Games People Play

AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,377

Games People Play

I know there are gamers here, so post the games you played, and if you have Videos, post them.

I have played Video games since the Artri games, Commodore 64 and Tandy. I got into all the arcades as a kid when Malls were actually cool.The gamer in me is still alive,

I have been playing Spiderman 2 and it's really a beautiful game. It's kind of addictive.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,653

I have a ton of games, but mostly only play in Virtual Reality now. I got hooked with the Nintendo 64 and started modding games when I got my first PC. Since then i have modded many games, both free and commercially and worked for two game studios. The only flat screen games I still have installed and I play are Hunter : call of the wild, Fishing Planet, RDR2, and GTA.

I have most major VR games and regularly play Blade and Sorcery, No mans Sky, MS Flight Simulator and DCS. I also spend too much time in VAM, a VR sandbox game based on Unity that uses lifesize DAZ figures that you can  customize, pose and animate in real time with your hands

Not a fan of consoles though, hate the controllers

Sorry, no videos. I don't do twitch or YT, so don't see the point of filming gameplay.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,377

FSMCDesigns said:

Fishing Planet,

Not a fan of consoles though, hate the controllers

It made me go check out Fishing Planet. I have FarCry 5, and you can fish in it, and it's not that easy to land the big fish.

The controllers on consoles are more complex than those on mice and Keyboards, and there are not enough buttons to customize them. I think Blizzard tried to allow cross-platform play, but console users complained. Keyboard and Mouse dominated that landscape. Some games will allow cross-platform gaming.

I've done a lot of modding, though I never worked for a studio.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,569
    edited May 23

I love Open World Games. Flexible on the genre cause its the exploration and the over arching storyline that makes it interesting.

Examples:   The Division,  Skyrim,  Red Dead Redemption,  FarCry 3,4,5,6,  State of Decay, ElderScrolls ESO,  Dying Light,

Most of the above were played on PC with mouse and keyboard,  but also played GTA 3, 4, 5  and Spiderman on PS.  You can literally spend hours just webslinging through New York it is so Liberating,  or racing through Liberty City.  And cant forget WatchDogs weaving through the streets of Chicago and jumping bridges.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,189

Back when I occasionally played games (Daggerfall in the 1990s was the latest) I liked open games also. I had no interest in the storyline, I just wanted to wander through the world doing my thing.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,411

Tears of the Kingdom currently. I'm a pretty old-school gamer; I like side-scrolling action games, and consider Battletoads on the NES the pinnacle of game design.

• I enjoy watching while others play, especially the open world games. Before the kids left home I loved to watch my son play things like Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda series or either him or my daughter playing some of the Fire Emblem games.

edited May 24

FirstBastion said:

I love Open World Games. Flexible on the genre cause its the exploration and the over arching storyline that makes it interesting.

Examples:   The Division,  Skyrim,  Red Dead Redemption,  FarCry 3,4,5,6,  State of Decay, ElderScrolls ESO,  Dying Light,

Most of the above were played on PC with mouse and keyboard,  but also played GTA 3, 4, 5  and Spiderman on PS.  You can literally spend hours just webslinging through New York it is so Liberating,  or racing through Liberty City.  And cant forget WatchDogs weaving through the streets of Chicago and jumping bridges.

I only found one unplayable area in Spider-Man 2. Zippin' around is fun. Did you use a wheel for GTA? I use the keyboard with two fingers in racing games. Carmagadgon got me used to that play style. I haven't played race games on the platforms, so I don't think I could race that way. 

I love all of the space-themed games, such as Freelancer, Descent 3D, and One, Two, and Three.

I have been waiting on this one for years. The early release is looking good. At a Lan party with 32 ships flying around, it gets crazy.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,707

...last one I enjoyed was Gran Turismo on the original Play Station (OK that dates me)   Soured on console video games after trying Halo (XBox) as my character couldn't get more than 10 - 20 steps from the dropship before being "dropped".

Still have good memories of the classics like Doom, Duke Nukem, and Civ III as well as the old arcade games form the 80s to early 90s. 

Always been more into tabletop P&P Role Play games like Shadowrun (5e)  and D&D (any version save 4e).

kyoto kid said:

Soured on console video games after trying Halo (XBox) as my character couldn't get more than 10 - 20 steps from the dropship before being "dropped".

Still have good memories of the classics like Doom, Duke Nukem, and Civ III as well as the old arcade games form the 80s to early 90s. 

I have every one of the Halo games. The first one was on Xbox, and the rest are computers. With the remakes of the Halo Master Chief Collection, you have to die to complete the first game in the collection. I fought for about fifteen minutes before I gave up.

The Doom series is another excellent collection of games. Who can forget the insults from Duke? (I'm Duke Nukem - and I'm coming to get the rest of you alien bastards! and

What are you? Some bottom-feeding, scum-sucking algae eater?)

Does anyone play stealth games like Theif, Batman: Arkham City, or Assassin’s Creed?

The strangest game I've played is Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, which has the "representations of psychosis" warning at the beginning. Whispering in your ears always, "What is she doing?" and other weird things. I get those voices in my ears without playing a game like that.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,415

Various things - mostly shooters, roleplaying games (particularly if I can mod them) and some simulators.

I haven't uploaded that much gameplay footage anywhere, but for anyone who's sufficiently bored, here's a somewhat recent playthrough of a Darktide mission - mostly posted because someone said they'd never seen anyone successfully using this kind of build.

(Worth noting that this is a somewhat modded game - the game is normally 1st person only, so the 3rd person camera I'm using much of the time is a mod).

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,927

Right now I'm playing The Show 2020 and trying to win the penant with the Cubs. After this, I'll probably start Red Dead Redemption 2 since I bought that on Black Friday at Game Stop and haven't started it yet. I prefer sports and first person shooter games, and occasionally I'll do an open world action game. Uncharted was fun, I got the trilogy set during the lockdowns for free when Sony gave it to everyone. I'm also going back and forth playing the Ninja Turtles collection I got with all of the old arcade and nintendo games, the Castlevania collection (I'm on the last castle of the first Castlevania game and I just can't beat it!), and the Disney collection like Ducktales and such. I used to love RPGs like Final Fantasy 2, 3, Chrono Trigger and such, but I just don't have the time to invest in those anymore. Plus I stopped paying attention to Final Fantasy when it went to being online. I have zero interest in playing online. I get like maybe thirty to forty-five minutes a day, I just want to zone out on my own. 

• When the pandemic hit, Red Dead Redemption 2 and after that Red Dead Online with a couple good crews on Discord were both my visual escapism and my social life during lockdown. Add RedM to that, online role-playing servers using the RDR2 story mode as its framework, and I have around 2500 hours riding and running around that map, almost exclusively with friends.

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 880

Last year it was Cyberpunk 2077 and Baldurs Gate 3. Now it's Warhammer Rogue Trader. I love the resident Dark Eldar companion. He's such a shameless degenerate.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,411

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

I enjoy watching while others play, especially the open world games. Before the kids left home I loved to watch my son play things like Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda series or either him or my daughter playing some of the Fire Emblem games.

My birthday gift for my wife this year is me playing Tears of the Kingdom, a game I wanted to play anyway.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,661
    edited May 24

Been gaming since Space Invaders was an arcade game. Home-wise we had the BBC Micro B (such classics as Joust and Chuckie Egg), then the Amiga 500 (Amiga Forever!!!!) (with fave games like Speedball 2, Frontier: Elite II, and Eye of the Beholder), a mate had the Atari ST so was covered there. Later got the original Playstation (Tomb Raider, Wipeout 2097, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, Gran Turismo, Worms), Playstation 2 (GTA Vice City + San Andreas, Dark Alliance, FF X, various sports games), House-mate had the SNES + N64 (Goldeneye, Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart, etc)  but then PS3 was too expensive - lucky me as I went to PC gaming and discovered gog with all the classic RPGs (Baldur's Gate series, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 1+2) and later things like Pillars of Eternity, Cyberpunk 2077, Baldur's Gate 3, etc etc.

I play all kinds of games (and way more than I've mentioned here) but mostly the RPGs. Looking forward to the eventual release of Wayward Realms (been in development for a few years but Kickstarter coming up soon with the aim of getting a playable beta ready) as it looks like it'll have some interesting mechanics and gameplay.

No vids I'm afraid. Maybe one day I'll Twitch/YT something but I spend too much time in character creation, or trying things the devs didn't think of, for it to be an interesting watch.

p.s. Also had the original Gameboy (and then Gameboy Color) for Tetris, Super Mario Land, and Pokemon (Red/Blue/Yellow)

Post edited by Silent Winter on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,241

Sinclair ZX Spectrum (AKA Timex 2000): MinedOut, Ant Attack and Manic Miner.

Android Tablet (with Spectrum Emulator): MinedOut, Ant Attack and Manic Miner.

PC: Minesweeper. Hover (From Win 3.1, or was it Win95?)

As you can tell, I'm not a massive gamer.

Regards,

Richard

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,707

...about the only new game (actually a sim) would be the new MS flight simulator.  However I would need to make a serious system upgrade to have horsepower it requires as well as a curved wide-screen display and actual flight deck interface for proper experience as well as a connection faster than 200mbps.for smooth "glitch free" operation.

Basically, I need to hit a lotto for this.

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,095
    I enjoy games like Dark Souls, Nioh, and Code Vein, but that genre isn't for everyone. For a more general recommendation, I'd say:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

It's a spiritual successor to Castlevania. Crowdfunded ($5.5 million). One of the few games I'd rate 10/10 - it's very good.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,746

Played a lot some 15 to 30 years ago, but when the fighting and killing became the main activity, finding good adventures has become very difficult.

Liked Sierra games, Monkey Island, Fallout 1-3, Elder Scrolls and have bought RDR2 but not yet installed (something for the summer vacation)

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,299
    edited May 24

I'm not a big gamer.  I was there, at the beginning, in the "BG" (Before Games) era.  But I played blackjack with a computer via a teletype in 1965, programmed via paper tape, while on the campus of Syracuse University, in NY State  I was invited there for a week at a special educational opportunity series of lectures & demos in the summer between my Junior & senior years of High School.   

A friend of mine in college around 1971 wanted me to join him in creating games for computer.  I declined, saying unfamously "There's no future for games on computerscheeky."blush  He went on to find some modicum of success in the field for a while with his brand, "Scott Adams Games".  Then the Japanese took over the field.

I don't do action games.  No "shoot-em-up, "kill-the-bastards", games for me, no "avoid the cartoon monster" games, no "run & grab all the treasure" games either, I found one genre that suited me, "Adventure" games.  Specifically Myst and the entire Myst series.  Thinking men's games.smiley  I go to the games to relax, not sweat.  My favorite games?  "Riven" and "Obduction"heart  And nobody dies in Myst games, except near the end if you haven't heeded the warnings given throughout the game.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • DripDrip Posts: 1,153

Been gaming since the C64 (River Raid, Aztec Challenge, all that stuff), then the Amiga 500 (Shadow of the Beast, Elite/Frontier, Dune 1 and 2, Bards Tale), after that the PC for lots and lots of games, mostly strategy/simulation (Command and Conquer style) and RPG/Exploration (Elder Scrolls eversince Daggerfal, Fallout, and especially the Mass Effect trilogy). I've modded all of those RPG's, but after a while usually get annoyed with how complex modding can get, with mods conflicting or requiring specific load orders. And whenever there was an update to the game, I'd have to update many of those mods (though they weren't always updated, meaning they might become useless clutter instead, possibly breaking other mods in the process) and doublecheck their load order again. So, after a while, I usually get tired, and simply quit playing. It's too bad, because I really like those games, especially modded, but it just gets too frustrating.

edited May 24

A lot of great names are being dropped. It's been a long time since I played Joust. I have all the Tomb Raiders. Fallout is an excellent series of games, as is the Myst series. Mass Effect is another great game.

My wife just bought Stray. It's no fighting game; you can run, walk, or do any other Kitty thing and figure out puzzles as you go.

The Odyssey console was the first look at games for home use, and only the rich kids had these, which fizzled quickly. But pong carried on to Atari.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

kyoto kid said:

...about the only new game (actually a sim) would be the new MS flight simulator.  However I would need to make a serious system upgrade to have horsepower it requires as well as a curved wide-screen display and actual flight deck interface for proper experience as well as a connection faster than 200mbps.for smooth "glitch free" operation.

Basically, I need to hit a lotto for this.

With the Microsoft Flight Sim, you can count hours of training. Many flight schools have incorporated Microsoft Flight Simulator into their training programs to supplement traditional flight training. Lotto would be suitable for that.

The best stick I have used is the Sim THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG FLIGHT STICK. Bolt that sucker right to a armchair. I used pedals for a race sim for rudders.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 582
    edited May 24

I've been gaming since I was a kid in the 80s. Once I was in my early 20s, I really got into MMORPG's starting with EverQuest and then a bunch of others. I believe I even met a PA here who goes by the name Fisty in World of Warcraft before I ever saw her products here. I have played open world solo games, but they never held my attention too long. I don't play any games much these days, but when I do, it's usually No Man's Sky by Hello Games. It's a humongous, procedurally generated space exploration/survival game that can be played solo or online with other people. There's millions of star systems to find in multiple different galaxies.

The first four images are some exterior shots of one of the bases I've built on one of the planets I found. The next two are just some random screenshots I took, and the last is an older one of what my character looked like before I made a few recent changes.

The next game I'm looking forward to is another title from Hello Games that's called Light No Fire. Rather than a sci-fi space game with millions of planets, it will be an online, fantasy based survival type of game on one planet that's supposed to be about the size of earth.

20230302164210_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 509K
    20230302164339_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 493K
    20230302165436_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 589K
    20230302170337_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 551K
    20230415152242_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 377K
    20230514155306_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 173K
    20230614154139_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 309K
    Post edited by Quasar on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,159

I use to play a lot of games , assassin's creed series, Tomb raider etc.  But I found that with new technology and a bit of skill that reality has become so much more fun, :)

Flying Drones is a blast

Now that is cool.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,569

We're a gaming household, both my kids are gamers,  and when they were younger we would spend hours building and exploring Minecraft procedurally generated levels. They each have their own Steam and Epic accounts,  so we can all play multiplayer together.  There are so many excellent story driven games out there like The Last of US, THe Tomb Raider Lara Croft Series, Life is Strange, The Witcher Series to name a few.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,299

I do remember a brief period when  I was hooked on the original "Asteroids" on a commercial vector display console in a few bars or mall game rooms.yes  That was my only foray into shoot-em-up games.  And I do admit to playing a little PacMan, in the early days, which taught me that I don't do well running from cartoon monsters.  I get too hyped up and was in fear of either breaking my hand or the joystick on the game.frown.

• 80ies - now. Stuff, random. Not sure anything should catch your eye in particular :p. Perhaps for modern games, something like Inside, Stray?

For now i am checking out, once again, Fallout 4, having put aside Blood West before the first boss fight, because it doesn't have proper save mechanics :p. There is lots in the queue, a fair lot of genres. E.g. The Touryst.