Course on creating skin textures

I've been wanting to try to create different skin textures for characters using Photoshop.  I see brushes you can buy for photoshop.  The problem is I'm not sure where to begin.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  Is this a fools folley?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,808
    edited February 4

Usually we create skin textures with Adobe Substance Painter, Blender, etc. then refine the maps with Photoshop, or directly use Skin Builder. If you create skin texture from scratch in Photoshop, personally I don't think it's a good idea....

So I presume you actually want to retouch the existing skin texture maps in Photoshop rather than create brand new maps... Is that correct?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,253

For color maps, you can use photo projection of photographs in something like Substance Painter, Blender, Mudbox, etc.  Or use existing skin materials, like Substance Painter materials from their library or 3rd party materials. Or use other resources like body scans, wrapped to Genesis figures. Obviously with anything you don't create yourself, you need to check license.  Most photos and substance painter materials would be useable as a Daz skin under license, but body scans likely will not be.

For things like Spec map, Bump Map, Displacement Map, Normal map, it might be best to start with sculpting. E.g., sculpting a very high resolution scullpt to the level of detail of skin cells, pores, wrinkles, creases, then can export/derive maps from the high-res mesh for all of the aforementioned. Of course there are probably other methodologies to fake such details (see Materialize) rather than deriving them from a high res sculpt.

As for where to begin? I guess typing "how to ____" into google/youtube is a good start, since there are new tutorial makers coming out every other day so hard to really say. Outgang has some good tutorials on some things, but they are often aimed at intermediate level people.

• Wow!  Really appreciate it.  I was thinking about doing it from scratch.  I realize now that might be more than I can handle.  I'll look into one of the software options. 

Thanks for the help!