There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 2

Comments

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,094
    "Remember Masters of the Universe? Here's some substandard cosplay! Buy these stylized versions of two recent characters!"

What an... interesting... new sales strategy. Can't say it's doing much to entice me. For whatever it's worth, based on the promos, I do like Kohl Stylized more than Kohl (but won't be buying today as not having the option for interactive license bumps it to "only on deep discount").

Anyway... New WindField hair is a welcome surprise.
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 362

doubledeviant said:

"Remember Masters of the Universe? Here's some substandard cosplay! Buy these stylized versions of two recent characters!"

What an... interesting... new sales strategy. Can't say it's doing much to entice me. For whatever it's worth, based on the promos, I do like Kohl Stylized more than Kohl (but won't be buying today as not having the option for interactive license bumps it to "only on deep discount").

I got all excited when I saw the "One Sale to Rule Them All" card... finally! My brand of nerd!!! Surely there will be a ton of fan content, like with all the sci-fi franchises!

...nope.

• SilverGirl said:

doubledeviant said:

I got all excited when I saw the "One Sale to Rule Them All" card... finally! My brand of nerd!!! Surely there will be a ton of fan content, like with all the sci-fi franchises!

...nope.

yup. i feel like DAZ is slowly abandoning interactive licenses in favor of content that they know will make more money, popular franchises...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,806

Blood-PawWerewolf said:

SilverGirl said:

doubledeviant said:

...nope.

yup. i feel like DAZ is slowly abandoning interactive licenses in favor of content that they know will make more money, popular franchises...

Interactive Licenses on PA products are up to the PA.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Blood-PawWerewolf said:

SilverGirl said:

doubledeviant said:

...nope.

Interactive Licenses on PA products are up to the PA.

they are? didn't know that.

• doubledeviant said:

So they are selling these characters based on the cosplay aspect, but... I don't actually see the costumes. Am I blind? Are they hidden within another product or are they just in the promos to sell the characters and then hoping no one will ask where the outfits came from? 

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 330

mike.smith2005 said:

doubledeviant said:

So they are selling these characters based on the cosplay aspect, but... I don't actually see the costumes. Am I blind? Are they hidden within another product or are they just in the promos to sell the characters and then hoping no one will ask where the outfits came from? 

I couldn't find the outfits either, and I looked. They struck me as well-made. I don't have a need for a He-Man or She-Ra, mind you, but I did want a closer look at the clothes.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,459

I was momentarly excited to see LOTR items being offered. But then I discovered there were only a very few items and of those only the ring was of real interest to me. In order to get the ring I would have to buy both the base pack for $14.99 and the add-on for another $13.29. That would be a total of $28.28 just to get the ring. Thanks but no thanks; that is a bit to pricey for me. 

Charlie Judge said:

I was momentarly excited to see LOTR items being offered. But then I discovered there were only a very few items and of those only the ring was of real interest to me. In order to get the ring I would have to buy both the base pack for $14.99 and the add-on for another $13.29. That would be a total of $28.28 just to get the ring. Thanks but no thanks; that is a bit to pricey for me. 

OK, but consider: You get to rule Middle-Earth ... what's that worth to ya?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,409

Charlie Judge said:

If you just bought the add-on, it would be pretty easy to model a ring to use it with.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,459

Gordig said:

Charlie Judge said:

If you just bought the add-on, it would be pretty easy to model a ring to use it with.

But wouldn't it have to have matching UVs? 

• CensoredCensored Posts: 48

SilverGirl said:

doubledeviant said:

...nope.

Unfourtunatley I can only work so fast! LotR is also much more my style, this wasn't something organised by Daz, unlike the sci-fi bundles, this was just something I did independantly because I really enjoy it and wanted to make it. Which would explain why there aren't a million different items. Hopefully I can make similar products in the future and cover the items you were hoping to see!

Charlie Judge said:

Gordig said:

Charlie Judge said:

Ofcourse, I would love for you to buy my product, but ultimatley you could absolutly do as they suggest, the ring would be fairly easy to recreate the UVs, then it would just be a case of rigging the wearable that you would create.

• ElorElor Posts: 816

We can now know with absolute certainty that @Censored is not Gollum or Sauron or Isildur, otherwise, we would never have gotten a chance to get our hands on the one ring laugh

Elor said:

We can now know with absolute certainty that @Censored is not Gollum or Sauron or Isildur, otherwise, we would never have gotten a chance to get our hands on the one ring laugh

Far too heavy a burden for one man! I have to share the load with you guys 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,409

Charlie Judge said:

Gordig said:

Charlie Judge said:

Yes, but I can't imagine the UV mapping on a ring is terribly complex.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,806

columbine said:

Charlie Judge said:

OK, but consider: You get to rule Middle-Earth ... what's that worth to ya?

Well, but look how well that worked out for Sauron.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 362

Censored said:

SilverGirl said:

doubledeviant said:

...nope.

Unfourtunatley I can only work so fast! LotR is also much more my style, this wasn't something organised by Daz, unlike the sci-fi bundles, this was just something I did independantly because I really enjoy it and wanted to make it. Which would explain why there aren't a million different items. Hopefully I can make similar products in the future and cover the items you were hoping to see!

oh, absolutely no shade to you for this! The pack you put out is lovely and definitely going in my collection. I'm in the process of kitting out my girls' apartment and last night was lamenting the lack of good LotR nerd content to scatter around to make it more "them," and this is perfect. I was just bummed about the misleading marketing getting my hopes up that it was a big organized thing.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,746

Hmm... Today's offers have not been planned that good... The Marsian Princess looks good (except that she should have red skin), but putting her in the cart gives very little benefits and whatever better discounts one gets, requires buying new releases from respective promos.

As they say "There's always another sale"... I like the Mexico City better, so the Princess gets wishlisted

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,094
    edited April 30
    columbine said:

I couldn't find the outfits either, and I looked. They struck me as well-made. I don't have a need for a He-Man or She-Ra, mind you, but I did want a closer look at the clothes.

I was hoping someone might post saying "Those are kitbashes of outfits x, y, z, etc." Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case yet...

I would have kind and encouraging words about the outfits if they were posted to a gallery, or if they were a cosplay worn by an actual person. But as promos in the Daz store, and especially as potential products, they don't cut it, imo.

The He-Man battle outfit is all sorts of wrong, even allowing for creative liberties in the translation to a more 'realistic' style. Especially the chest piece (which doesn't sit in the right place) and the fuzzy underwear and boots. The overall effect is more "male stripper costume" than "fantasy hero". The She-Ra battle outfit looks to be several generations behind the character and just about saran-wrapped to the body. Neither the headpiece (posing serious danger of facial injury to its wearer) nor the skirt look good. (I don't mean to be overly harsh - they're fine as personal art, especially if they come from a place of love for the characters. I wouldn't criticize in such a way if not for their use as promos and concern that low-accuracy/subpar *yet still EL-bound* content might become a norm for future Daz bundles. That would undermine the only real benefit of EL content.)

Their civilian outfits look better, although the white parts on both stand out as lacking real substance.

This figure from Mondo is what I'd imagine a well-done translation of the classic He-Man outfit into "Daz style" to resemble. You could either embrace that sort of toon style (as several MotU products at other stores do) or tone it down, but either way, it's a pointer in the right direction, imo.
    Post edited by doubledeviant on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,334

Charlie Judge said:

There's a free one availble

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/69156/the-ring

• doubledeviant said:

The She-Ra battle outfit looks to be several generations behind the character 

I take that as a plus.  

doubledeviant said:

columbine said:

I was hoping someone might post saying "Those are kitbashes of outfits x, y, z, etc." Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case yet...

The outfits turn out to be slight kitbashes, yes, and they are sourced by JeniMorris over in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/684871/em3d-keera-stylized-hd-for-genesis-9-clothing-question

edited April 30

The fun thing about today's feature is that no one at this point remembers John Carter or cares enough to fuss about potential IP issues.

(Actually, there are none. The original books are well into public domain at this point. The Burroughs company does have a TRADEMARK on "John Carter," which is not the same thing, but those words do not appear anywhere in the Daz materials, and the bikini is a complete fabrication not subject to EL because BARSOOMIANS DO NOT WEAR CLOTHES and the idea of the Barsoomian Bikini Armor is the work of long-ago pulp artists who were not permitted to show Dejah Thoris in her actual mode of undress on a book cover.)

Worthwhile to provide a citation or two, I think, if only so the mods don't fret about unproven assertions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Rice_Burroughs,_Inc. (on Burroughs' company, which he formed HIMSELF, and John Carter's trademark)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejah_Thoris (quotes the paragraph from A PRINCESS OF MARS where it is made quite explicit by ERB what Barsoomians don't wear)

What I want to know (and this is why this is posted in the sales discussion): I can see tie-in category sales on "Space Items" and "Space Craft," because those are tied to the "Mars" concept, even though there is almost none of that kind of thing in the Barsoom books (they have tech, but it's subtle; they fight with SWORDS, people ... and there are no space craft; Carter is TELEPORTED to Barsoom). But what is this "Gorillas and Apes" category? That can only be there because someone assumes people will realize the same guy was responsible for both John Carter and Tarzan ... and that, I think, is a bridge too far, given that no one under sixty (actually it's probably more like eighty*) even remembers who John Carter was now (failed 2012 film notwithstanding), nor knows who wrote him, much less that the same person wrote the Tarzan books. Can anyone else think of a plausible reason why that category is even there?

* I know of John Carter and I'm fifty-six, but I'm weird and read old books. Actually, I never got further than A PRINCESS OF MARS because I find ERB's prose overwrought and not very entertaining to wade through.

Post edited by columbine on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,854
    edited April 30

I bought Sixus1's Princess of Mars outfit at Rendo quite a while ago, and I'll stick with that.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • thistledownsnamethistledownsname Posts: 1,323

I was super excited by the title of today's sale.  And then super disapointed when the barsoom sale didn't have a new 4-arm geograft for barsoomians.

columbine said:

* I know of John Carter and I'm fifty-six, but I'm weird and read old books. Actually, I never got further than A PRINCESS OF MARS because I find ERB's prose overwrought and not very entertaining to wade through.

There was a movie in 2012. It got trashed in reviews, yet I enjoyed it well enough when I watched it.  cheeky Then again, I didn't mind Mortal Engines - I appreciated the spectacle of it. So, take that as you will.

Torquinox said:

I bought Sixus1's Princess of Mars outfit at Rendo quite a while ago, and I'll stick with that.

I like the headpiece, but I already have more Classical Leather Goddesses of Phobos Bikini Armor than I can use. On the other hand, I kind of want to rifle through the category sales and I need a new-release purchase for that, so if I see something in those categories I can really use, I may end up throwing the Barsoomian Bikini into the cart just to get there.

thistledownsname said:

I was super excited by the title of today's sale.  And then super disapointed when the barsoom sale didn't have a new 4-arm geograft for barsoomians.

That would have been something good - I recall people asking about 4 arms on the forum recently. 

Torquinox said:

columbine said:

There was a movie in 2012. It got trashed in reviews, yet I enjoyed it well enough when I watched it.  cheeky Then again, I didn't mind Mortal Engines - I appreciated the spectacle of it. So, take that as you will.

I did say "2012 film notwithstanding" in there somewhere. That film sank like a stone. I saw it in the theatre! I remember rather liking it at the time and I was a little surprised it tanked. I haven't rewatched it since then to see if it holds up.

This discussion has been closed.