tutorial for fitting body armour

myotherworldmyotherworld Posts: 578
edited January 16 in The Commons
Hi all. I am looking for a good, easy to follow tutorial on fitting body armour. It's in obj format(it's ALL rigid armour) to a G8/9 figure, I want to set it up so that it loads and fits and parents to the figure. Without having to load each peace, one at a time, each time I want to use it. But I would like that opinion too. Any ideas.
Post edited by myotherworld on

Comments

• Well, a Wearables preset would handle loading it all in one go. For the rest, if theya re rigid parts just parenting them to the relevant body parts would be fine - but then there would be no morph following, for good or ill.

• Thanks for the reply Richard, i was following right up to "a Wearables preset"

Ok what is or how do you make one of those?

• If you parent the parts to the appropriate bones of the figure, then File>Save As>Wearable preset you will be able to select as many of the parented items as you want and save a single file that will load and parent all of them when you double-click it.

• lol That simple.

OK this is new territory, so a very big thank you. 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,387

You have the option to save these armors as either a confroming figure,  using the transfer utility,  or as parented props placed on the character. 

If you already know which character figure you are putting the armor on and don't plan to use it on any other character,  then the parent prop route is the quickest option. The static prop attaches to the body part it is covering  and retains its shape. For example bracers on the forearms. In simple terms place the armor where you want it,  and in the scene hierarchy, parent the armor prop to the respective bone of the character figure.

The other option is to use the transfer utility to make that same armor a conforming piece of clothing. The advantage of that is,  the armor will generally conform to any character figure for that generation. The downside is it is no longer static like the prop,  it will be affected by all the morphs and bends of the figure.  Those bracers mentioned above,  may now deform because of the muscle morphs in the forearm,  or the bends at the elbows and wrists.  Clothing in the store have corrective morphs that adjust for these deformations. It is a methodical step process to address, the bends and twists in the bone rigging. Then come weight maps.    If you go this route,  that may be something you will have to address yourself. 

• thank you this is all a really big help.

i have not done a lot with human type figures,

Sticking to hard objects in the past, so this is all new to me and both your help has set on a path.

• myotherworldmyotherworld Posts: 578
    edited April 26

has it really be just over 2 months since my last post on this.

as before thanks to all for the help.

Its really coming along and I am very happy with the progress so far.

here is Gen 8 "Leony HD" with "Vitruvian Exosuit Female" outfit on 

And Victoria 3 grim armour in a Victoria 3 pose.

ho and I have modded the BFG.

still a bit more to do, but very happy

getting there 02.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by myotherworld on