How to create a morph?

I have a static Hexagon model, which includes doors. How can I create a morph to open and close the doors?

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,016
    edited August 2023

DoctorJellybean said:

I have a static Hexagon model, which includes doors. How can I create a morph to open and close the doors?

Seriously, opening and closing doors is not best done with morphs. IF the doors can be separated off, the lot can then be rigged in D/S with better results.

//////////////////////////////////

I have done as you're asking about with mesh that was not mine, the method I used works only if the door mesh can be rotated from the wall. Delightful use of Shading Domains can be used.

Make the door 'all one' shading domain [include the handles, etc.] Select that shading domain. Then rotate the door [might need to right-click somewhere and choose a different pivet point on it]. In D/S the original .obj is selected ... send the morphed .obj over to D/S and make the morph. With the Parameter dials in edit mode,  one can rename one of them to open/close. Zero the morph and save the morph.

With morphed doors swinging open, there is some deformation that happens and that's just the nature of the 3D world.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Catherine3678ab said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Seriously, opening and closing doors is not best done with morphs. IF the doors can be separated off, the lot can then be rigged in D/S with better results.

I have done as you're asking about with mesh that was not mine, the method I used works only if the door mesh can be rotated from the wall. Delightful use of Shading Domains can be used.

Make the door 'all one' shading domain [include the handles, etc.] Select that shading domain. Then rotate the door [might need to right-click somewhere and choose a different pivet point on it]. In D/S the original .obj is selected ... send the morphed .obj over to D/S and make the morph. With the Parameter dials in edit mode,  one can rename one of them to open/close. Zero the morph and save the morph.

With morphed doors swinging open, there is some deformation that happens and that's just the nature of the 3D world.

Thanks for your feedback.

So what would you suggest is the best way? The doors can be separated off.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,933
    edited August 2023

DoctorJellybean said:

Catherine3678ab said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Make it a figure and add bones for the doors (assuming they are hinged - sliding doors/windows are fine to morph).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Catherine3678ab said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Make it a figure and add bones for the doors (assuming they are hinged - sliding doors/windows are fine to morph).

yes