Saphirewild's Randomness Renders

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    edited July 2018

Here is a night time scene I have been working on.

Done in IRay Plus used a spotlight as a street lamp light.

I do think I am getting better with Iray lightings.

I used the freebie side swept hair from rendo it is in 2 parts Here and Here. All 3 outfits are freebies as well mainly from Rendo.

Bad Girls Flirting.jpg
    1500 x 1875 - 3M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited July 2018

Hi Saphire, great render, light scene came out really well, illuminating all three characters, your improving in all aspects, enjoy watching you progress, your creative ideas are marvelous, inspires me, lookin forward to future scene renders, have fun sweet friend.

Post edited by AJ2112 on
    AJ2112 said:

Hi Saphire, great render, light scene came out really well, illuminating all three characters, your improving in all aspects, enjoy watching you progress, your creative ideas are marvelous, inspires me, lookin forward to future scene renders, have fun sweet friend.

Thank you so much my friend @AJ2112 for the incouaging words.

edited July 2018

Here is a WIP I have been working on for the past couple of days, I know I usually do not go in for Si-Fi but could not resist this scene.

I finally got it set up the way I wanted it and fired off the IRay on it, I think it is comming along but still not happy with the lighting so far.

Stopped it @ 75% so it is still real grainy.

Any and all advice is very welcome.

First draft.png
    1500 x 1031 - 4M

What do you think I should do with that WIP I am looking to improve my IRay skills

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
    edited July 2018

Hi Saphirewild, I have a question. Are the aliens supposed to walk on the floor or are they floating in mid air? Right now it seems they are floating. Do to the lighting there is absolutely no shadowing. I assume the floor is emitting a sort of light?

Post edited by Ralf1958 on
    Ralf1958 said:

Hi Saphirewild, I have a question. Are the aliens supposed to walk on the floor or are they floating in mid air? Right now it seems they are floating. Do to the lighting there is absolutely no shadowing. I assume the floor is emitting a sort of light?

The Aliens are supposed to be walking on the floor butttt could be because the girls have scared him/her to jumping off the floor lolz.

I know the lighting has to be fixed for sure, I sure do thank you for taking time to give me some advice!!

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

Got to echo Ralf's comment, there doesn't look to be any shadows in that render somehow? Didn't even know you could do that in iray. It's giving the characters a sort of superimposed feel to them as though either they or the background aren't part of the same scene.

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
    edited July 2018

I would love to help you, just don't know where to start with, since I don't get why there are no shadows at all... It looks like a picture in the back with the figures overimposed. So, first question that comes up in my mind is: is "draw ground" in the render settings tab set on "on"? If yes, how is the "ground position mode" set to? Auto or manual?

Cut.PNG
    391 x 704 - 55K
    Post edited by Ralf1958 on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Boy that's a tough one!  Try looking at it in prespetive view and tilt the camera so that you can see if there is a gap between their feet and the floor.  Also swing the persective view to the right and the left, I've discovered more than once that while I thought my characters were in one spot they were actually 20 feet in front of where I actually wanted them. ( I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me!)  I always check things in perspective view so I don't lose my camera angle but I look at my scene from a bunch of different angles to make sure stuff is actually where I want it to be. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,047

I try to remember to lock my camera so I can't move it by mistake :)

Try Ctrl/D on the things you want grounded. It doesn't drop the feet right to the floor if there is something else going below them that is part of the figure though so I use the slider to get it right on the floor.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited July 2018

I fixed up my Beach Babe render in GIMP 

I am quite happy with it now.

WOW!  You should be happy with this render!  Beautiful lighting, nice DOF.  Great job, Saph!

Post edited by dracorn on

Iray does NOT play well with low lighting like 3DL does.  Grain is the outcome and can be a pain to get rid of.  There are a couple of ways to fix this.

Go to your Render Settings tab and click on Environment.  You can raise the Environment Intensity value.  I suggest you start with at least 2.00 because your figures need a lot more light.  If you have any HDRI's that are bright, you can use them as well.  Distant Lights will also bring up the lighting.  Some people raise the light in Iray and then use filters and/or adjustments in Photoshop/Gimp to make it darker.

Additionally, you can adjust settings in Render Settings / Progressive Render.  Raising Max Samples will allow Iray to perform more iterations to get the render done, and raising Max Time will give it longer to finish the render before the default time limit stops it.  Off the top of my head, I don't recall what the maximum values are for these.  Essentially you will need to manually stop the render when it looks good enough because it will just keep going...

Also, you can raise the Rendering Quality value.  Keep in mind that this alone can change your render time from 15 minutes to 1.5 hours.  You can start with a value of 5 to 10 and can go up to 50.

That's the trade-off with Iray in low light scenes: grain vs. render time.

There are some products out there which REALLY help with this, giving you good lighting without lengthening render time.  Iray Ghost Light Kit 2 allows you to add invisible mesh lights to do this.  Marshian has some wonderful lighting products for dark renders too:  Rim Light Rig Iray and Tenebroso Lighting.

https://www.daz3d.com/iray-ghost-light-kit-2

https://www.daz3d.com/rim-light-rig-iray

https://www.daz3d.com/tenebroso-lighting

HDR's work great for outdoor lighting and there's a ton of them out there.  Also, check out ShareCG, go to the Daz Studio section and put a checkmark in Lights and you will find some free Iray Lighting.  

Iray Lights 01.jpg
    492 x 698 - 105K
    Iray Lights 02.jpg
    461 x 391 - 70K
    dracorn said:

I fixed up my Beach Babe render in GIMP 

I am quite happy with it now.

WOW!  You should be happy with this render!  Beautiful lighting, nice DOF.  Great job, Saph!

Thanks @dracorn I was quite impressed with this render

dracorn said:

Iray does NOT play well with low lighting like 3DL does.  Grain is the outcome and can be a pain to get rid of.  There are a couple of ways to fix this.

Go to your Render Settings tab and click on Environment.  You can raise the Environment Intensity value.  I suggest you start with at least 2.00 because your figures need a lot more light.  If you have any HDRI's that are bright, you can use them as well.  Distant Lights will also bring up the lighting.  Some people raise the light in Iray and then use filters and/or adjustments in Photoshop/Gimp to make it darker.

Additionally, you can adjust settings in Render Settings / Progressive Render.  Raising Max Samples will allow Iray to perform more iterations to get the render done, and raising Max Time will give it longer to finish the render before the default time limit stops it.  Off the top of my head, I don't recall what the maximum values are for these.  Essentially you will need to manually stop the render when it looks good enough because it will just keep going...

Also, you can raise the Rendering Quality value.  Keep in mind that this alone can change your render time from 15 minutes to 1.5 hours.  You can start with a value of 5 to 10 and can go up to 50.

There are some products out there which REALLY help with this, giving you good lighting without lengthening render time.  Iray Ghost Light Kit 2 allows you to add invisible mesh lights to do this.  Marshian has some wonderful lighting products for dark renders too:  Rim Light Rig Iray and Tenebroso Lighting.

HDR's work great for outdoor lighting and there's a ton of them out there.  Also, check out ShareCG, go to the Daz Studio section and put a checkmark in Lights and you will find some free Iray Lighting.  

I think I will be checkinbg out those lights @dracorn for sure, they might even end up slipping into my cart this week comming!

dracorn said:

I think I will be checkinbg out those lights @dracorn for sure, they might even end up slipping into my cart this week comming!

Hopefully on sale!

dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

Hopefully on sale!

Yes hopefully on sale!!!

edited July 2018

Checking the new Morphs for Lee 6 I got today along with a few of the PC items (New Martial Arts Weapons) I got as well!!! Done in IRay!!

Titled:Takahiro Practicing His Martial Arts

I know there is a couple poke throughs I have to fix but other than tat I am happy with this render!!

Takahiro Practicing his Martial Arts.png
    1000 x 1250 - 1M
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2018

I agree, nice renders! Think the horse render is very well done:)

If you want to have ground shadows in 3DL, you need to create a primitive plane and apply a shadow catcher shader to it. The shader can "easily" be created in shadow mixersmiley

Do you know of an up to date tutorial on the shadow catcher shader?Sven Dullah

I have already watched one on youtube but it was a bit out dated.

Hey Saph! Sorry for the late response, not been around much lately, real life got in the way lol. You've done some really nice renders, great progress!

When I get to my DS computer I'll post a simple 3DL shadow catcher shader over here, it's easier than finding a good tut=) Or I could make a mini-tut, it's not very complicated, fortunately.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2018

Hi Saphire, I made some screenshots to demonstrate how to create a shadow catcher, hope you don't mind me posting them here.

1. Create a new scene and load a 3DL skydome, just to cover transparent areas (not necessary, just looks nicer;)

2. Create a primitive plane that will work as the shadow catcher! Select it and turn Cast Shadows off in parameters/display. Also select it in the surface tab!

3. Open the shadow mixer pane, it will look something like this:

4. Delete the Default Material brick on the left by clicking the x in the upper right corner! Now you should have this:

5. Insert the shadow catcher brick and the mix brick by double clicking them in the menu on the left!

6. Connect the bricks, as shown in the screenshot by clicking and dragging! Set the color in the surface brick to pure black, and set the layer in the mix brick to a value between 0 and 1, one meaning black shadows and 0 meaning no shadows! With the plane selected in the scene tab AND the surface tab, click apply!

7. Create a light with raytraced shadows and a sphere or whatever to test your shader!

8. Do a testrender and save as a shader preset! If you want, you can go to the surface pane, click the cog wheel for the layer and rename it to shadow strength or something to your own taste!

You can apply the shadow catcher to any object, just like any shader, like a ground plane or floor;)

SHADOWMIXER 1.png
    1847 x 914 - 1M
    SHADOWMIXER 2.png
    1858 x 922 - 922K
    SHADOWMIXER 3.png
    1847 x 959 - 361K
    SHADOWMIXER 4.png
    1856 x 942 - 277K
    SHADOWMIXER 5.png
    1856 x 953 - 300K
    SHADOWMIXER 6.png
    1862 x 951 - 263K
    SHADOWMIXER 7.png
    1853 x 918 - 964K
    SHADOWMIXER 8.png
    1280 x 720 - 979K
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on

I thank you so much for this tutorial Sven I am going to give this a try tonight when I get the Gbabies in bed!!!!

edited July 2018

There are some things you just can not convert back to 3Delight once they are in IRay!!!!

Living In The Past.png
    1000 x 800 - 1M

Hmm.  I see the trouble with your skydome - you may just want to load a new 3DL one.  

Also, have you changed all your Iray lighting to 3DL?  It looks pretty flat.  This is where your AoA's lights should come in handy.

As far as the other textures are concerned, try adding the original 3DL materials back on.  This should look better than a straight conversion to the default 3DL shader. 

You can also try using some of your 3DL shaders as well.  

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Nice job on the Takahiro render!  Looks like everything came together quite nicely!

Great job on the the mini tutorial Sven, a useful bit of information!

edited July 2018

Well now I was playing around with the new Dream Home bundles I got the past few weeks from Daz and was quite happy with how the render turned out used my own photo for the background.

Done is 3Delight and postworked in GIMP lighting was DH (Dream Home) Default.

Titled: Donna Relaxing

Donna Relaxing.jpg
    1500 x 843 - 1M
    dracorn said:

Hmm.  I see the trouble with your skydome - you may just want to load a new 3DL one.  

Also, have you changed all your Iray lighting to 3DL?  It looks pretty flat.  This is where your AoA's lights should come in handy.

As far as the other textures are concerned, try adding the original 3DL materials back on.  This should look better than a straight conversion to the default 3DL shader. 

You can also try using some of your 3DL shaders as well.  

I tried to do the switch over by script but it did not work out the way I hoped that is for sure. I think I am gonna have to redo that render for sure.

Thanks for your adivce @dracorn and will be using it when I fix this render up.

Nice job on the Takahiro render!  Looks like everything came together quite nicely!

Great job on the the mini tutorial Sven, a useful bit of information!

Thanks for the nice comment @IceDragonArt 

edited August 2018

Poster and banner for The Freebie Contest!!

Vacation Disasters.jpg
    800 x 640 - 553K
    Vacation Disasters Banner.jpg
    400 x 200 - 85K
    edited September 2018

Banner and Poster for Freebie Contest!!

Worst Day Of School Banner.jpg
    400 x 100 - 56K
    Worst Day Of School Poster.jpg
    1500 x 927 - 1M