Polygons not staying hidden between sessions

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
edited November 2015 in The Commons

Pic 1 is a render I did Yesturday.

Pic 2 is the scene reloaded today.

You might notice a bunch of boards.

Yesturday, I had gone in with geometry editor and hidden them (because it was the only way to have them not appear and not mess up other parts of the scene).

It worked as I wanted..but after saving quitting, then coming back to it...it didn't stick.....

Is there something else I need to do? Do I need to actually delete the hidden polygons?

(I keep finding that hiding/deleting polygons on one copy of an object, can affect all the copies of the object in the scene. (full seperate objects, not instances of the original).

(On an unrelated note..maybe it's time to fix the "attach a file" system...only been a few months..)

Screenshot 2015-11-19 03.48.56.png
208 x 545 - 163K
Screenshot 2015-11-19 03.38.01.png
234 x 477 - 854K
Post edited by Scavenger on

Comments

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

no pics to see

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    Ruphuss said:

no pics to see

refresh the page :D

• Hiding is temporary, or was initially (I thought it might have changed), if you want it to stick between sessions you will need to create a new Surface or delete the hidden polygons.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554

I do hope DAZ add persistence to hidden geometry between sessions - deleting polys isn't always an option as it can make smoothing explode, similarly setting cutout opacity to 0 won't work in some cases. For a bit of convenience a selection set can be created, but still a pain.

• pdspds Posts: 593

I ran into this just the other day. Apparently, using the "visibility eyeballs" in the Geometry Editor tool options is a temporary convenience, which in a way makes sense. You could drive yourself (or someone else) crazy trying to figure out where your polys went some time down the road if the Geometry Editor visibility settings didn't reset between sessions.

Fortunately, I had created separate Surface groups so I could just go back into the Geometry Editor and use the Tool Options tab to re-hide the offending polys, but to keep them hidden I went ahead and set the Cutout Opacity for these Surface groups to zero. Now at least I can manage all of the surfaces from within the Surfaces tab.

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919
    pds said:

I ran into this just the other day. Apparently, using the "visibility eyeballs" in the Geometry Editor tool options is a temporary convenience, which in a way makes sense. You could drive yourself (or someone else) crazy trying to figure out where your polys went some time down the road if the Geometry Editor visibility settings didn't reset between sessions.

Fortunately, I had created separate Surface groups so I could just go back into the Geometry Editor and use the Tool Options tab to re-hide the offending polys, but to keep them hidden I went ahead and set the Cutout Opacity for these Surface groups to zero. Now at least I can manage all of the surfaces from within the Surfaces tab.

I can understand that. However, I'm in the camp of wanting them to be sticky, like the visibility eyeballs in the scene tool. Confusion would be kept to minimum since it only impacts the specific scene, it's not like it's saved with the core object from DIM or anything like that.

Actually, I want pretty much everything in my scene to be sticky when i click the save button, including the perspective 'camera'.

Overall it's not a big deal tho. Usually opacity does the trick as a stickier geometry invisibility button.

• pdspds Posts: 593
    havsm said:
    pds said:

I can understand that. However, I'm in the camp of wanting them to be sticky, like the visibility eyeballs in the scene tool. Confusion would be kept to minimum since it only impacts the specific scene, it's not like it's saved with the core object from DIM or anything like that.

Actually, I want pretty much everything in my scene to be sticky when i click the save button, including the perspective 'camera'.

Overall it's not a big deal tho. Usually opacity does the trick as a stickier geometry invisibility button.

Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly prefer "sticky" (like that way of describing it).

• you can just assign them all to a new surface you turn opacity down on and save it as a support prop etc asset under a new name

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

you can just assign them all to a new surface you turn opacity down on and save it as a support prop etc asset under a new name

I vaguely recall a situation where opacity didn't succeed in hiding something. Perhaps it was a dress handle. Whatever it was, couldn't get the darn thing to disappear completely. Although usually, it does the job just fine.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554

you can just assign them all to a new surface you turn opacity down on and save it as a support prop etc asset under a new name

As already mentioned, there are instances where opacity isn't good enough and the geometry editor needs to be used to hide the relevant polys.