About Rigging

Is there a way to rig in Daz without using weight mapping? I just want to add bones and not use the WM so that it's usable in both Daz and Poser. Any tutorials on how that is done is appreciated.

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

It depends on the item.  If it's clothes, it has to have rigging to match the figure it's for.

If it's a rigged prop, it can have any sort of rigging, but there has to be something to tell the bones what polygons to move.  Weight maps are one way of doing that.  The way found in older .cr2 props, without weight maps, is discussed here:

http://brian-the-techie.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-to-rig-poser-prop.html

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,347

Great tutorial but I don't have Poser.  What about the Content Creator that was offered with previous versions of Daz, are they not usable for this sort of thing.  I ask cause I have them in my product library.  Also have older versions of Daz if that is necessary.

It should be totally possible to do legacy rigging in Studio still.  I haven't done it in ages, but I did just do a tutorial for a friend for the ExP export process not that long ago, and that still worked.

I'm hunting for tutorials right now without success.  Googling ".cr2 rig daz studio" mostly does not help.

Okay, have you tried this one? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/661320/

edited October 2015

Crap have to search to forum, the link is dead, same with sharecg.

All of her old tutorials are gone, probably going to have to save all the pages in the thread

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

It should be totally possible to do legacy rigging in Studio still.  I haven't done it in ages, but I did just do a tutorial for a friend for the ExP export process not that long ago, and that still worked.

I'm hunting for tutorials right now without success.  Googling ".cr2 rig daz studio" mostly does not help.

Hi, I'm still kicking! Changed my handle over at DA to Catherine3678a.

.cr2 rigging is very possible in 4.8 ... workflow can be simple or complicated depending upon what exactly one is making. Clothing is something of a nightmare, props easy.

I believe what I am making is referred to as prop.  I can either go with a flat strip using transmaps, or very thin long tubes as strands (I know I have to be careful of polygon count if doing that) and group into a number of section that each can be placed and bent according to rigging.

I know about the name change but the tutorial in question that Sickle linked is not at either site and I tried several searches for it, including with your new name.  What I don't know is how to create a rig from scratch and not do weight mapping.  Sickle thought the tut linked to would cover that.

edited October 2015

I believe what I am making is referred to as prop.  I can either go with a flat strip using transmaps, or very thin long tubes as strands (I know I have to be careful of polygon count if doing that) and group into a number of section that each can be placed and bent according to rigging.

I know about the name change but the tutorial in question that Sickle linked is not at either site and I tried several searches for it, including with your new name.  What I don't know is how to create a rig from scratch and not do weight mapping.  Sickle thought the tut linked to would cover that.

Yes it would and I quickly the wrong folder so ... bear with me. I'll try this here on the laptop.

1. Rigging has nothing to do with any form of texturing ... the more mesh, the more canvas to work with.

2. I'll make some long thin tubes as strands ... back in a minute or so.

Here's the first set of pics ... I'm covering the whole thing so anyone dropping in can follow if they want to.

001.png
    1366 x 629 - 172K
    002.png
    901 x 436 - 70K
    003.png
    1366 x 663 - 170K
    004.png
    1366 x 647 - 146K
    005.png
    375 x 172 - 10K
    Post edited by patience55 on

Next set:

006.png
    760 x 635 - 90K
    007.png
    786 x 350 - 36K
    008.png
    889 x 370 - 54K
    009.png
    685 x 375 - 81K
    010.png
    673 x 319 - 53K

Ok I can try this tomorrow as it's getting late.  The first image, I see the four strands, but I don't know what the sphere is for.  I have tried to do shading domains before, but somehow it doesn't work for me, I must be missing something...lol which is normal for me. I understand that the shading domains and material zones need the same names, that might be where I made a mistake in the past. I also understand about the 2 zones and shading must be done in order to clone the strands.

I understand the second image I understand about position and not grouping and exporting to test it.

In the third image you mention removing all materials not in use..which one's would not be in use, lost me there. I understood about exporting and importing several times to test and check on things. That leads to the 4th image and what you said...I noticed there is an unassigned faces in the shading part, not sure what that is.

I also get the 5th image, assuming it's a resave.

edited October 2015

In that next set I understood the first 3 images and understand what you said about the mtl file in the 4th image, but after that I am lost. I assume following images will explain what I am not getting.

Forgot to mention...from what you said on the first set, I am going to be cloning this?  Also, I don't know what cloning will do with regards to texturing and having a template later so I can create textures, as well as anyone else wishing to use this.  I kinda thought I would have to clone or something like that if I ever made hair, of which there are two I do plan to make to sell once I master the creation part of this.

Oh right, also forgot to ask...you said you would be putting 2 bones inside the material zones, which can only be done if shading domains are created before cloning.  How may bones can you put inside a material zone and if I want more bones do I need more material zones, followed by shading domains for each material zone?

I think I asked that correctly...lol  Headed to bed now, hope you have a good night or day if you are in a different time zone.

Ok I can try this tomorrow as it's getting late.  The first image, I see the four strands, but I don't know what the sphere is for.  I have tried to do shading domains before, but somehow it doesn't work for me, I must be missing something...lol which is normal for me. I understand that the shading domains and material zones need the same names, that might be where I made a mistake in the past. I also understand about the 2 zones and shading must be done in order to clone the strands.

I understand the second image I understand about position and not grouping and exporting to test it.

In the third image you mention removing all materials not in use..which one's would not be in use, lost me there. I understood about exporting and importing several times to test and check on things. That leads to the 4th image and what you said...I noticed there is an unassigned faces in the shading part, not sure what that is.

I also get the 5th image, assuming it's a resave.

Yes the pics I'm about to upload will show what I'm doing with the sphere. I made a hair once using a scalp cap in a similar fashion. Not with all things, but with many one needs "something" to parent the bones to.
     Often it is obviously part of the project but sometimes one has to put in an extra piece.

One of the zones was for the sphere, the other for the strands. Thing is, it is very easy to undo all the materials and then assign every single strand its own material zone. It is impossible to assign the same Shading domain and material to many pieces after they are made. It is impossible to assign the same material to several Shading domains.

The materials not in use are those not assigned to any of the present Shading domains. When they were created, the Shading domain had one name, the material was assigned by Hexagon. I did not change those. Upon export, Hexagon changed the names of the Shading domains with materials to match. If this was a major project; nearer to the end of the workflow, I would then decide which strands would be in which Shading Domains, making those and renaming materials to match the Shading domain names which would also be names I type in. It is interesting though to see what does Hexagon do, and sometimes for some projects I just let it. Not into renaming 150 ship parts for any ship lol ...

The sphere for the unassigned faces contains no blue ... that means there are none.

Yup.

edited October 2015

In that next set I understood the first 3 images and understand what you said about the mtl file in the 4th image, but after that I am lost. I assume following images will explain what I am not getting.

Forgot to mention...from what you said on the first set, I am going to be cloning this?  Also, I don't know what cloning will do with regards to texturing and having a template later so I can create textures, as well as anyone else wishing to use this.  I kinda thought I would have to clone or something like that if I ever made hair, of which there are two I do plan to make to sell once I master the creation part of this.

Oh right, also forgot to ask...you said you would be putting 2 bones inside the material zones, which can only be done if shading domains are created before cloning.  How may bones can you put inside a material zone and if I want more bones do I need more material zones, followed by shading domains for each material zone?

I think I asked that correctly...lol  Headed to bed now, hope you have a good night or day if you are in a different time zone.

I was cloning, whether you wish to use the clone feature or not is your call. If one uses the clone feature it can save a lot of time uvmapping, etc. if the items are essentially the same.

Technically speaking you can have as many bones as Hexagon will hold in its shallow memory. They can all be in one Shading Domain and have the same material IF they were all created via cloning from one "finished" piece.

If you add more bones afterwards, yes they would have to be in a new Shading Domain. When I am not sure how many bones will be needed, I'll clone what is needed plus enough spares to do the job for sure.

Then say you have 100 hairs all in one Shading Domain with one material and you want then to have them in say, 4 Shading Domains.

Select the faces to be in the new Shading Domain and click on the "new" button. Rename as desired.

And the next set of images ;-)

011.png
    651 x 610 - 64K
    012.png
    642 x 605 - 57K
    013.png
    647 x 615 - 61K
    014.png
    982 x 644 - 97K
    015.png
    1366 x 648 - 162K

And some more:

016.png
    1269 x 696 - 149K
    017.png
    825 x 604 - 91K
    018.png
    1029 x 722 - 174K
    019.png
    1366 x 669 - 208K
    020.png
    969 x 652 - 92K
    edited October 2015

Exactly which direction one uses varies per model and what it is. One can edit the dials to reflect things like open-close for doors, etc.

For getting templates, I recommend using a free utility like D3D UV-Viewer ... save out large "square" images for templates. Hexagon's are better than nothing but for any amount of serious texturing one would be happier with D3D UV-Viewer which Chohole recommended somewhere in the forums once upon a time. There are a few other similar utilities which are either free or inexpensive.

The remainder of the images:

021.png
    1049 x 515 - 115K
    022.png
    544 x 613 - 55K
    023.png
    1112 x 651 - 97K
    024.png
    940 x 660 - 78K
    edited October 2015

Ok thanks and I will give all this a go later today, Will post any questions here if I get stuck.  I know about D3D UV-Viewer, downloaded it a few months ago but can't find any tutorials on it, every time I search I only get blender tutorials...lol  I have your other pdf tutorials with regards to rigging and all, so I should have everything, My unerstanding of what I am reading is the only thing that gets in the way sometimes.

I just realized something.  Once I have this made and I have all my folders and images set up in the poser runtime in Daz I have no idea how to save this to make sure it works in both Daz and Poser...lol  I have about 2 weeks before losing internet so plenty of time to try all this and then ask.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

@SickleYield

I too have a question about rigging so trying to stay OT.

Do you still have the tutorial for V4/M4 in DS rigging you posted a while ago. You PM'ed me with it and my messages got eaten at some point before I had a chance to read it (now)?

thanks!

Ok thanks and I will give all this a go later today, Will post any questions here if I get stuck.  I know about D3D UV-Viewer, downloaded it a few months ago but can't find any tutorials on it, every time I search I only get blender tutorials...lol  I have your other pdf tutorials with regards to rigging and all, so I should have everything, My unerstanding of what I am reading is the only thing that gets in the way sometimes.

I just realized something.  Once I have this made and I have all my folders and images set up in the poser runtime in Daz I have no idea how to save this to make sure it works in both Daz and Poser...lol  I have about 2 weeks before losing internet so plenty of time to try all this and then ask.

For D3D UV-Viewer simply load the .obj file ... on the left side unfill or fill those little circles which toggles their visibility. Then "save" the item ... it saves out .png to any size/shape one wants which is why I keep stressing "square" because Hexagon's uvmaps are square. Nice colourful maps :-)

Hmm .... well one needs Poser or a testor who has Poser to check if files will work in Poser. As of late it seems that less and less of what is created in D/S will necessarily work in Poser entirely correctly. Poser also has been making changes so "good luck".

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,258

I'm coming up on a point that I think I'm going to have to re-rig a pair of wings to use them in Studio. They're some of Arki's. The Harpy wings. Beautiful model. But it comes apart if you move anything beyond wingarm 2, and there are several things beyond wingarm 2.

The Malaik wings which were a set that she brought out some time before these give me no problems at all. But those were built for Poser version 7+, the Harpy wings call for Poser version 9+ and that turns out to be a deal breaker. I think that if they could be rerigged without weightmapping they'd probably work just fine, but it would be a project. They're a complex wing set.

What I'd like to know is if there is any way to start over and make sure that the areas that are supposed to stay connected when posed *stay connected*. At present as soon as the bone they are connected to is moved they come adrift.

I have re-uploaded the tutorial you were asking for in the other thread:

http://catherine3678a.deviantart.com/art/Legacy-Rigging-Props-reup-568764574

JOdel said:

I'm coming up on a point that I think I'm going to have to re-rig a pair of wings to use them in Studio. They're some of Arki's. The Harpy wings. Beautiful model. But it comes apart if you move anything beyond wingarm 2, and there are several things beyond wingarm 2.

The Malaik wings which were a set that she brought out some time before these give me no problems at all. But those were built for Poser version 7+, the Harpy wings call for Poser version 9+ and that turns out to be a deal breaker. I think that if they could be rerigged without weightmapping they'd probably work just fine, but it would be a project. They're a complex wing set.

What I'd like to know is if there is any way to start over and make sure that the areas that are supposed to stay connected when posed *stay connected*. At present as soon as the bone they are connected to is moved they come adrift.

Is there a way, yes. It would amount to a remake of the model though and would be worthy of its own post except that I do not own this set so cannot show you how to fix that one particular set.

D/S4.9 beta is out as per some other threads so whether or not what was will still be we don't know yet. As I recall, I think the mesh has to be entirely "one" to start with from Hexagon and each desired "bone to be" has to be a Shading domain/material. This then being grouped in D/S using the content creation tools and the shading domains/materials remade and it's a lot of work and then the new .obj exported out. Then brought into the Figure Setup and legacy rigged.

• ArkiArki Posts: 199

Not promising anything, but I might rerig some of my older wings for DS in the future.

Among them the wings of the Lilithai Strigoia, which I take you mean by the harpy wings JOdel?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,258
    edited October 2015

Yup, that's them all right. I've managed to use them a couple of times in something like the default pose they load in. And the wing base and wingarm 1+2 can be posed without the child portions coming adrift, but from wingarm 3 on, everything starts coming apart if moved.

I have got the Studio version of the Wings of Despair which are similar, but I really like that fine membrane and it's tracery of the Harpy wings.

I generally scale them up for use with horses. Horses don't have feathers. (They make *great* Thestral wings. I even used the feather wing covers for this one.)

Thestral.jpg
    800 x 1179 - 169K
    Post edited by JOdel on
  • DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096

I sense a tutorial I can use to rig a tail. Bookmarked.

• ArkiArki Posts: 199

Yes, I know about the problems with the higher wing sections.

I'll have to see when I have some time, if I can get them to work and rerig them in DS.