• So how do I choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges

Yes, never done them before

• New to Daz Studio

Hardly

• Newer to 3D Rendering in General

Doubtful

• Or if you have not participated in the September Depth of Field Challenge in a previous year

Yesm I have not particiated before in the September Depth of Field Challenge in a previous year

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile

Never have

• Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics

I do and am always open to learning new concepts and techniques

• Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics

Yes

• Or if you have all ready participated in the September Depth of Field Challenge in a previous year

Nope not that I am aware of

And BTW, if this is a challenge, what do we get for succeeding the challenge vs failing the challenge?

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

lorddayradon said:

So how do I choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges

Yes, never done them before

• New to Daz Studio

Hardly

• Newer to 3D Rendering in General

Doubtful

• Or if you have not participated in the September Depth of Field Challenge in a previous year

Yesm I have not particiated before in the September Depth of Field Challenge in a previous year

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile

Never have

• Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics

I do and am always open to learning new concepts and techniques

• Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics

Yes

• Or if you have all ready participated in the September Depth of Field Challenge in a previous year

Nope not that I am aware of

And BTW, if this is a challenge, what do we get for succeeding the challenge vs failing the challenge?

In theory, if you never participated in the NUC you can choose beginners level. The question you should be asking yourself is if the topic is still a challenge for you, then sure go for it. Having used DAZ studio for a while, beginners level might not be all that new to you so you might want to take a look at intermediate level.

Note that it's called a challenge and not a contest, you are challenging yourself, not beat others, we'd rather encourage sharing experiences and insights so others can learn from that as well, and that's the biggest part of the win. We do have a small price for the images that will be showcased after it is finished. And there is no failing it, I suppose you will always take something home with you and if it's "only" a new image.

Usually people participate for a while until they feel that they can't improve anymore on the topics we offer through the year and will continue to learn more by themselves.

Over all you can read up on the rules here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3440/new-user-challenge-rules-and-regulations#latest 

but let me know if you got further questions.

• Really didn't like the hair, so I tried again!

AGR-small.png
    616 x 800 - 1M

Stargazey said:

Really didn't like the hair, so I tried again!

yes that hair is the better choice, now you might want to give the metal of the bar spade a slight tinge of metally reflection

• A little bit of highlight!

American Gothic Revisited (Small).png
    616 x 800 - 1M
  • I'm trying to attach my render but it gives me "no file data could be found in your post" sad

Here is the render. :)

• phimetaverse said:

I'm trying to attach my render but it gives me "no file data could be found in your post" sad

You need to make the image avaialble to other users, currently it is limited access - to you I guess.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Richard Haseltine said:

phimetaverse said:

I'm trying to attach my render but it gives me "no file data could be found in your post" sad

You need to make the image avaialble to other users, currently it is limited access - to you I guess.

I clicked on the link and it loaded. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited September 2023

@Richard Haseltine

When I posted that last post I got this page but the post had posted.

Sorry Something went wrong. Try again later.

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826

Here is the second and final version of my image. Constructive Feedback welcome

phimetaverse said:

Sorry this this keeps being difficult, I could open the link but it doesn't allow me to copy the address to insert it here, so if your could try to upload it here on the gallery and link to it there, that would be easier

the image looks well made with a nice focus on the character

sueya said:

Here is the second and final version of my image. Constructive Feedback welcome

it much better now with the additional light, still the gound is kind of off I think you need to set a different tiling of it in the surface settings. As well you don't seem to have used depth of field in your render? Maybe you can try to change thos two things?

• While i probably stumbled too late over these forums to participate in this challenge in particular,
    and although i would probably start at the beginner level anyways,
    it is fact, that the intermediate challenge reminded me that there is a thing like canvases an i wanted to try use it today.

I (re-)watched that first tutorial video but when i wanted to start working, i already failed at finding the canvas tab.
    Its not at the same place anymore.
    Would someone experienced be willing to save me some research time and point me towards the right direction?

Thank you!
    best regards,
    fb

Ashampoo_Snap_Mittwoch,-27.-September-2023_07h00m49s_002_.png
    1017 x 1330 - 151K
    edited September 2023

f.boschanski said:

While i probably stumbled too late over these forums to participate in this challenge in particular,
    and although i would probably start at the beginner level anyways,
    it is fact, that the intermediate challenge reminded me that there is a thing like canvases an i wanted to try use it today.

I (re-)watched that first tutorial video but when i wanted to start working, i already failed at finding the canvas tab.
    Its not at the same place anymore.
    Would someone experienced be willing to save me some research time and point me towards the right direction?

Thank you!
    best regards,
    fb

now that's interesting, I have it exactly in the place it was expected,  may I ask which version of DAZ Studio you use, I have 4.21.0.5 in the screenshot

Can you try to go to the little hamburger menu next to the blue render button ->preferences -> show hidden proberties and set a hook to that, then restart DAZ studio and check again?

Screenshot 2023-09-27 09.10.06.png
    394 x 818 - 41K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • Linwelly said:

Can you try to go to the little hamburger menu next to the blue render button ->preferences -> show hidden proberties and set a hook to that, then restart DAZ studio and check again?

Thank you for taking the time!
    Its still the same. 
    I use Version 4.21.0.5 pro. As i understand it, DIM does install updates and therefore it should be the latest stable version.

f.boschanski said:

Linwelly said:

Thank you for taking the time!
    Its still the same. 
    I use Version 4.21.0.5 pro. As i understand it, DIM does install updates and therefore it should be the latest stable version.

sorry that this didn't help, yes if you goy with the DIM updates you shold be on latest but some peopel do like older versions or work on the lates beta, so it's always better to ask.

I will bring this problem forward in our team, and hope to find a quick answer there

• Linwelly said:

I will bring this problem forward in our team, and hope to find a quick answer there

Thank you!

f.boschanski said:

Linwelly said:

Thank you!

we got a solution and it's actually a bug in the system we reported just now

Here is what you can try: it seems you are using a Style for your Daz studio that is either called High way or Main street, try setting that to the standard darkside theme (windows->style-> select style in the preview setting you should be able to see if the Tabs canvases and bridges pop up.

if you then select the cavases tab and change back to your prefered style you might loose the other two tabs from your visuals again but keep the one selected, or you stay with the darkside, let me know if that worked for you

• Linwelly said:

we got a solution and it's actually a bug in the system we reported just now

Here is what you can try: it seems you are using a Style for your Daz studio that is either called High way or Main street, try setting that to the standard darkside theme (windows->style-> select style in the preview setting you should be able to see if the Tabs canvases and bridges pop up.

if you then select the cavases tab and change back to your prefered style you might loose the other two tabs from your visuals again but keep the one selected, or you stay with the darkside, let me know if that worked for you

Thanks a lot man! That worked. I was using "mainstreet". I saved my style before changing and after swapping back, the active tab was still visible, but the other two disappeared. Exactly as you wrote.
    HOWEVER..  its just the visibility.. if i hover over the disappeared tabs, they do appeaer. its only the active tab that does stay visible. but i can select them all and once selected, the font stays visible.

• f.boschanskif.boschanski Posts: 188
    edited September 2023

btw... i get rhis message on every post now.. for about 1 or 2 hours now

"

Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
    Please check back in a little while."

The comment does still show up though..

EDIT: murphys law.. ended when i wrote about it

Post edited by f.boschanski on
    edited September 2023

Alright... new user challenge, beginner level:

as there isn`t a lot of time left, but i was just "in the flow" of figuring things out,

i decided to give it a try; not using a new setting but my current "real" project files.

because usually i am learning to create my own printables, using DAZ.
    This is a bust i created for the current miniature painters guild challenge.
    The theme was quite easy this time: Just saying "paint a bust".
    Thats why i decided to create my own, as i had not created a bust yet.

What better use could i make of these (learning) challenges, than combining two on the way?

-- how do i get rid of the "lens flare(?)" on the eyes. Or should i?

My entry would be the first render. I dont really like the placement of the object-explosion. Qould need to re-arrange the setting.
    But not sure if i find the time.  The bust is already printed and sitting on my table, waiting to be painted.
    I just stole some days to participate in the challenges i stumbled upon over here.
    I added the "explosive" one anyways. Just to show off  ;)
    no postwork done

EDIT: Probably should render the explosion on itself and try to place it in postwork. but then the lighting wont be proper.
    seems to be useless. could cut it out roughly in photoshop and try out placements over there.

anyways.. time to catch some sleep.
    i will add it to the gallery with items used later.

EDIT 2: oh i forgot to mention: beginners challenge, because its my first "concious" DOF render

bust_promo.png
    1108 x 1440 - 2M
    Bust_Promo_01.png
    1108 x 1440 - 2M

f.boschanski said:

btw... i get rhis message on every post now.. for about 1 or 2 hours now

"

Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
    Please check back in a little while."

The comment does still show up though..

EDIT: murphys law.. ended when i wrote about it

yes, we all love that message, it get's worse when you have an image attached or are quoting other posts, it's know and being worked on,

but great that the canvas tab thing is at least solved to a workable solution !

f.boschanski said:

Alright... new user challenge, beginner level:

as there isn`t a lot of time left, but i was just "in the flow" of figuring things out,

i decided to give it a try; not using a new setting but my current "real" project files.

because usually i am learning to create my own printables, using DAZ.
    This is a bust i created for the current miniature painters guild challenge.
    The theme was quite easy this time: Just saying "paint a bust".
    Thats why i decided to create my own, as i had not created a bust yet.

What better use could i make of these (learning) challenges, than combining two on the way?

-- how do i get rid of the "lens flare(?)" on the eyes. Or should i?

My entry would be the first render. I dont really like the placement of the object-explosion. Qould need to re-arrange the setting.
    But not sure if i find the time.  The bust is already printed and sitting on my table, waiting to be painted.
    I just stole some days to participate in the challenges i stumbled upon over here.
    I added the "explosive" one anyways. Just to show off  ;)
    no postwork done

EDIT: Probably should render the explosion on itself and try to place it in postwork. but then the lighting wont be proper.
    seems to be useless. could cut it out roughly in photoshop and try out placements over there.

anyways.. time to catch some sleep.
    i will add it to the gallery with items used later.

EDIT 2: oh i forgot to mention: beginners challenge, because its my first "concious" DOF render

nice idea to combine the two challenges and get a print out of it, I want to get into the printing one day as well but, well time ... but out of curiosity how large are you printing that?

as for your questions: the reflection in the eyes might come with the surface setting of the eye material, either with the eye moisture or with the sclera, if you select those surfaces you might find in the cutout opacity setting a black texture map with two white spots (sometimes for both surfaces) you can either choose a different eye texture in the materials settings, not all have these premade reflections or and that's what I do I use a simple water shader for the moisture and a glass shader for the sclera, this should result in only thing that are actually in the environment being reflected. Though depending on your light settings it might be the light actually reflected in the eyes

the little insert with the parts explosion would be a perfect situation to actually use canvases because with that you get the light setting as they are in the rendersettings but can have the results on different layers, you can of course clothe the eye icon in the scene tab on everythign you don't want to render with the explosion (keep the lights and the background structure)

or you do it the way you did, there are always several ways

edited September 2023

Linwelly said:

nice idea to combine the two challenges and get a print out of it, I want to get into the printing one day as well but, well time ... but out of curiosity how large are you printing that?

Thank you. i will try the options you described. Its probably a lighting issue. But i am still a beginner and it took me a long time to get the lights where they are atm. . Give it a year and i might figure it out  ;)
    until then, i will try to fix it with material changes.
    To your question:  print size depends upon the goal. Apart from tabletop models, which i have not done a lot yet, i usually create at common DAZ size, export and work at 100% Daz-scale in Blender. (i changed the translation within blender)
    If i print it at full size, it is usually collectable size (around 150mm?) - but quite often i print at 50% or 25% to save cost or due to printer limitations. I could give precise numbers if you wish so. Its just, that these things are for personal use and most of the time i dont care too much.If i need a particular scale, i drag "sir scalesby" or another measure toll into microsoft 3D builder and scale my model accordingly.
    That said.. i got still a lot to learn. Although i have done reasonable progress during the year i am working on this new task, its still very often "try and error".

As insomnia takes its toll again, i grabbed a few pics of my progress so far.
    These models were created with DAZ. All but "Howard". Thats more of an early kitbashing piece. But thats where it all began...
    ...while i should be training my painting skills, (i only started painting with oils shortly before i discovered DAZ), i found myself spending a lot more time on learning the 3D print creation.
    It doesnt come easy, nor cheap. thats why i added a pic with some of the failures...  Learning blender, DAZ and more about 3D printing in general at the same time is quite challenging. But well worth it!
    its really great to see things come alive.. - quality wise, nowhere close to what one could buy from a professional - BUT mine  ;)
    ------
    EDIT:  Darn...  error again and the pics disappeared. maybe were too much.  While i am going to try upload them again, i am not goanne sort them again chronologically

00.png
    1120 x 1440 - 948K
    03.JPG
    4200 x 1800 - 2M
    07.JPG
    4200 x 1800 - 3M
    PM_01.png
    1914 x 2048 - 4M
    Scale.png
    1080 x 1440 - 2M
    34mm_scale_DAZtoTT.png
    712 x 696 - 174K
    Lust_02.png
    1120 x 1440 - 1M
    Lust_01.png
    1120 x 1440 - 2M
    001.JPG
    3072 x 2048 - 3M
    Rockabilly_00.png
    1108 x 1440 - 2M
    DSC_0174.JPG
    4160 x 3120 - 3M
    DSC_0167.JPG
    4160 x 3120 - 4M
    RedScribe_00.png
    1800 x 2800 - 7M
    RedScribe_03.png
    1800 x 2800 - 7M
    RS_PP_Render.png
    1236 x 2000 - 2M
    ScribePrintable_Front.png
    1236 x 2000 - 3M
    ScribePrintable_BackA2.png
    1236 x 2000 - 3M
    m7.png
    1280 x 1600 - 3M
    IMG_3574.JPG
    3072 x 2048 - 3M
    IMG_3631.JPG
    3072 x 2048 - 3M
    DSC_0176.JPG
    4160 x 3120 - 4M
    DSC_0160.JPG
    4208 x 2368 - 3M

that's a lot of neat print work, thanks a lot for sharing!

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

This is the final version of my image I managed to get some DOF into it and I found some more suitable paving stones

• YinaYina Posts: 10

Hey! I'm new here. I have a background in Art, but I've started 3D rendering recently. This is my take on Depth Of Field - an unwelcome surprise by the campfire. The render was colorgraded in Procreate, please tell me if this is okay. And I'd love some feedback, even though I probably can't change too much anymore.

dof03.png
    2000 x 1200 - 3M
  • Yina said:

Hey! I'm new here. I have a background in Art, but I've started 3D rendering recently. This is my take on Depth Of Field - an unwelcome surprise by the campfire. The render was colorgraded in Procreate, please tell me if this is okay. And I'd love some feedback, even though I probably can't change too much anymore.

I love it!

• Linwelly said:

that's a lot of neat print work, thanks a lot for sharing!

One or two more years...  ;)

Yina said:

welcome to the NUC even when late, that's a great image. Generally doing corrections in postwork is no problem for the challence, if there are bigger changes coming with the postwork we like to see the original render next to the postworked version in order to see if the task of the challenge was done inside the DAZ studio app (just for example one could add the effect of DOF in postwork which is not the intent here)

artwise I have little to add to this, ist's a great composition and lovely light settings, personally I would loosen up the DOF a bit so the person in the front is a bit more of a person and less an undefined form (still blurred though)