Have my fill with weight mapping..

Ok, I'm converting a collar from v4 to g2f.

Pic 1 is what it looks like

Pic 2 is what it looks like when the neck is tuned

Pic 3/4 is the weight mapping.  I've filled it to 100% on the neck bone, so nothing but the neck should influence it and all of it is covered.

SO..why does it warp when the neck turns?

Screenshot 2015-10-22 02.23.54.png
789 x 557 - 918K
Screenshot 2015-10-22 02.24.04.png
793 x 475 - 889K
Screenshot 2015-10-22 02.25.07.png
771 x 530 - 887K
Screenshot 2015-10-22 02.25.17.png
525 x 539 - 725K

Comments

• Have you filled all of the weight maps?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

How about checking the collar for bones other than the neck...and either remove or zero out those weight maps.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Have you filled all of the weight maps?

what other weight maps?

mjc1016 said:

How about checking the collar for bones other than the neck...and either remove or zero out those weight maps.

It has the standard every !@#!@#!@# bone in a body that Daz shoves into anything...is there a way to stop that?

• Setting the neck weight to 100% should clear all other maps - by default DS normalises weight maps (makes sure that the total weighting for any vertex on any axis adds up to 100%) so setting the values for one map to 100% will zero al others. It is, however, possible to turn normalisation off so it may be worth checking that in the Tool Settings pane.

The problem seems to be that despite me setting the neck to 100%, the head and shoulders are still infiulencing on whatever the other things like x rotation and buldge are, despite me manually going thru each setting in neck to fill to 100%.

Screenshot 2015-10-22 16.34.32.png
    1545 x 589 - 1M
  • It might be worth just deleting all the Y Rotation weight maps.  Right-click on the Y's (including the bulges) in the Weight Map pane and select "Remove Selected".  I can't see that the neck needs to affect your collar in any case.

Just delete the other bones...all you need, really, is the neck.

mjc1016 said:

Just delete the other bones...all you need, really, is the neck.

Ok, that worked. didn't know that could be done...good to know...THANKS!

Now to move over to my rigidity thread for the next steps :)

The one part of the Epsilon armor was doing the sam thing...removed the bones that weren't needed and it works/fits great.

Well it's a good trick to know!

Now to figure out how to keep the warping when I turn the neck from happening.   Rigidity seems to be keeping the metal from warping when the neck morphs, but there has to be a way to fix the next part.

Screenshot 2015-10-22 20.03.02.png
    846 x 793 - 1020K
    Screenshot 2015-10-22 20.06.22.png
    863 x 526 - 914K
  • daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459

I wonder if that could be something to do with Tri-Ax smoothing?  I just made some bunny ears, so rigging them is my next project.

• You could create a couple of JCMs for the neck twists, which would get rid of most of the warping.  Failing that, as I said above, remove the Y rotation weight maps altogether.  Then if you needed to twist the collar you could do it separately.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694

If the collar is supposed to be rigid, you could covert it to a prop and parent to the neck. 

icprncss said:

If the collar is supposed to be rigid, you could covert it to a prop and parent to the neck. 

I was wanting to keep it's morphing-ness...though as it is actually split off a jacket (see my other threads for that adventure) It might not actually have any built in clothing morphs. (I moved from this point to the jacket last nite to come back to it later)

daveleitz said:

I wonder if that could be something to do with Tri-Ax smoothing?  I just made some bunny ears, so rigging them is my next project.

I'm sure it's something to do with tri-ax, which the more I learn of it, the more I go WTF were they thinking?

Cayman said:

You could create a couple of JCMs for the neck twists, which would get rid of most of the warping.  Failing that, as I said above, remove the Y rotation weight maps altogether.  Then if you needed to twist the collar you could do it separately.

I'm afraid I don't know any of what you said...creating JCM's...but if I understand the second part, you're saying make it sothe collar doesn't rotate at all...which is not desireable.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

If it's tri-ax weight mapping make sure there aren't any bluge map effecting it, it's by the x y and z weight mapping, just set 'em to 0.00 if they're there.  If that doesn't fix it twist the neck and then look in currently used in the parameters tab (have show hidden on) see if there are JCMs in there, if there is set them to 0.00 (you may have to turn off limits on those dials for it to let you)

Fisty said:

If it's tri-ax weight mapping make sure there aren't any bluge map effecting it, it's by the x y and z weight mapping, just set 'em to 0.00 if they're there.

FISTY-BUMP!

That did it! Woo!