Winterland and Full Landscape Scenes Slow and Freeze on Render

I am having trouble rendering and viewing large scenes such a Winterland. The viewpoirt moves very slowly or takes even a like 15-20 seconds to even move when rotating the camera. When I try to render in Iray, it just ends up doing nothing and I have to hard restart my computer. My computer specs are: i5 3300, 8GB Ram, GTX970, Windows 7.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I am having trouble rendering and viewing large scenes such a Winterland. The viewpoirt moves very slowly or takes even a like 15-20 seconds to even move when rotating the camera. When I try to render in Iray, it just ends up doing nothing and I have to hard restart my computer. My computer specs are: i5 3300, 8GB Ram, GTX970, Windows 7.

Some of the larger scenes need a lot more than 8 GB of RAM in order to not bog things down.  And if you are trying to render something like that in GPU mode, then you need at least a 4 GB video card AND to have texture compression active.

Here's a thread on using the Iray section plane to reduce render time...it would also reduce the geometry and scene size...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/64447/section-planes-cut-down-render-times#latest

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

You might want to try going to Edit > Preferences > Interface and trying different Display Optimization settings.

• Richard John SRichard John S Posts: 389
    edited October 2015

Thanks for the tips guys. I still can't get it to work though. I think my machine is just not good enough. :(  The slowness is on the texture view setting of the viewport. It's fast if I change it to box filled, but as soon as I try to render in Iray it (WInterland full scene) just completely locks up my computer. I waited for like 15 minutes and still just frozen, and I had to hard restart again.

Post edited by Richard John S on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,046

Are you changing the shader to Iray using the default Iray shader when setting up? It sounds as if they are being changed by DAZ Studio before it starts rendering. Also, is the viewport or AUX viewport set to Iray as this also slows things down as you have to wait on the scene updating? I keep the main viewport on Texture Shaded and the AUX one on Iray and hide the AUX one before trying to make big changes to the scene. Sometimes I can change things with it open and it works fine, other times everything grinds to a halt while the AUX Viewport updates and redraws smiley