dForce fur poncho

I'm a newbie. I purchased https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-real-fur-poncho-for-genesis-8. What I want is to be able to create the image of a full fur collar. What I get is one that appears to have been hit by the moths for too long. I've attached the different furs and none of them come through properly when applied with the poncho. No poncho (which looks weird) comes through with the heavy fur. What am I doing wrong? For anyone who looks at the product page, I want the look of the warrior with the heavy fur where he is holding a sword in his left hand. HELP!

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,757
    edited May 1

What does it look like?

Are you aware that it will (default) only be limited visible in viewport, so you have to render it in Iray.

Post edited by felis on
  • felis. What I see when I render is horrid. Mangy. Sparse fur. Like I sai, looks like the moths have been at for months. 

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 529
    edited May 2

Rendered in DAZ Studio 4.22

Here is what I get with one of the presets out of the box:

In this one I changed the fur to use the new Omni shader:

Tycho_HSpikedCurls_FurPoncho.jpg
    2160 x 3840 - 952K
    Tycho_HSpikedCurls_FurPonchoOmni.jpg
    2160 x 3840 - 711K
    Post edited by markusmatern on
  • Here's what I get when I render. One is with the poncho; the other without the poncho.

sasjaq 3.png
    618 x 800 - 896K
    sasjaq 4.png
    618 x 800 - 678K

Which version of Daz Studio are you using?

• Daz 4.22.0.16

And is that an actual render, and Not Iray preview?

• fuil render.

If you select the fur (not the poncho) and open parameters.

What does it then say in line tesselation?

And also in parameters, what does it say under Simulation > Hair?

Does other StrandBasedHair products work for you?

• I think you have the answer. 

I upped the number in the line tesselation and there appears to be more fur.

Attached are the screenshots of the settings currently.

• I haven't used any other strand software... yet.  First time.

Sorry, here's the screenshot of the hair simulation.

Thanks.      

simulation.png
    637 x 573 - 111K
    tesselation.png
    641 x 492 - 72K
    simulation hair.png
    638 x 468 - 78K

Tesselation of 180 gives a huge amout of geometry, and can potentially crash the computer.

A tesselation of 3 means that the hair will be tri-sided, and is default for render. Preview is usually 0 and will therefore not show in preview.

I will suggest you try to apply the OmniHair shader, and set Tesselation to 0 in both preview and render and see how that looks.

• OmniHair shader? Is that a product? I'm a newbie.

It is a built-in feature, added recently as part of default ressources.

It utilizes a new setup in Iray, that can render strandbased hair with volume, without having to set tesselation. You can say that is the new way to use strand based hair. New SBH products would presumably use it default, but for older products you can aplly the shader. You could also buy Chevybabes product https://www.daz3d.com/revolution--omni-shader-presets-for-strand-based-hairs if you want easy access to many setups.

But to find the shader, if you in Smart Content go to Shaders > Iray (> Hair) and type 'Omnihair' in the searchbox it should come up. 

• When I type Omnihair, nothing comes up except "Where are my products?"  Guess I don't have it.

OmniHair shader is part of default ressources in Daz Studio, so if you have the latest version of that you should have it. I would check for pending updates.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,228

A few cautionary words:
    If you don't have the latest version of Daz Studio, and you want to update it, first  CLOSE Daz Studio and make sure it has completely stopped,.by checking the Windows Task Manager. Don't kill the process; just let it finish its cleanup and close naturally. Then it is safe to update it. If you update while Daz Studio is still running, it will not run properly when you restart it. If you see an unnaturally white Daz Studio interface, that is the clue that you updated while Daz Studio was still running. If you ever do that accidentally, uninstall Daz Studio and reinstall it.

edited May 5

I think the problem may be that the fur is parented to the figure instead of being parented to the poncho. Because in this case I get also the shown problems.
    This is the correct setup: Select the poncho in the Scene Tab, now click on the fur you want to load.

The result in the Scene tab should look like this:

The render should look liike this:

If you have the figure selected when loading the fur it looks like this in the scene tab:

And the render looks like this:

PonchoFur-Correct-Scene.png
    346 x 274 - 37K
    PonchoFur-Correct.jpg
    2160 x 3840 - 864K
    PonchoFur-Incorrect-Scene.png
    346 x 274 - 23K
    PonchoFur-InCorrect.jpg
    2160 x 3840 - 867K
    Post edited by markusmatern on
  • That was the issue; I had the fur parented to the figure, not the poncho. After removing it from the figure, re-doing, adding the poncho and making sure I had it highlighted, then adding the fur, I have the character I want.

I'm learning. Thanks for all the help I received on this issue. I learned a lot.

See what I was hoping to accomplish; attached.

sasjaq fur.png
    618 x 800 - 689K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,228
    Very nice! Your fur collar look great.

lore_d9f4b6e6d1 said:

That was the issue; I had the fur parented to the figure, not the poncho. After removing it from the figure, re-doing, adding the poncho and making sure I had it highlighted, then adding the fur, I have the character I want.

I'm learning. Thanks for all the help I received on this issue. I learned a lot.

See what I was hoping to accomplish; attached.

Glad it worked out!