Iray aux viewport performance

I'm in a little bit of a pickle here: generally my system is pretty snappy (4790k, 960 4GB), but iray aux viewport slows my system down to a crawl. Even if I switch my render settings (both photoreal and interactive) to GPU only, it seems like that the entire system becomes sluggish. Is there anyway to improve viewport performance such that I can see the results of my edits without switching between iray and texture shading constantly?

Comments

• You can set your main viewport to display in Iray, and eliminate the auxiliary viewport entirely.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

True, but that still makes everything slow down to a crawl, unfortunately :/

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,069

Is the 960 also driving your monitor(s)? It could be that it is just too busy doing the scene and does not have enough GPU cycles left over to give good response to other functions. Try reducing the size of the preview port and see if that helps any.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

I use the AUX Viewport set to Iray all the time and I only have CPU. What I do is hide the AUX Viewport panel by clicking on it, do the adjustment in the main viewport and open the AUX one again to see the changes. Not all changes slow the machine and sometimes I see them in real time. There are times when I forget to close the AUX pane and the computer becomes unusable for a little while. For scenes that do that I set DAZ Studio to Priority Below Normal and Affinity to three cores of my four in Tak Manager and then I can continue doing other things while it works away in the background.

namffuak said:

Is the 960 also driving your monitor(s)? It could be that it is just too busy doing the scene and does not have enough GPU cycles left over to give good response to other functions. Try reducing the size of the preview port and see if that helps any.

Hm, that's a neat trick. I'll try that. I should also test whether or not driving my monitor with the Intel iGPU will help too...

Fishtales said:

I use the AUX Viewport set to Iray all the time and I only have CPU. What I do is hide the AUX Viewport panel by clicking on it, do the adjustment in the main viewport and open the AUX one again to see the changes. Not all changes slow the machine and sometimes I see them in real time. There are times when I forget to close the AUX pane and the computer becomes unusable for a little while. For scenes that do that I set DAZ Studio to Priority Below Normal and Affinity to three cores of my four in Tak Manager and then I can continue doing other things while it works away in the background.

Hmm. Right now I have AUX on the same pane as my Tool Settings. I could potentially switch off to Settings while I'm adjusting then switch back :)

Thanks for your suggestions :D

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    mtl1 said:
    namffuak said:

Hm, that's a neat trick. I'll try that. I should also test whether or not driving my monitor with the Intel iGPU will help too...

Driving your monitor with a second card or onboard graphics should help.

Wow, so... this was unexpected. I switched to the IGP as my primary graphics boot device and not only is my system more responsive during renders but for some reason my renders are actually *faster*. What on earth? :D

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    mtl1 said:

Wow, so... this was unexpected. I switched to the IGP as my primary graphics boot device and not only is my system more responsive during renders but for some reason my renders are actually *faster*. What on earth? :D

Yes, since your system and the renderer aren't competing for the GPU they can both get on with things -- the Intel graphics chip wasn't helping with either the render or with the rest of your system before, now it's devoted to your system needs and the NVidia card is devoted to the render.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,069
    mtl1 said:

Iray eats graphic processors - so using the same card for rendering and driving a monitor causes two issues. 1) the monitor will take about 50 to 200 MB of gpu memory, depending on what else you are trying to run; this is memory that will not be available for a render. 2) The GPU will just be too busy for trivia like painting the new locatoin of a mouse pointer on a monitor.

I have a GT 740 that drives two monitors. Early on, I tried to use it for Iray renders - and I couldn't even play Windows Solitaire at the same time. I now have a new card for Iray and the 740 JUST does the monitors and all is well.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. Come to think of it, I recall reading up on the CUDA scheduler *months* ago and should've clued in on the fact that driving a monitor and rendering at the same time will cause issues :) Doh :)

• I learned this lesson the hard way after several graphic card crashes - on board for monitor, GPU for Iray.