Algovincian Non-Photorealistic Rendering (NPR)

1235»

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,561

Wow I am really glad I found this thread. This is awesome work.  I am very interested in NPR style renders. I am however a poser user so I do not come here that often but I will now to follow your progress. I am an animator interested in expanding the ability of making anime style 2d animation from 3d software. I have the ability to do all the various render passes but I am really interested un how you are recombining them.

You can see what I have done on my blog: Witchhunter.us

Cheers, David 

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment, David - I appreciate it. Checked out your website, and I wish you the best of luck getting ready for Anime Boston 2017!

As far as your question about the process goes, the simple answer is that it's not a re-combination of the analysis passes at all. The strokes are governed by fractal algorithms. The analysis passes are what allows these algorithms to make sense of the 3D scene, and make decisions about what strokes to make.

Sorry I can't get into more detail, but my life is crazy hectic at the moment and I'm falling behind on several projects as it is. Hope this answers your question.

- Greg

• david_macraedavid_macrae Posts: 109

I wish you luck. I will be watching this thread. And I hope in the future you are able to share your process or package it up in a software or plug in . It is looking really good and I think you can market it.

Cheers, David

• I've just found this thread and oh my gosh I am in love with the comic style rendering, especially the Shreiker Art she looks awesome, I love that image so much hehe but as it's stupid o'clock here right now, I shall be back tomorrow to go through this thread in detail so I can try and learn to do these renders, as I am a total Noob in DS so this will be fun to learn :D Hugs to you all, you clever lot....Tracey not Andrew this time  ;)  X X X X X

I've just found this thread and oh my gosh I am in love with the comic style rendering, especially the Shreiker Art she looks awesome, I love that image so much hehe but as it's stupid o'clock here right now, I shall be back tomorrow to go through this thread in detail so I can try and learn to do these renders, as I am a total Noob in DS so this will be fun to learn :D Hugs to you all, you clever lot....Tracey not Andrew this time  ;)  X X X X X

I'm so glad you stopped by and enjoyed the Shrieker, Tracey! The sculpting on all of your characters is always outstanding (there's a lot of Mortem Vetus in my Genesis gene pool), and the texture work is fantastic, too (the maps always convert great for use in my NPR work).

Speaking of NPR, my process is a bit complicated, as there's fractal algorithms and a lot of other crazy stuff that happens outside of DAZ. I've done my best to explain it in some detail in the older NPR thread (there's a link in the first post of this thread), but I fear I may have failed!

I'm going to be out of town for the day tomorrow, but if you have any questions, please post and I'd be happy to try and answer them as best as I can when I get back.

- Greg

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,270

I've just found this thread and oh my gosh I am in love with the comic style rendering, especially the Shreiker Art she looks awesome, I love that image so much hehe but as it's stupid o'clock here right now, I shall be back tomorrow to go through this thread in detail so I can try and learn to do these renders, as I am a total Noob in DS so this will be fun to learn :D Hugs to you all, you clever lot....Tracey not Andrew this time  ;)  X X X X X

I'm so glad you stopped by and enjoyed the Shrieker, Tracey! The sculpting on all of your characters is always outstanding (there's a lot of Mortem Vetus in my Genesis gene pool), and the texture work is fantastic, too (the maps always convert great for use in my NPR work).

Speaking of NPR, my process is a bit complicated, as there's fractal algorithms and a lot of other crazy stuff that happens outside of DAZ. I've done my best to explain it in some detail in the older NPR thread (there's a link in the first post of this thread), but I fear I may have failed!

I'm going to be out of town for the day tomorrow, but if you have any questions, please post and I'd be happy to try and answer them as best as I can when I get back.

- Greg

Have a safe trip out of town and back! I hope it goes well (whatever you're up to). :) I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your NPRs when you have the time. :D

- Greg

Have a safe trip out of town and back! I hope it goes well (whatever you're up to). :) I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your NPRs when you have the time. :D

Thanks, Diva. I'm actually heading into Boston to watch my nephew (going to be a sophomore in high school this fall) play in a baseball tournament at Northeastern University. Should be fun!

- Greg

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Hey, Greg, be safe and have fun!  I hope your nephew hits some good ones and makes it all the way to home plate!

So, how did the nephew's team do?  Inquiring minds want to know! :)

They kissed their sisters in the first game (4-4 tie). Derek went 1 for 3 and fielded well (turned a couple of nice double plays @ SS). They lost pretty big in the second. This was a "showcase" tournament designed for scouts to check out players from all around, so who wins theoretically doesn't matter, but . . . wouldn't an evaluation of how players react in such crucial situations be something the scouts would be interested in? <shrug>

The kids on the other team were all 17+ (it was 18 and under). Can't wait to see Derek in the same tournament in 3 years, seeing as how he was one of the better players on his team now at 15.

- Greg

Sounds like a great tournament.  SS? short stop position?  It's been awhile since I've followed baseball.  I used to be a big fan of the Phillies, but it has probably been 20 years since I've actually seen a game!  I always liked the short stop position as it was always the most exciting position and a player had to be really good and really quick to get some of those double plays.  It sounds like your nephew is a good player, though.  I wish him luck in future games!

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004

Just found this thread and I am blown away by your work! 

• Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to chime in, Canary - it's much appreciated!

- Greg

• Just stumbled into this thread. Seems pretty dead to me but nontheless that is some amazing work you did there. Are you still doing the NPR?

• Just stumbled into this thread. Seems pretty dead to me but nontheless that is some amazing work you did there. Are you still doing the NPR?

Ah, makes sense, that in 2019, there is a new thread. Thanks alot