Any demand for general store items ? [Commercial]

Comments

• Thank you both smiley

Of course you will need matches for your argers...

pantry-matches.png
    800 x 554 - 458K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    mrmorph said:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll carry on then smiley

Etrigan said:

I'd bite. I like Timbales idea of presets for a given model, but moreso, I'd prefer presets for groupings 3x3, 6x6x2, etc. I know it's easy to do, but I get bored opening DS, building my grouping save/exit/restart. The other criteria would be variations on labeling a can is a can, but soup, beans, veggies, Chef boyardee, etc. would help. I don't know what the legaleze is for using Campbell's® labels on a model are.

Yes I thought stacks would be a good idea too. And yes I'll name them appropriately.

As for Cambells, then it's a recognised brand and trademark, so selling it would probably not be a good idea.

Just made this as another example.

As you're wanting, sensibly imo, to avoid possibilities of copyright infrignement, it might be an idea to name them flakes of corn. :)

• Widdershins StudioWiddershins Studio Posts: 539
    edited November 2015

Possibly, I think the words have become like the word hoover, common usage, but I can always flip it if needed.

Last one for today, a bottle of Port.

The blue/grey background is a basic texture. The one with the coloured background is Iray - still tweaking it.

pantry-port.jpg
    600 x 416 - 11K
    pantry-port-iray-2.png
    800 x 554 - 250K
    Post edited by Widdershins Studio on
    edited November 2015

Got the Port bottle the way I like it now - see what you all think. I smoothed out the neck curves.

This one has Iray material and rendering.

pantry-bottle-b-iray-red.png
    800 x 554 - 610K
    edited November 2015

This one took me a while but I enjoyed doing it.

pantry-carton-orange-juice.png
    800 x 554 - 319K
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

These are all excellent. Generic, but altogether plausible.

One thing that could be helpful if someone is dressing a scene set in the actual market, would be groups or clusters of a given item for stocking the shelves. One would really rather not have to place such items one at a time.

• Thank you very much smiley

I get inspiration from my kitchen. I don't copy anything outright, I just get a general feel for how a product might look and what kind of things appear on the packaging.

I keep thinking about the stacks/groups - I think I will make a few displays that you might see in a shop.

Here's my last one for tonight, some milk.

pantry-carton-small-milk.png
    800 x 554 - 375K
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I think there'll be a large interest in a product (or products) like this (especially if the boxes of cereal or cans of food open!)

After all, some time ago Daz gave away the checkout lane item and what better to go with a grocery checkout lane than groceries!

Another point to make, a scene is never truely complete without all the background clutter that people subconciously expect and definately notice when they are missing.

Add me to the list of "INTERESTED!"

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Love the cow on the milk!

While I agree (very much) on having groups of things, they do need to be individual props too. I don't need a cluster of things around a milk carton if I want a kid sitting at the table with the carton on the table  :) wink  

We can always use more groceries (I have the other Everyday products, wonderful stuff!!) and these are colorful and fun. Thanks for sharing a preview!

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    mrmorph said:

Thank you very much smiley

I get inspiration from my kitchen. I don't copy anything outright, I just get a general feel for how a product might look and what kind of things appear on the packaging.

I keep thinking about the stacks/groups - I think I will make a few displays that you might see in a shop.

If you do make stacking products, just be careful of the polygon count. This is one of the major reasons I've never done a supermarket set. Loading a simple prop is ok, but when you put a dozen or more together and load them, it's another story. And with maybe 10 or 20 different stacks in the scene, it can become fairly large.

Prop makers always have to bear in mind that the users will probably have already loaded up a room or other environment, plus one or two figures, before they even think about adding props. So its a balancing act between making your props realistic, and keeping them as low-poly as possible.

edited November 2015
    Novica said:

Love the cow on the milk!

While I agree (very much) on having groups of things, they do need to be individual props too. I don't need a cluster of things around a milk carton if I want a kid sitting at the table with the carton on the table  :) wink  

We can always use more groceries (I have the other Everyday products, wonderful stuff!!) and these are colorful and fun. Thanks for sharing a preview!

Yes that cow is some stock art I bought that lept out as soon as I saw it.

I think the tricky thing is making stacks that will be as universally usable as possible, so probably something simple that can be built upon and adjusted. But yes there will be single items and stacks.

I'm glad you liked the previews, sharing these as I go along really helps to motivate me. I haven't heard from Daz yet, but i hope they are as positive as the kind members here smiley

maclean said:
    mrmorph said:

Thank you very much smiley

If you do make stacking products, just be careful of the polygon count. This is one of the major reasons I've never done a supermarket set. Loading a simple prop is ok, but when you put a dozen or more together and load them, it's another story. And with maybe 10 or 20 different stacks in the scene, it can become fairly large.

Prop makers always have to bear in mind that the users will probably have already loaded up a room or other environment, plus one or two figures, before they even think about adding props. So its a balancing act between making your props realistic, and keeping them as low-poly as possible.

Thanks for the tip. These are all really quite low poly, I've had some practice making models for Unity for a separate project of mine - and poly count is often a factor there too. The boxes are just 6 polys. The cartons are just 34 faces. The bottle is 418 faces which is the most so far - it obviously needs those extra polys to get the smooth curves; any lower and it starts to look jagged.

Thank you both for taking a look smiley

edited November 2015

I think there'll be a large interest in a product (or products) like this (especially if the boxes of cereal or cans of food open!)

After all, some time ago Daz gave away the checkout lane item and what better to go with a grocery checkout lane than groceries!

Another point to make, a scene is never truely complete without all the background clutter that people subconciously expect and definately notice when they are missing.

Add me to the list of "INTERESTED!"

I hope so !

I'll see if I can find the grocery checkout lane, I hadn't seen that yet.

Glad you like them smiley

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312

For the stacks etc you could use instances.

Could you do some washing powder packs, especially ones with the corner open?

• New one for today - someone mentioned tea bags, so I made a box full.

pantry-box-tea.png
    800 x 554 - 363K
  • scorpio said:

Not sure what you mean by "instances".

Washing powder is already on my list, I'll make it with the open corner smiley

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

Don't foget baking needs (bag of flour) as well as bottles of spices :-)

• ThatGuy said:

Don't foget baking needs (bag of flour) as well as bottles of spices :-)

Good ideas, thanks, I'll add those to my list smiley

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603

The only grocery checkout I've seen is this:

These are becoming more common in modern stores. 

I had to go through my product library to find it, but it's this one :)

http://www.daz3d.com/quick-check-lane

• Thanks both. I may pick that up to make a nice display of all the items.

edited November 2015
    scorpio said:

I made a washing powder box today, see if you like it. In the UK we have boxes with a little slide open chute, so I went for that. It's got a morph built in so the chute can be opened and closed.

I think I will add some more detail to the texture, but this is what I have so far.

pantry-box-big-washing-powd.png
    800 x 554 - 362K

Is it possilbe to make groups, so that an item can be removed, or made invisiable with opacity?

No idea, just curious.

• nicstt said:

Is it possilbe to make groups, so that an item can be removed, or made invisiable with opacity?

No idea, just curious.

I guess you could just turn it off with the eye icon in the scene menu.

mrmorph said:
    nicstt said:

No idea, just curious.

Well if individualy items in the group can be done that way, it would solve the request for multiple itmes, folks just invis what they dont want. :)

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    nicstt said:
    mrmorph said:
    nicstt said:

No idea, just curious.

Well if individualy items in the group can be done that way, it would solve the request for multiple itmes, folks just invis what they dont want. :)

Yes and no. Even if items are invisible, they're still loaded in the scene. Load too many, and they slow down your computer, invisible or not.

• I suppose the main use for groups is for a shop or super market image. So I could make groups of 4 and 6 maybe.

My fruit juice range has expanded...

pantry-carton-fruit-juices.png
    800 x 554 - 358K
    pantry-carton-group-six.png
    800 x 554 - 389K
  • ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

Don't forget the bags of chips!  No supermarket is complete without potato chips.  And while we're at it, the paper goods (toilet paper, paper towel) as well!

What if you have a single item prop for the individual needs and then a textured cube or a single mesh for a group of items?

Then they could bulk up the shelf with the group item and any out of place needs, they can add the single prop or 2.

edited November 2015
    ThatGuy said:

Don't forget the bags of chips!  No supermarket is complete without potato chips.  And while we're at it, the paper goods (toilet paper, paper towel) as well!

Funny - the chips came to mind last night. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll add those to the list. smiley

What if you have a single item prop for the individual needs and then a textured cube or a single mesh for a group of items?

Then they could bulk up the shelf with the group item and any out of place needs, they can add the single prop or 2.

You could do that, but things like those juice cartons are very low poly. I'm not sure the extra work on redoing the textures for another model is worth it atm.

I think if I make a group of six and make one the main one, then child the other five, then people could just delete the ones they don't want. I need to experiment with that. If that works, it would also solve the problem of too many invisible objects in the scene, but really these are not very demanding poly wise.

I've decide to pause at this point and I'm putting in what I have to the PA Team to see what they think.

Here's everything together that I have made so far.

promo_all_big.png
    1024 x 768 - 733K
  • SamutSamut Posts: 50

The morph for the detergent box is a great idea. Any possibility of adding morphs for the other items, so we can open the boxes, cans etc.?