how to use dforce on a cape

Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,059

I never used dforce before. I have a cape that is horizontal to the chracter's shoulders. How do I make the cape hang normally?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,373

Open up the Simulation Settings pane and click the "Simulate" button.

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,059

Gordig said:

Open up the Simulation Settings pane and click the "Simulate" button.

I did that and picked gravity but the cape remained unmoved.

What do you mean you "picked gravity"?

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,412

My question at this point would be "Is the cape actually intended for dForce?"

Matt_Castle said:

My question at this point would be "Is the cape actually intended for dForce?"

Yes, it is advertized as dforce enabled

edited May 8

Gordig said:

What do you mean you "picked gravity"?

I just want to drop the cape so it hangs normally from the shoulders but I never worked with dfroce so I really don't know what I am doing

0822.png
    1920 x 1080 - 497K
    Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,844

Have you actually clicked the blue 'Simulate' button?

And if, what happens then?

felis said:

Have you actually clicked the blue 'Simulate' button?

And if, what happens then?

A few pop up windows come up. It runs for a few minutes and when it is done, the cape is in the same position as you see in the attachment.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,731

Which cape is it?

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 826

Richard Haseltine said:

Which cape is it?

It's a dForce cape by MightyMite over at Rendo (dCape 003 MMKBG8). I have it, and it does work "out of the box", but I cannot see any of Drogo's settings to know what is going on.

edited May 8

First thing I would do is reset to default dForce settings and don't change anything except Start Bones From Memorized Pose to OFF and Frames to Simulate from Animation to Current View. Also set Stabilization to 2 or 3 (1 is not enough to get a good drape). Leave Gravity and Air Resistance in their default settings. And then hit Simulate.

dForce.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 350K
    Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
    edited May 8

ZippyGuitar said:

First thing I would do is reset to default dForce settings and don't change anything except Start Bones From Memorized Pose to OFF and Frames to Simulate from Animation to Current View. Also set Stabilization to 2 or 3 (1 is not enough to get a good drape). Leave Gravity and Air Resistance in their default settings. And then hit Simulate.

I did everything you said. It ran for a few minutes and when it was done the cape was still floating in the air. I'm probably doing something really stupid but I don't know what it is.

0823.png
    1920 x 1080 - 550K
    Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on

ZippyGuitar said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Which cape is it?

It's a dForce cape by MightyMite over at Rendo (dCape 003 MMKBG8). I have it, and it does work "out of the box", but I cannot see any of Drogo's settings to know what is going on.

I'm not saying that it doesn't work. I just don't know how to get it to work.

edited May 8
    It looks like your bodysuit is draping. Maybe try hiding the bodysuit or hide everything except the cape and figure and then test the drape. Also, can you click on the Advanced Tab in the Simulation Settings so we can see what is being used to simulate the drape? I have an Nvidia GPU and the simulation is much faster than CPU simulations.
    edited May 8

Wait, that is not the simulation window. That's calculating for simulation. But if you're trying to drape the bodysuit, I would definitely simulate the cape and bodysuit separately. Others may disagree with that. But for how I drape outfits, I prefer to do several sims instead of draping all at once. Things go much faster for me.

Also, in the Parameters Tab check to make sure the cape's Simulation is not set to Freeze Simulation.

ZippyGuitar said:

But if you're trying to drape the bodysuit, I would definitely simulate the cape and bodysuit separately. Others may disagree with that. 

Personally, I wouldn't simulate the "bodysuit" at all.

I do agree, Gordig, but I have simulated bodysuits on occasion. They're sometimes very slow to simulate. But I just don't think it's necessary to drape here. Plus, I just want him to get the cape to drape first so he can see how things behave which is why I suggested to hide everything in the scene except the figure and cape.
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,549
    edited May 9

What version of daz studio are you using?

edit sorry,  i see its 4.22 from your screenshot.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,412

Drogo Nazhur said:

I did everything you said. It ran for a few minutes and when it was done the cape was still floating in the air. I'm probably doing something really stupid but I don't know what it is.

Does it say anything after this window in your screenshot?

Spring extension is part of preparing the simulation, not actually running it, so it needs to do something *after* that to succeed.

The actual simulation stage will say something like "Simulating Animation" or "Stabilising Simulation" and you will usually see the simulation progressing in the viewport.

If it's not doing that, I recommend checking your program log to see if there's an error or reason listed.