Understanding Daz rotations

So I just ran into an issue where I want to adjust the rotations of certain joints of my Daz figure which I've exported as .fbx and imported into a different 3D package. But what I notice is that the rotations of all the joints on my Daz figure are at 0 degress which makes it very difficult to rotate say the knee, shoulder or elbow joints around their natural axis. I would usually expect the joints to be in alignment with their natural axis. 

Within Daz, I notice that local coordinates of all the joints appear to be correctly aligned, so I'm wondering why when exporting the figure as .fbx all the joints are then zero'd?

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• So just to illustrate a little better what I mean … on the left is the rotation of the joint in Daz and on the right is the rotation of the same joint when exported as .fbx and imported into C4D. So I'm just wondering why the one on the left is correct but the one on the right isn't the same?

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 20.11.53.jpg
    2308 x 1010 - 683K
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,604
    edited November 2023

Suggest use Daz to C4D bridge rather than FBX Only. DTC bridge can fix joint orientation after importing to C4D

SNAG-2023-11-20-0000.png
    1757 x 1036 - 650K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Thanks for the tip … I've installed the C4D Bridge and I'm doing some testing, but I'm still getting rotation errors – I need to learn a little more to understand what's actually going on, but what I'm seeing is that if I change my pose in Daz to anything other than the base pose then I get mis-aligned rotations in C4D even though I select 'fix bone orientations'. The plugin also doesn't seem to fix rotations if you try to import animation.

Like I say, I still need to learn more about this plugin and about Daz in general, but what I was trying to do was create a few individual poses in Daz on a few frames of the timeline and import them into C4D. I guess I wondered whether Daz could actually export the joints with the same roations I'm seeing within Daz. Maybe I need to change my workflow and just do my posing outside of Daz and in C4D, but that would be a real shame to not be able to take advantage of the great posing tools and ability of Daz.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 07.17.54.png
    2360 x 1606 - 882K
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,646

It doesn't help that C4D defaults to HPB, while Daz joints are set up as XYZ.

benkoppel said:

Thanks for the tip … I've installed the C4D Bridge and I'm doing some testing, but I'm still getting rotation errors – I need to learn a little more to understand what's actually going on, but what I'm seeing is that if I change my pose in Daz to anything other than the base pose then I get mis-aligned rotations in C4D even though I select 'fix bone orientations'. The plugin also doesn't seem to fix rotations if you try to import animation.

Like I say, I still need to learn more about this plugin and about Daz in general, but what I was trying to do was create a few individual poses in Daz on a few frames of the timeline and import them into C4D. I guess I wondered whether Daz could actually export the joints with the same roations I'm seeing within Daz. Maybe I need to change my workflow and just do my posing outside of Daz and in C4D, but that would be a real shame to not be able to take advantage of the great posing tools and ability of Daz.

The latest bridge can fix orientation for any static pose and switch rotation order from HPB to XYZ - https://github.com/daz3d/DazToC4D/issues/53, but it cannot fix the exported animation for the time being...

• benkoppelbenkoppel Posts: 15
    edited November 2023

Maybe I'm doing something wrong then, because when I create a Genesis 8 or 9 figure in Daz, raise the arms a little and then bring it into C4D using the Bridge, the rotations are wrong even though I am clicking Yes to 'would you like to fix bone orientations'. Maybe it doens't work properly with C4D 2024.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 20.17.50.png
    1538 x 1166 - 439K
    Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 20.20.00.png
    744 x 634 - 176K
    Post edited by benkoppel on

benkoppel said:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong then, because when I create a Genesis 8 or 9 figure in Daz, raise the arms a little and then bring it into C4D using the Bridge, the rotations are wrong even though I am clicking Yes to 'would you like to fix bone orientations'. Maybe it doens't work properly with C4D 2024.

If you're with a Mac Os, I don't know... as it works with C4D 2023 and 2024 on my side...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,276

crosswind said:

benkoppel said:

If you're with a Mac Os, I don't know... as it works with C4D 2023 and 2024 on my side...

Whoa... crosswind... do you have All of the various software out there? How do you know literally Everything?!!! 

Kudos, my friend!

Envious. Never got to try C4D! :(

Dartanbeck said:

crosswind said:

benkoppel said:

Whoa... crosswind... do you have All of the various software out there? How do you know literally Everything?!!! 

Kudos, my friend!

Envious. Never got to try C4D! :(

Wahaha ~~ I just have some leading ones and the ones that I really need. I don't know everything but I've been trying to learn AMAP as long as I'm able to.

Now I'm playing with Cascadeur free version, so far so interesting. laugh

Sweet! Instead, I've been making more and more of my Partial aniBlocks from my existing (and I have a LOT) aniBlocks and legacy animated pose files

BTW - you do too know Everything!!!

NP ~~ aniBlocks are greate and nice to use ! I just wanna see how an AI makes physics work much better with animations. cheeky

crosswind said:

NP ~~ aniBlocks are greate and nice to use ! I just wanna see how an AI makes physics work much better with animations. cheeky

I do too! Just not there yet. At that price, I think I might just grab it when/if I can