117
    edited May 26

It all depends on you and the type of art you do. I only use Bryce for my Artwork, I don't use Blender, Daz Studio, Poser or any other 3D program.

Visit my Pinterest account linked in my siggy... My Bryce Boards and have a look how I use Bryce.smileywink

Hoping it will help you to buy Bryce.

eta: I have different boards for David and Horo's products and many products are on sale presently.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,243

denisgray41 - Bryce is a very versatile 3D tool, though it also has some limitations, particularly for doing characters it is not the best choice. But for environments, natural and strange space scenes, architecture, objects of any sort and abstracts it is excellent. It has two different real raytracers (not path tracers) built in and works on a CPU (up to 8 cores), no need to purchase an expensive new GPU every second year. Raytracers produce more natural results but also need a lot more time to render a scene than a path tracer.
    A limitation is also that it is still a 32-bit (2 GB) application and even with the LAA (Large Address Aware) tool, you are limited to about 3.4 GB. On the other hand, there is hardly any need to apply huge 4k picture materials because materials and textures, terrains, vegetation, skies, ..., can all be created with in-built tools.
    Bryce is easy to get some impressive results but has many options that may keep you learning for a long time. Give it a try, it's cheap enough at the moment.

• Past as FuturePast as Future Posts: 146

You can somehow create HDRi from it, if im not mistaken.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,793

I do have DAZ Studio, but started my 3D work with Bryce and still use Bryce as the only tool for rendering. I never quite got to learning how to render in DAZ Studio. If you want to create photorealistic renders of people, the kind of renders mostly in the gallery, Bryce is not the a good choice. But if you are into landscapes with some buildings, animals etc. and are willing to play around with textures, skies, HDRI and all those things, Bryce is very useful. Mind you, it is a bit crash-prone, so careful waiting until an action is finished is necessary. So, while other tools are probably better for professional 3D work, Bryce is there to have a lot of fun and play around. Also, the user interface is probably one of the best for user friendliness and intuitive working.

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,329

I used to love Bryce, not used it in forever though, seeing it being promoted with Ultrascenery 2 suggests I should reinstall it, does the Bryce/Daz bridge still work?

Will definitely have to go over David's beginner tutorials again.

Hello everyone, it's been too long since my last visit here.

Best wishes.

Hi IanTP. The Bryce/Daz bridge does no longer work, unfortunately, probably because the Bryce version is old and DAZ Studio has been updated many times. You can export to mesh and import meshes into DAZ Studio, though.

Hansmar said:

Hi IanTP. The Bryce/Daz bridge does no longer work, unfortunately, probably because the Bryce version is old and DAZ Studio has been updated many times. You can export to mesh and import meshes into DAZ Studio, though.

Many thanks for the comment. 

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,243

Welcome back IanTP. I hope to see your efforts soon (not Daz-soon).

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,928

IanTP, put a quick shiny sphere image into the Easy Peasey challenge for a chance to win $5.

Horo said:

Welcome back IanTP. I hope to see your efforts soon (not Daz-soon).

Definitely not Daz soon :)  

• Past as FuturePast as Future Posts: 146
    edited June 7

Hansmar said:

Which version of DAZ Studio you are using?

In my case it's 4.15 beta (installed it some years ago), and Bridge works. With one nuance though... You must launch Bryce first, then make a cube (or another primitive), send that to DAZ Studio via bridge option (which will automatically launch D|S in process), after that you can delete cube in both applications. And only after you've done such, sending objects from DAZ via bridge option works again.

Post edited by Past as Future on

Past as Future, Thanks for this info. I have a much newer version. The bridge used to work with an older version for me too.