"I've become addicted to TV" September Freebie Challenge

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092
    edited December 1969

I, too, liked Eddie's Gumby Dammit!

I, too, have not received any new post notifications all day. I just started looking manually and found a bunch of new posts here. >:(

Dana

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited September 2012

music2u4u said:

I'm sorry nitehawk...my bad....you export the model to a .obj or .3ds format, then import it into poseray (freebie). that is where you click the groups tab, then the rest as stated. It is poseray that smooths it out.

:-)

Thanks Music, I didn't know that about PoseRay. Never used that tab.
    It seems to work better if you export Redtail from SU in .3ds format, import to poseray, weld, then export to .obj.
    The end result is much nicer than exporting directly to .obj from SU.
    It's not 100%, but it's usable. But then Fay's ship is pretty banged up anyway.
    Exporting to .obj, welding, then re-export to .obj, doesn't help much, it comes out looking worse.
    The webs are gone, but the hull is rougher.
    I'd post an image, but I don't want to steal any of Alexa's thunder.
    Thanks again.
    Gerry
    Post edited by nitehawk_ltd on
  • Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

I, too, have not received any new post notifications all day. I just started looking manually and found a bunch of new posts here. >:(

Dana

If i will not check at leat 2x a day.. I might forget about this ( sad, but true.. my memory is not really strong when it comes to things I do in the spare time) ... I get like one notification a day ..

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

If i will not check at leat 2x a day.. I might forget about this ( sad, but true.. my memory is not really strong when it comes to things I do in the spare time) ... I get like one notification a day ..

Well, it seems like the notifications have finally started coming in again. We'll see how long it lasts.

Dana

edited December 1969

You know Dana, one day I ma really attacted by them, and the other I get nothing ...
    I think they do not really like me ;)

edited September 2012

Well, you're not alone, Krissy!

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
    edited December 1969

hehe Dana.. maybe this Zombie Apocalypse will start after all, and forum software is the first victim :)

edited December 1969

I feel like a zombie myself right now. Yesterday and today I worked outside, pressure washing my picket fence and then I did the horizontal surfaces of my deck. As soon as I know it's not going to rain for at least two days, I'll begin the staining.

Dana

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Kinda glad that the gremlins didn't just go after my thread updates. Wondered why my inbox was so empty! :-)

Hands around a plate of cookies and a can of forum gremlin spray - keeps the gremlins away, all day!*

*forum gremlins may or may be kept away via use of virtual gremlin spray.

• ShanarahShanarah Posts: 94
    edited December 1969

Thought I'd toss in another NAE. Made this for my boyfriend's mother as part of her christmas gift last year (a Cookbook!) based on her favorite Twilight Zone episode. :) Scene setup in DS3A and rendered in LuxRender.

toservemansm.jpg
    500 x 750 - 94K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    Kinda glad that the gremlins didn't just go after my thread updates. Wondered why my inbox was so empty! :-)

Hands around a plate of cookies and a can of forum gremlin spray - keeps the gremlins away, all day!*

*forum gremlins may or may be kept away via use of virtual gremlin spray.

Why are my skin and eyes burning? ACCCK!!! Forum Gremlin spray?... RUN!!!!!

It BUUUURRRRNNNNNNSSSS!

Kendall

edited December 1969

ShanarahPSU lovely render
    Dana.. you need a lot of rest.. or coffie, you choose.. hmm.. where is jepperz with her pies when needed?
    shaaelia thank you very much.. greamlin sparay you say ?? hmm... And I was looking around to see who did spoil the air in the room :P

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    ShanarahPSU lovely render
    Dana.. you need a lot of rest.. or coffie, you choose.. hmm.. where is jepperz with her pies when needed?
    shaaelia thank you very much.. greamlin sparay you say ?? hmm... And I was looking around to see who did spoil the air in the room :P

I went outside and did a little bit earlier today and it was too much, so I came back in and I'm trying to relax, but Diane keeps finding things that need my help. Coffee is no replacement for rest, and I don't like coffee anyway. :roll:

Dana

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

We're halfway through the month, and we only have seven entries so far? Oh, dear...

• edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    We're halfway through the month, and we only have seven entries so far? Oh, dear...

I'd enter ... if I could just find a moment to search for a few items and render Dr Who.
    It's practically the only TV I watch now.
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

I'm sorry nitehawk...my bad....you export the model to a .obj or .3ds format, then import it into poseray (freebie). that is where you click the groups tab, then the rest as stated. It is poseray that smooths it out.

Thanks Music, I didn't know that about PoseRay. Never used that tab.
    It seems to work better if you export Redtail from SU in .3ds format, import to poseray, weld, then export to .obj.
    The end result is much nicer than exporting directly to .obj from SU.
    It's not 100%, but it's usable. But then Fay's ship is pretty banged up anyway.
    Exporting to .obj, welding, then re-export to .obj, doesn't help much, it comes out looking worse.
    The webs are gone, but the hull is rougher.
    I'd post an image, but I don't want to steal any of Alexa's thunder.
    Thanks again.
    Gerry

Weld...then "recalculate normals"....then export to .obj.

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

(Taking a deep breath and considering my words very carefully...) While I'm not exactly sure how to put this, and meaning no disrespect to all the parties involved, I think I've discovered a fundamental flaw with the direction the Monthly Challenges has taken. The idea of requiring a freebie within a render from a specific provider in order to showcase that provider is potential a very good one, the content of any given provider seriously hamstrings the ability of an person to meet the requirements. This is in no way a reflection on PhilC or any of the other content providers showcased thus far. He and the others have provided wonderful material over the years and should be lauded and applauded for their efforts over the years for their work. However, sometimes there just isn't enough proper content relating to the theme that's usable for the theme, which is the case I think we have here. I understand that the point of the challenge is to push ones creativity, but creativity can be pushed only so far when one has so little to work with. While this month's theme is a wonderful one (I could think of a thousand things to do with it dating back to the early days of television), there is little in this particular collection of free items that would lend itself to the theme. I suspect that next month's challenge is going to be just as difficult if not more. Again, no reflection on France, but after looking at her work on ShareCG I seem to see a lot of textures for a lot of clothing I don't own for characters I don't have. This, of course, is base on my interpretation and understanding of the rules, which may or may not be correct (and please! somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Do I have an answer to all of this? No, not really. That's not my place...I just wanted to state my observations. I want to make it expressly clear that the above is not posted with any anger, malice, venom or malicious intent like so many other internet missives. I am not ranting or attempting to incite a flame war with any of this. This is just my observations and mine alone. If I've been out of line with any of this, feel free to smack me down and put me back in line, but I am interested in hearing if anyone else here as the same feelings or thoughts on this or if I've somehow misinterpreted the entire situation. I put forward these thought only in the hope that it will encourage a calm, rational discussion without hurting any feelings or provoking any emotional outbursts, which is not my intent. Lord knows I've got enough trouble in my real life without causing any in the only place I can go to escape the real life for a little peace and quiet...

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

I'd enter ... if I could just find a moment to search for a few items and render Dr Who.
    It's practically the only TV I watch now.
    This might save you a few minutes of searching:
    http://www.cg-lair.co.uk/downloads/index.html
    edited December 1969

Thought I'd toss in another NAE. Made this for my boyfriend's mother as part of her christmas gift last year (a Cookbook!) based on her favorite Twilight Zone episode. :) Scene setup in DS3A and rendered in LuxRender.

"To Serve Man".....I loved that one.

edited December 1969

robkelk said:

(Taking a deep breath and considering my words very carefully...) While I'm not exactly sure how to put this, and meaning no disrespect to all the parties involved, I think I've discovered a fundamental flaw with the direction the Monthly Challenges has taken. The idea of requiring a freebie within a render from a specific provider in order to showcase that provider is potential a very good one, the content of any given provider seriously hamstrings the ability of an person to meet the requirements. This is in no way a reflection on PhilC or any of the other content providers showcased thus far. He and the others have provided wonderful material over the years and should be lauded and applauded for their efforts over the years for their work. However, sometimes there just isn't enough proper content relating to the theme that's usable for the theme, which is the case I think we have here. I understand that the point of the challenge is to push ones creativity, but creativity can be pushed only so far when one has so little to work with. While this month's theme is a wonderful one (I could think of a thousand things to do with it dating back to the early days of television), there is little in this particular collection of free items that would lend itself to the theme. I suspect that next month's challenge is going to be just as difficult if not more. Again, no reflection on France, but after looking at her work on ShareCG I seem to see a lot of textures for a lot of clothing I don't own for characters I don't have. This, of course, is base on my interpretation and understanding of the rules, which may or may not be correct (and please! somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Do I have an answer to all of this? No, not really. That's not my place...I just wanted to state my observations. I want to make it expressly clear that the above is not posted with any anger, malice, venom or malicious intent like so many other internet missives. I am not ranting or attempting to incite a flame war with any of this. This is just my observations and mine alone. If I've been out of line with any of this, feel free to smack me down and put me back in line, but I am interested in hearing if anyone else here as the same feelings or thoughts on this or if I've somehow misinterpreted the entire situation. I put forward these thought only in the hope that it will encourage a calm, rational discussion without hurting any feelings or provoking any emotional outbursts, which is not my intent. Lord knows I've got enough trouble in my real life without causing any in the only place I can go to escape the real life for a little peace and quiet...

LG, I invite any and all opinions about the challenge. Your, and others, input is what shapes the contest. If you think that this is what is keeping folks from entering this month, then, with some more input from others also experiencing it, we can change that, or eliminate it all together. The idea was generated to give thanks to all those who have given to us, but if it henders the challenge, I, you as well as the givers, would not want that. So, lets rethink it, get some others opinions, and we will choose a solution. Personally, what I have read back through the month so far, is a "lack of" TV knowledge, or shows for those who do not watch TV. I did, however, read one complaint about PhilC's stuff being mostly for Poser. But we do know that Daz will open any Poser item, so I did not give it much validity.

Let's wait and see what the folks say, and then address this. So...folks what do you think?

edited September 2012

You like GUMBY?

Dorsey, this is halerious! Love my "Thing" on the counter and Granny and Jed. Also the Southpark dude puffing away on cigarettes with the "no smoking" sign on the table next to an ashtray...lol. My question is this....what is the counter dirt mound looking thing...a giant loaf of bread?...a dirt mound?...what?

HappyDaysB.jpg
    1200 x 755 - 142K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited September 2012

tjohn said:
    You like Gumby? Me too. Here's a render I made in Bryce 7 years ago. I think I made everything in Wings3d and Bryce.
    That's Art Clokey in the left photo and his Dad on the right. Art said his Dad's unusual hair bump inspired the shape of Gumby's head.

Poor Pokey...he gets left out all the time. He was always a fav of mine. This is very cool, I really love the Bryce on the monitor. Now, you said you made this in Bryce 7, but the box next to the pooter says Bryce 5. So which is it?...lol.

gumby.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 243K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,022
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    tjohn said:
    You like Gumby? Me too. Here's a render I made in Bryce 7 years ago. I think I made everything in Wings3d and Bryce.
    That's Art Clokey in the left photo and his Dad on the right. Art said his Dad's unusual hair bump inspired the shape of Gumby's head.

Poor Pokey...he gets left out all the time. He was always a fav of mine. This is very cool, I really love the Bryce on the monitor. Now, you said you made this in Bryce 7, but the box next to the pooter says Bryce 5. So which is it?...lol.

Sorry there should be a comma between Bryce and 7. "Here's a render I made in Bryce, 7 years ago."
    or even more accurately. "Here's a render I made in Bryce5, seven years ago."
    Glad you liked the render.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

LG, I invite any and all opinions about the challenge. Your, and others, input is what shapes the contest. If you think that this is what is keeping folks from entering this month, then, with some more input from others also experiencing it, we can change that, or eliminate it all together. The idea was generated to give thanks to all those who have given to us, but if it henders the challenge, I, you as well as the givers, would not want that. So, lets rethink it, get some others opinions, and we will choose a solution. Personally, what I have read back through the month so far, is a "lack of" TV knowledge, or shows for those who do not watch TV. I did, however, read one complaint about PhilC's stuff being mostly for Poser. But we do know that Daz will open any Poser item, so I did not give it much validity.

Let's wait and see what the folks say, and then address this. So...folks what do you think?

My observations about this really sprang from my (minor) frustration when trying to come up with an idea for a render. One of my favorite shows growing up was Lost In Space. Knowing that there's a bunch of LoS stuff out there I though it'd be a lot of fun to do, however, after looking through PhilC's freebies I quickly discovered that nothing in his collection really fit into anything I could do. Sure, I could have dropped something in, arbitrarily at best, but it would have been so out of place it would have ruined the effect of the overall esthetics of the piece. Okay...so it's just me. Having been a professional artist, that is, having a client actually pay me to produce work and having said work meet the expectations of that client still carry over into work I produce for fun. It just goes against my grain, I guess. The whole "only for Poser" thing really didn't bother me at all because, as you have stated, DAZ will open Poser items with a little extra work, which I'm willing to do. What did effect me was specific items for specific characters that I don't have which, thereby, renders them unusable. I just wanted to maybe explain myself a little more clearly in case people get the wrong impression.

I'm with you and waiting to see what everybody else thinks about this and if it's an issue or not.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,649
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

My two cents about the required freebie rule. In my little opinion it does put a damper on how I go about creating. As in my last piece I ended up having to use an Asian knife in my Western picture. In the piece I am working on it was not as hard because I choose a subject that was more to Phil's set of freebies but still I was 90% done with the piece before I remembered I had to add something of Phil's to the scene.
    I like that we honor the people that take the time and effort to create things for us. I would not have been able to buy all of the things that have been given and there is some serious awesomeness with some of the items but I think that we have forgotten that by the very fact that this contest has been active and successful for so long that we are honoring those very same people by just having the contest. We have artists that have created scenes with over 30 free items. That to me is testament that we are paying homage to our community of freebie givers. Maybe what we should be doing is setting up a gallery like Kendell does for our competitions here at DAZ that showcases the winners and lists the items that were used in the piece. We don't advertise this contest so not all of our "donors" know what we are doing. The gallery would help do some of the advertising.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:

My two cents about the required freebie rule. In my little opinion it does put a damper on how I go about creating. As in my last piece I ended up having to use an Asian knife in my Western picture. In the piece I am working on it was not as hard because I choose a subject that was more to Phil's set of freebies but still I was 90% done with the piece before I remembered I had to add something of Phil's to the scene.
    I like that we honor the people that take the time and effort to create things for us. I would not have been able to buy all of the things that have been given and there is some serious awesomeness with some of the items but I think that we have forgotten that by the very fact that this contest has been active and successful for so long that we are honoring those very same people by just having the contest. We have artists that have created scenes with over 30 free items. That to me is testament that we are paying homage to our community of freebie givers. Maybe what we should be doing is setting up a gallery like Kendell does for our competitions here at DAZ that showcases the winners and lists the items that were used in the piece. We don't advertise this contest so not all of our "donors" know what we are doing. The gallery would help do some of the advertising.

I have the space on the server to hold all of the previous years' freebie challenge entries. And if Cho or Richard wants to set a sticky pointing the the Gallery for the Freebie Challenge, that's fine by me. Finding the time to collect all of the old entries... well that would be the real "challenge"; especially the older stuff further back in the forum archives. I'll host it all, no problem, I just don't have the luxury of the amount of time necessary to get it all together.

Kendall

edited December 1969

This is about the required freebie provider:

I, personally, don't have a big problem with having a required freebie provider. It DOES add quite a bit of difficulty to making a scene, but that's what makes it a challenge. For Alexa, the selection of Hobobo was a real issue, but it expanded her thought processes. For her "Falls of the Ohio" scene, she actually zoomed in so close to the texture that it provided an even better "river bank" than she could have created on her own. Then it inspired her to create a custom displacement map so that the water plane would poke through the texture at the right places. So, what started as a frustration, led to a new insight for her. For her college scene, she went with a more mundane "tile the texture onto a large prop" mode. She did, however, create a displacement for it even though it was too far away to see the added detail.

I can see where having a discordant freebie/theme would be a problem for some. The first month, where Cho was originally going to be the Freebier, was really going to be a challenge, but it was changed. France's stuff for October is definitely going to be a challenge, both for the fact that a good majority of it is dependent on "Paid For" items, and for the fact that it is not really material what one would associate with October/Halloween. Does this mean that I think it should be changed? No. I believe that it will force some creative "reassessing" of how scenes are created. This may be a stretch for some, no problem for others (hi Dorsey! :-) ), and a deal breaker for some.

As to the PhilC issue I raised:

I made it perfectly clear that some of the content would load into D|S, but that it would take more work than most people usually want to put into an item to get it to look right, and that the DS usable content wasn't readily visible in the normal spots (sharecg). I also made it clear that it was nothing more than a warning for DS users that they'd need to prepare for additional effort when using Phil's excellent props. I also pointed out that since the majority of his "new" stuff was dependent on Poser only characters (just try loading Miki3 into DS) that for those using Poser it'd only be fair to allow them to use Alyson (at least) without penalty for that month's challenge.

Kendall

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

My observations about this really sprang from my (minor) frustration when trying to come up with an idea for a render. One of my favorite shows growing up was Lost In Space. Knowing that there's a bunch of LoS stuff out there I though it'd be a lot of fun to do, however, after looking through PhilC's freebies I quickly discovered that nothing in his collection really fit into anything I could do. Sure, I could have dropped something in, arbitrarily at best, but it would have been so out of place it would have ruined the effect of the overall esthetics of the piece. Okay...so it's just me. Having been a professional artist, that is, having a client actually pay me to produce work and having said work meet the expectations of that client still carry over into work I produce for fun. It just goes against my grain, I guess. The whole "only for Poser" thing really didn't bother me at all because, as you have stated, DAZ will open Poser items with a little extra work, which I'm willing to do. What did effect me was specific items for specific characters that I don't have which, thereby, renders them unusable. I just wanted to maybe explain myself a little more clearly in case people get the wrong impression.

I'm with you and waiting to see what everybody else thinks about this and if it's an issue or not.

Hey LG,
    For a LoS type item, take a look at the prop called "Project 65" in the freebie_archive. It is a mask that could easily be used as a "Space Mask" that was so popular back then. It's about all I can come up with for LoS.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Hey LG,
    For a LoS type item, take a look at the prop called "Project 65" in the freebie_archive. It is a mask that could easily be used as a "Space Mask" that was so popular back then. It's about all I can come up with for LoS.

Kendall

Now that you mention it, it could possibly work. I may rethink that idea. However...and ya knew there hadda be one comin' from me...I think my biggest problem with the arrangement as it now stands is that it limits (for me) the number of really good renders I can submit in a single month simply because if the provider hasn't provided enough useful material that fits the theme, I'm limited to maybe one. Is this a bad thing? Not according to some of you considering my reputation around here.:lol: I think I've said this before but I really don't do this because I'm a prize hungry overachiever who's hell bent on proving I'm gonna win at all costs. I do it because it's fun. I do it because it's a sort of therapy after being a wage slave at a mind numbing factory job all day long. I do lots of them because sometimes I get so many ideas I've just got to do something with them! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a challenge, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But, when given a challenge and then not having the tools to do a lot with the challenge is a little frustrating. Or maybe I just need to quit being so obsessive/compulsive about it...

I like the idea of putting up the gallery of the past months, but I agree that it would be a nightmare to organize. I've got all of my previous enters (back to April of 2009) and probably about 95% of the text files with the freebie locations, and I wonder how many people might have done the same. If the information gathering logistics can be worked out, it would be a great thing. If not...I guess there's always Plan B...which will be whatever we come up with next.

edited December 1969

Hey LG,

Kendall

Now that you mention it, it could possibly work. I may rethink that idea. However...and ya knew there hadda be one comin' from me...I think my biggest problem with the arrangement as it now stands is that it limits (for me) the number of really good renders I can submit in a single month simply because if the provider hasn't provided enough useful material that fits the theme, I'm limited to maybe one. Is this a bad thing? Not according to some of you considering my reputation around here.:lol: I think I've said this before but I really don't do this because I'm a prize hungry overachiever who's hell bent on proving I'm gonna win at all costs. I do it because it's fun. I do it because it's a sort of therapy after being a wage slave at a mind numbing factory job all day long. I do lots of them because sometimes I get so many ideas I've just got to do something with them! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a challenge, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But, when given a challenge and then not having the tools to do a lot with the challenge is a little frustrating. Or maybe I just need to quit being so obsessive/compulsive about it...

Don't stop... Renderin'... Keep that 'puter chuggggggiiiiinnnn ~~ :-)

I like the idea of putting up the gallery of the past months, but I agree that it would be a nightmare to organize. I've got all of my previous enters (back to April of 2009) and probably about 95% of the text files with the freebie locations, and I wonder how many people might have done the same. If the information gathering logistics can be worked out, it would be a great thing. If not...I guess there's always Plan B...which will be whatever we come up with next.

Alexa has her renders and freebie lists, and some of the renders are already in her personal gallery. So, it wouldn't take too much to put her entries in. However, she's not been in the competition for too terribly long.

Kendall